Water supplies

qwark

Eddie, like Sundowner, we switched from paying our water based on the rateable value of our 4 bed detached house to a meter and we now pay roughly half.

OK, we spend more time away now and actually use a lot less water, but we now only pay for what we use.

For those with families, especially with kids who have no idea how to turn off a tap (or a TV or a light etc) then I would stay on the rateable value system till they have flown the nest and you are in control of your own spend!

I agree..I can't see what is so wrong with meters?..If you use it, then you pay for it...

..and although I'm not defending large multinational utilities companies, I still can't make head nor tail of Ray's "..I pay for my Electricity without fail, but object to paying for a resource that falls from the sky..." comment...?..

...unless you're drawing your water from a well or stream etc, it isn't just "falling from the sky", is it... :-S

(Sorry,continued Off Topic.... )

Mel B - 2013-09-10 10:35 PM

Dave225 - 2013-09-10 8:43 PM

Do what the Scots do, use water for washing and whisky for drinking.

Not sure which has shocked me more ... the fact that you would use whisky for drinking - surely it would make a cup of tea taste rather funny - or that you actually WASH!!! 8-) :D (lol)

What is 'tea'.???

For many many decades the good citizens of Glasgow received all their water supplies direct from Loch Katrine. At some time in the late 90's somebody noticed that the shores of the loch had lots of sheep grazing and the sheep used the loch for natural functions. Health and Safety then demanded a filtering system be put in and then the Water Board received lost of complaints from Glasgow citizens that 'the water did not taste the same'.

As for washing...............Is there an 'R' in the month? If so it must be that time again.

Cemeteries are the best places for water. I have spent many an hour wandering round the oldest headstones and reading them. Some of them are very interesting and are more than just names and dates, especially in Scotland.

If somebody walked past my grave with a water container, I would point out the tap. I expect he would not hang around though. :D

Archived