Water supplies

qwark

qwark - 2013-09-08 6:38 PM

Fairly new to motorhoming , what is the right places to fill up with water if off site. Are garages any good. We don't intend to drink the water - we will buy bottled water for that.

Thanks for any help

Hi qwark; if you use, or intend to use "sites", and diligently top-up whenever you have the opportunity then you'll probably be ok. If in France then aires would be on option, or "aires de service" (ones you can dump chemical loos and grey water at, and take on drinking wate). Plenty of options I think, if there's a tap and it says "drinking water" it's probably intended for general use.

regards

alan b

docted - 2013-09-09 11:43 AM

Thomas if not used for drinking, including tooth brushing veg washing etc, garage tap will be ok .

B-)

Although certainly an option, whether or not it's "ok" would be down to the garage owner/staff.......

I would've thought that generally speaking taps at garages are for topping up the odd pint or two in screen wash bottles or rads'...and not for filling up 50-100 litres into MH freshwater tanks.....

Best not to assume...or to feel too "disgruntled" if staff/owner, say no.... ;-)

(..we were told "no,we're on a meter" at one small, independent garage..which we thought was fair enough).

I have heard that some people make use of taps provided in cemeteries. We use a lage watering can to top up water tank when we can't get near a tap - this may be the best option if you want to use a graveyard tap!

I imagine a garage owner would me more likely to say yes to giving you some water if you just wanted to fill up a watering can rather than connecting hoses etc, especially if they are no a meter.

Paul

In principle, you should use only water that comes directly from mains. Water from cisterns and storage tanks should be regarded as suspect, because it may no longer be of drinkable quality. It may be safe to drink if boiled, but may not be safe for washing anything that would be eaten uncooked. It would not be safe for cleaning teeth (or cuts/scratches), unless first boiled.

However, if you use a filter designed to remove orgainc and inorganic contaminants, the above is unlikely to apply. To be sure, you'd need to check what the filter is designed to remove.

I'm sorry, but filching water from graveyard taps is the height of meanness. The water is provided for the benefit of those wishing to water the flowers they place on graves. They are not there to fill 20 gallon tanks on motorhomes, and doing so is, IMO, a reprehensible abuse.

Brian Kirby - 2013-09-09 6:02 PM

In principle, you should use only water that comes directly from mains. Water from cisterns and storage tanks should be regarded as suspect, because it may no longer be of drinkable quality. It may be safe to drink if boiled, but may not be safe for washing anything that would be eaten uncooked. It would not be safe for cleaning teeth (or cuts/scratches), unless first boiled.

However, if you use a filter designed to remove orgainc and inorganic contaminants, the above is unlikely to apply. To be sure, you'd need to check what the filter is designed to remove.

I'm sorry, but filching water from graveyard taps is the height of meanness. The water is provided for the benefit of those wishing to water the flowers they place on graves. They are not there to fill 20 gallon tanks on motorhomes, and doing so is, IMO, a reprehensible abuse.

Totally agree with this. I cannot believe that people would stoop so low as to take water on a motorhome at a cemetary. Pay £50k+ for a motorhome and steal water from the dead

Words fail me

Mike

I never use sites but its usually easy to find water. Garages are ok. Just ask and maybe top up the diesel in return.

Grave yards are ok for topping up a 5 litre container I suppose or a few water bottles but I agree with the others. Not really on pulling the van up and filling it with a hose!

A lot of countryside public loos often have taps on the sides or back of them.

I drink anything unless it says not for drinking. Non Potable in France.

Some campsites will let you fill up for a fee but some will tell you to get lost! Their loss.

Have taken on water for the motorhome at:

Formal campsites

Aire de service type arrangements

Churches

Public springs

Garages

Hotels

Pubs

Mountain streams

Public toilets

A nice man's house

Public hydrants

Additionally, have taken on water when on the push bike at:

Shops

Restaurants

Cemeteries

Cafes

Drunk straight from them all, haven't yet been ill: don't have any moral dilemmas.

Mike B. - 2013-09-09 7:42 PM

Brian Kirby - 2013-09-09 6:02 PM

Totally agree with this. I cannot believe that people would stoop so low as to take water on a motorhome at a cemetary. Pay £50k+ for a motorhome and steal water from the dead

Words fail me

Mike

#

If you are on the Hebrides with No site for Miles, a Cemetary is a perfectly reasonable place to get water, Enough of it 'Falls from the sky' onto our 'Fair Country' . it is only the water companies trying to extract profit from it that are the 'Stealers' of water. I feel no guilt at all from getting water from where-ever I can.

