Routes to Souther Spain and to Portugal

DaveWH

Good Afternoon

I note that a number of members of this forum will soon be packing up and moving to the sunnier area's of Spain and perhaps Portugal.

As a first timer to travel these routes,and as I am now retired could any member give me an indication of the routes they follow and perhaps some idea of how long it takes them to get down as far as maybe the Algarve.

I intend to travel early January and am mindful of weather conditions and routes to avoid I do not wish to get there quickly but would like to enjoy the journey and avoid some of the Tolls if possible or sensible to do so.

Thank you in anticapation

Guest pelmetman

Hi Dave,

We've been doing that trip for the last 3 years, getting to Biarritz for new years eve.

Our route is usually Rouen, Tours, Bordeaux then Biarritz, at that time of year most of the aires will be free...BUT the water will be turned off until you get South of Bordeaux.

We normally avoid the toll roads, but the road that we used to take to Biarritz has now been tolled *-)...........so will find another route this year.

You need to be below Valencia at that time of year to get some decent daytime temperatures. Portugal can be wet and windy 8-) which is why we head for the East side of Spain, this January February we had 2 days of rain......although quite a few gales :-S........

Guest JudgeMental
Our route same as pelmet....was our first time last year and out of season and going again in October ..only go as far as Valencia region...

Our first time last year, tunnel then used toll roads to Rouen then continued to Le mans, Tours, Poitiers where we overnight on an Aire neat Futurescope. Next stop the Aire on the beach at Cap Breton. Next onto Burgos in central spain, styaing near Valladolid. Next day towards Seville and then Portugual. We did motorways all the way as we were delayed leaving the UK. It was a bit of a slog but we stopped every couple of hours to let our dog stretch her legs. The route back was a little more relaxed, headed for Barcelona then Montpelier, across to Grenoble, up into the Alps for a few days then home via the Champagne region. Whata great trip, took 7 weeks in all. Doing it again soon but will try and avoid the motorways and use as many Aires as we can. Get the All the Aires Book or the TomTom camper and caravan has most of the Aies and other camsites on it. Above all else enjoy your adventure

Hi

In January the weather is likely to be poor whichever way you go. Broadly speaking, the further west you go, the wetter it will be; if you take a more central route through Spain it could be quite cold (with potential snow) because of the altitude; and if you go down the east coast, there is more than an even chance of strong winds. Don't mean to put you off but in January I would be tempted to get down to south of Valencia as quickly as possible.

Whichever way you choose, you will have to get past the Pyrenees. In January, I wouldn't recommend going over the top (snow and ice) - which leaves either the west coast or the east coast. Personally, I'd stick with the better roads of the west coast (via Biarritz).

Alternatively, you could skip France and get the ferry to Bilbao/Santander - but this is very much more expensive than the Channel ferries (even after adding in the extra fuel).

But it will be worth it when you get there - we tend to spend every other winter in Almeria Province and have now done six winters there. Have a great trip.

John 47 - 2013-09-07 8:43 PM

Hi

In January the weather is likely to be poor whichever way you go. Broadly speaking, the further west you go, the wetter it will be; if you take a more central route through Spain it could be quite cold (with potential snow) because of the altitude; and if you go down the east coast, there is more than an even chance of strong winds. Don't mean to put you off but in January I would be tempted to get down to south of Valencia as quickly as possible.

Whichever way you choose, you will have to get past the Pyrenees. In January, I wouldn't recommend going over the top (snow and ice) - which leaves either the west coast or the east coast. Personally, I'd stick with the better roads of the west coast (via Biarritz).

Alternatively, you could skip France and get the ferry to Bilbao/Santander - but this is very much more expensive than the Channel ferries (even after adding in the extra fuel).

But it will be worth it when you get there - we tend to spend every other winter in Almeria Province and have now done six winters there. Have a great trip.

I agree, we were lucky , the snow came a couple of days after we crossed central Spain, but the road was really quiet and a pleasure to drive on and the weather through the whole trip was not that good, hence we just drove as far as we safely could each day

Archived