free overnight parking

jultola

Hi does anyone know of free overnight parking ie; layby's etc off the M5 around Gloucester area.

We are going on our hols to Newquay and would like an overnight stop for a few hours, but think the

prices for the Motorway services are extortionate.

many thanks

Julia

What about a CL/CS SOMEWHERE CLOSE TO THE MOTORWAY.

There are loads of these small sites inGloucestershire. Cost from £6-£10 depending on facilities etc. much nicer than a motorway service area.....and safer too!

Just spotted Buttercup nursery CL caravan club, have a look for more details. It's listed in the MMM campsites directory.

bolero boy - 2013-09-06 12:20 PM

What about a CL/CS SOMEWHERE CLOSE TO THE MOTORWAY.

There are loads of these small sites inGloucestershire. Cost from £6-£10 depending on facilities etc. much nicer than a motorway service area.....and safer too!

Just spotted Buttercup nursery CL caravan club, have a look for more details. It's listed in the MMM campsites directory.

I would sugest that Julia is looking for somewhere to stop around midnight, much the same as we do, I've yet to find a CL/CS close to the M5 that welomes this.

It would appear that some of the services may have dropped their prices this year, can't remember excactly how much we paid two weeks ago, but it didn't make me wince.

jultola - 2013-09-06 12:16 PM

Hi does anyone know of free overnight parking ie; layby's etc off the M5 around Gloucester area.

We are going on our hols to Newquay and would like an overnight stop for a few hours, but think the prices for the Motorway services are extortionate.

many thanks

Julia

I'm afraid this is typical UK where they've spotted yet one more method to cream money off the motorist. As if the continual motorway road works and average speed cam sections which successfully block up the traffic aren't enough, you get lectured by neon signs informing that "Tiredness kills....Take a Break".......only to pull into the next Service area to be confronted by "No Overnight stops" signs with charges for stays above two hours etc. *-)

My advice to you would be to exit the M5 and potter along some B road until you find a quiet village area where you can park up without any of this daft nonsense.

I've just returned from touring in nine countries ALL of which have facilities at every Service area for HGV's, Motorhomes and Caravans to overnight......without charge. Some have waste disposal points (even at a few Supermarkets!), and fresh water filling is not only expected....it's normal!! Because of this, many people 'overnighting' spend money at the Service area Restaurant (a couple I stayed on even provided free shower facilities), so it's a 'win win' situation. Here in UK I drive off the motorways and take my money elsewhere.

Not too sure about this, maybe someone else can confirm , but there is an industrial estate just off, 200 yards, J9 going towards Cheltenham / Evesham. I am sure I heard of someone parking up there for the night without difficulty not too long ago. There used to be a number of parking spaces going the other way off the junction towards Tewkesbury, mainly I think because this was the area worst hit by floods a few years ago

There is also the C&C site at Cheltenham racecourse

Good luck

Bob

Archived