Topping up a Batter problem?

Curtisden

Don’t know if anyone on this forum can advise. I know this should be simple but it’s not!

Cetroen Relay 2012 Camper (Boxer/Ducato).

On checking my Battery levels this week I was unable to work out how you remove the Maxi Fuse gubbins from on to of the batter which covers the Top up plugs.

An advice before I Wander off to my local Citroen dealer to be humiliated.

See Photo.

Yes have removed the 2 small screws and red strap but still holds fast?

I am sure I am missing something but don’t want to start a fire?

Thanks Peter

https://www.dropbox.com/s/az7etq7oh3vdjg7/P1030554.jpg

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2g7c29m8tqexeiu/P1030555.jpg

Guest JudgeMental
I haven't looked or topped up batteries in the last 8 years or so? aren't they all sealed for life these days? So why would a 2012 van need attention....Unless something has made you think there is a problem, remember theses X250's the battery need charging regularly if van not used, as van has a hungry ECU and a radio can draw power as well....

JudgeMental - 2013-09-08 12:34 PM

I haven't looked or topped up batteries in the last 8 years or so? aren't they all sealed for life these days? So why would a 2012 van need attention....Unless something has made you think there is a problem, remember theses X250's the battery need charging regularly if van not used, as van has a hungry ECU and a radio can draw power as well....

Nothing to do with lack of power from the battery setup. In fact the opposite.

Its a service item and as such should be checked more often than I have. Needs water.

Worked out how to take it off but it took a whole pint!!!!!! to get it back to levels?

The Leisure battery in this make is a 180 Amp single unit also a service item requiring checking and topping up. The van 120 Amp traction?

The problem was East Neuk's come as standard with a cleaver solar set up which includes a 85 Amp flexible solar panel linked to a Ampore Power Integrator that fools the charging system into charging at full output when driving even when the Van battery is fully charged. Then diverts excess solar supply to whichever unit needs topping up starting with the van battery. Also keeps the batteries fully charged via trickle when parked on the drive at the back so you never need a 240 link up. In 12 months never used the cable once.

I was concerned as I was not sure how to disconnect the input from the solar panel which was still inputting 2.5 amps today. Did not want to cause a expensive short.

But I will get Citroen to check the Vans charging level when It goes in for its first service .

I too was under the impression that the van battery would be sealed. its not.

Peter

Guest JudgeMental
Blimey! ...maybe i should look at mine *-) Ah but if its a service item garage "should" do it I guess as part of service.....but will have a look anyway

Which battery do you want to top-up? The pic appears to be the the starter battery, topping up of which should be a standard service item.

I doubt the garage will touch the hab battery as it will not be a standard service item.

I'm a bit surprised a 2012 battery took half a litre of water to top it up.

Why not contact East Neuk to check what they recommend, whether they have instructions for topping up, and whether they consider that rate of electrolyte loss normal?

BTW, are you sure the van is due servicing? Don't these now have two year service intervals?

Brian Kirby - 2013-09-08 3:39 PM

Which battery do you want to top-up? The pic appears to be the the starter battery, topping up of which should be a standard service item.

.....I think the days of this being a "standard" service item have (for many makes) long gone.

For the Ford Transit, for instance, the check is only at a full service (not an intermediate, unless the additional cost "convenience checks" are nominated) which could mean every 40,000 miles.

In addition, the visual "check" is just that; if a problem is noted, then remediation (even if that is only a top-up) is chargeable in addition.

Having said that, the local dealer servicing for my Transit is, IMO, remarkably cheap at £430 total for 3 years.

Well, the garage never checked the electrolyte on ours, only marking it inaccessible because it was under the driver's seat turntable. If they're doing yours, you're doing well! :-)

However, it was really the half litre of water it took to top-up after only about one year that caught my eye. I did put some into the starter battery, but only about twice in six years from memory, and even then not that much (hab battery was gel). Just seemed a bit excessive to me.

Brian Kirby - 2013-09-08 3:39 PM

I doubt the garage will touch the hab battery as it will not be a standard service item.

I'm a bit surprised a 2012 battery took half a litre of water to top it up.

Why not contact East Neuk to check what they recommend, whether they have instructions for topping up, and whether they consider that rate of electrolyte loss normal?

BTW, are you sure the van is due servicing? Don't these now have two year service intervals?

I agree with most of that. Its the Starter battery.

I was surprised at the loss and yes it's a service item. But as the first service is 2 years it will be dry as a bone by then at this rate.

Yes I have asked East Neuk for their opinion but as its the Body item I can see them passing it back to Citroen. But as I said i wonder if the Power Integrator has anything to do with this.

Peter

I think I'm right in saying that loss of battery fluid is ususlly a sign of too high a charge rate, or possibly a duff battery (Citroen). So, possibly the alternator output (Citroen) but, in view of the interventions made by East Neuk, equally possibly by their installation not working as intended. That could be due to a design flaw in the installation (unlikely, as there doesn't seem to have been a string of complaints about this), an installation error, or a defective component. It SHOULD be fairly easy to get the alternator outputs and battery condition checked by a Citroen dealer. If they pass within spec, I think the problem would have to go back to East Neuk to investigate. I assume it is all still within warranty etc?

Archived