And the amount I paid for my van has nothing to do with it. I pay for my Electricity without fail, but object to paying for a resource that falls from the sky.

I have a built in water purifiying system in the van that removes ALL contaminants,according to their blurb anyway.

Rayjsj - 2013-09-10 1:47 PM

... it is only the water companies trying to extract profit from it that are the 'Stealers' of water. I feel no guilt at all from getting water from where-ever I can.

.... I pay for my Electricity without fail, but object to paying for a resource that falls from the sky.

(lol) ...So I suppose the "water faeries" magically purify your water and them pump it into yours(and everyone else's)house out of the kindness of their hearts then Ray...?.

..or do you only drink and bathe in rain water from your water butt in your garden ?... (lol)

Ooh, forgot.

Sports Centre

Marina

Somewhere in Majorca never to be mentioned.

I should really fit a purification system. What do others use?

That said what with open water swimming and all that, I've consumed now what must be gallons from most every kind of water body imaginable complete, no doubt, with a good deal of supplementary matter without any grief.

Got 'slimed" pretty badly in Switzerland once though thanks to an algal bloom.

I think water companies are very philanthropic entities that in no way would put shareholder profiteering before their obvious altruism.

crinklystarfish - 2013-09-10 3:46 PM

Ooh, forgot.

Sports Centre

Marina

Somewhere in Majorca never to be mentioned.

I should really fit a purification system. What do others use?

That said what with open water swimming and all that, I've consumed now what must be gallons from most every kind of water body imaginable complete, no doubt, with a good deal of supplementary matter without any grief.

Got 'slimed" pretty badly in Switzerland once though thanks to an algal bloom.

I think water companies are very philanthropic entities that in no way would put shareholder profiteering before their obvious altruism.

I dont purify any water. Dont think you really need to at least not in Europe these days. Maybe 30 years ago perhaps or now in Africa and the like but not in France or Switzerland etc.

People are so paranoid these days about health and safety if it wasnt fit to drink they would either shut it off or put a sign on it.

I guess if your going to drink stream or river water etc you should purify it but I have to say Ive never had to resort to that other than by choice in mountain streams in the alps.

Guest Peter James
Mike B. - 2013-09-09 7:42 PM

Pay £50k+ for a motorhome and steal water from the dead

Mike

If the dead want to get up and have a drink there will still be plenty of water left in the tap ;-)

Seriously - worst case scenario, the Church is on a meter and the person taking the water never puts money in the collection. But the Church is still one of the wealthiest institutions in the country, most of its income comes from property which we all pay indirectly - rent on farms reflected in food prices etc.

PS: How did you know they paid £50k+ for a motorhome, or did you just make that up?

pepe63 - 2013-09-10 2:21 PM

... it is only the water companies trying to extract profit from it that are the 'Stealers' of water. I feel no guilt at all from getting water from where-ever I can.

.... I pay for my Electricity without fail, but object to paying for a resource that falls from the sky.

(lol) ...So I suppose the "water faeries" magically purify your water and them pump it into yours(and everyone else's)house out of the kindness of their hearts then Ray...?.

..or do you only drink and bathe in rain water from your water butt in your garden ?... (lol)

The 'Water Board' used to do the job, for a modest 'at cost' rate, added to your house Rates (now council tax). But since 'some Idiot' sold the infrastructure for our water supplies to 'Private Enterprise' they want to charge us 'Per litre'. For a resource that falls from the sky.

I don't have a water meter, and will fight tooth and nail to 'not' have one. I might even sink a borehole if it gets 'nasty' in the future ? *-) Ray

Mike - Pay £50k+ for a motorhome and steal water from the dead

The taps aren't for the benefit of the dead - they're for the living to use.

And for a ready supply of water, especially in France during the Winter months, the taps outside Cemeteries are very helpful for Motorhome users - a few Euros left in the nearby Church will clear any consciences.

When in Ireland for 4 weeks recently we got fresh water from various sources including cemeteries on a couple of occasions (just a container full to top-up), toilet blocks (nice 'clean' ones!), a marina where motorhomes were permitted to stay etc. Also we had joined the Office of Public Works (like English Heritage) as we intended to look at a lot of their properties so when we visited their sites we topped up there too, and also at garages we visited - we always asked permission at these places first and didn't 'abuse' the privilege, the only time we couldn't was because one of the garages didn't know if the water was for drinking or not so we played safe and didn't use it.

The only time we did a complete fill-up was when Hubby 'accidentally' turned on the fresh water drain tap instead of the waste water one and emptied the whole lot out but we didn't find out until we'd stopped for a late afternoon cuppa!!! *-) Fortunately we passed by a small village school and noticed that they were getting the grounds ready for the new term so we asked if we could get some water to tide us over for the night and the caretaker let us fill-up which was very kind of him. :D

We carried a couple of large bottles of water which we'd bought previously in France so kept them as 'back-ups' just in case (can't do without my cuppa tea!) and we used them after the marina top up as, although the water was safe to drink, it had a strong lime taste which we didn't like, so we used it just for washing/cooking etc and the bottled water for drinking.

Whilst I can't see a problem with discretely and respectfully using water from a cemetery I do agree that you should not abuse it by taking a tankful! We found that the best thing overall was to only take a container full (15L) to top, doing so often so as not to take much from one place and also this kept the tank water fresher.

We use 20 litres per day for the 2 of us, including 2 showers, so just keep a 10L container out and fill whenever and wherever. Never had a problem in finding a free source each day yet in any country. Not used a cemetery yet but would have no qualms about doing so.

This year in France we took with us a dozen or so various jetons bought just in case in previous years but never needed to use one. The problem there for us is the time limits on many of the bournes as ours is a very very slow filler.

The little tank in the Elddis is only 55 litres (measured from empty to full and overflowing) so this year I found space for 3 x 10 litres containers to be stowed. We filled them up before leaving home in Scotland ..... and emptied the very same 30L of water out on the drive upon our return 3700 miles later :-D

As an aside to this, if anyone is thinking of getting a collapsible water container, then the 'cube' one in the first picture is the 'best' as it has 2 handles which makes it much easier to pour into the water tank, rather than those with just one handle with makes it like trying to juggle with a large block of jelly!

We also have a couple of slim rigid plastic 5L water containers (you can see one along with the 20L 'jelly' type in the second picture below) and one of these fits nicely in the washroom behind a drawer unit so is out of the way, it is useful to keep as a 'back-up' and also to get some extra water especially if we're going to be washing our hair (not showering) as it saves using the tank water as we usually do this by boiling a kettle rather than using the water tank.

1144815053_20Lwatercarrier.JPG.a33c0e54c410102cfd2afc8a57afbcb4.JPG

1949233079_watercontainers.jpg.6335fd641d9bf8f235e474aa3a277097.jpg

In any event don't district / town / parish councils own most cemeteries in the UK?

You know, the same ones that benefit from council tax precept and also charge families of the deceased through the nose for any kind of service / maintenance / headstone fixing / headstone re-lettering etc etc?

I do agree that it would be morally dodgy to fill a motorhome when anyone was tending a grave, it may cause offence, but if done discreetly I see absolutely no issue. Can't imagine the council in charge subjecting itself to a water meter, and even if they do, I see no issue in exploiting the exploiters anyway.

May I suggest that regardless of what source you use for water, you may have more problems with your tanks themselves. Leaving water in any tank or container for any length of time is likely to allow bacteria to form and on board tanks should be 'steralised' regularly and even then it is best to have a separate container for drinking water. Also even buying bottled water is no guarantee as if it has been stored in the sun for any time then again bacteria can be present.

However, if you are normal human beings then your system will usually be able to handle the odd bug or 2 floating in there, unless you have lived very sheltered lives.

Do what the Scots do, use water for washing and whisky for drinking.

Dave225 - 2013-09-10 8:43 PM

Do what the Scots do, use water for washing and whisky for drinking.

Not sure which has shocked me more ... the fact that you would use whisky for drinking - surely it would make a cup of tea taste rather funny - or that you actually WASH!!! 8-) :D (lol)

Some years ago I took my elderly mother to her cottage in France and discovered that her even more elderly sister had introduced her to the habit of puuting a shot of whisky in her morning tea. When I checked the amount it would probably have put her over the French limit.

Rayjsj - 2013-09-10 4:51 PM

pepe63 - 2013-09-10 2:21 PM

The 'Water Board' used to do the job, for a modest 'at cost' rate, added to your house Rates (now council tax). But since 'some Idiot' sold the infrastructure for our water supplies to 'Private Enterprise' they want to charge us 'Per litre'. For a resource that falls from the sky.

I don't have a water meter, and will fight tooth and nail to 'not' have one. I might even sink a borehole if it gets 'nasty' in the future ? *-) Ray

When we went over to a meter it reduced our water bill by over 50 per. cent.

Guest JudgeMental

So does anyone have a set of cemetery POI for europe? Dyin to know :D

Pepe anyone I know who has changed to a meter (including families) have ended ed up with significantly smaller bills..my neighbour bill fell to a third!, Its a bit like the poor blighters who have to pay significantly higher costs for gas/electric if they have a charge key or no direct debit...but water a lot worse! *-)

Archived