New Kon Tiki owner

Jamstar

arjxh56 - 2013-09-10 10:05 AM

I think some pictures are needed... I would love to see the finished conversion.

Not sure if its near you but the council depot at cargate, J41 on the M1. They have a weighbridge and allow motorhomes to use it.

Yeah sure! I can sort out some pictures of both the manhome and track car. They're parked up together in my dads yard.

Fantastic! Thanks for the info :)

I think some pictures are needed... I would love to see the finished conversion.

Not sure if its near you but the council depot at cargate, J41 on the M1. They have a weighbridge and allow motorhomes to use it.

Also forgot to say, the council depot do Motorhome MOTs too.. they have a huge HGV lifter whereas most garages cannot lift the big kontikis. They are very thorough, i have taken my vehicles to them for a few years now.

The council depot is called 'Newton Bar'. Tel: 01924 306431

While I remember! Do you know the service history of the Kontiki? The axles should be greased every year or 10000 miles which ever comes soonest. Both wheels need to be lifted off the ground at the same time (although there is an argument that you can do them one at a time).

I mention this as I never knew about this and clearly ours had never been done and the rear axle springs snapped. Im guessing its an alko chassis and the same as our old one (axle, I know have the newer heavier duty one from Alko). Its a simple job but many dont do it.

The consequence for us was a replacment which came in at £2600. If your running close to the max weight and doing a lot of miles over all sorts of terrain they get some hammer so best get it done.

arjxh56 - 2013-09-10 10:25 AM

Also forgot to say, the council depot do Motorhome MOTs too.. they have a huge HGV lifter whereas most garages cannot lift the big kontikis. They are very thorough, i have taken my vehicles to them for a few years now.

The council depot is called 'Newton Bar'. Tel: 01924 306431

Fantastic! Many thanks for the information :)

Barryd999 - 2013-09-10 3:56 PM

While I remember! Do you know the service history of the Kontiki? The axles should be greased every year or 10000 miles which ever comes soonest. Both wheels need to be lifted off the ground at the same time (although there is an argument that you can do them one at a time).

I mention this as I never knew about this and clearly ours had never been done and the rear axle springs snapped. Im guessing its an alko chassis and the same as our old one (axle, I know have the newer heavier duty one from Alko). Its a simple job but many dont do it.

The consequence for us was a replacment which came in at £2600. If your running close to the max weight and doing a lot of miles over all sorts of terrain they get some hammer so best get it done.

Thank you! Tips like these are the reason I joined the forum :) Great stuff. I've had a word with clarky whos the mechanic at my dads spot and he's going to check this after the habitation service is done. Thanks!

It has a full service history. When we looked back through the invoices, it's had a lot of unnecessary filters, fluids and suspension components fitted to be quite honest! But hey, I'm not grumbling lol. The previous owner really loved this thing! He's probably be devastated to see what I've done with it haha.

Guest JudgeMental

a google search throws up a few issues with rear axles as been suggested on here....had a look at weight plate? :-D

your a lucky fella..most us could only afford tents into our 30's :D I remember as a youth admiring Kontiki's they looked so adventurous probably because of the TV program and name........

• 3 weeks later...

Hey everyone, me again (under a new username, I cannot log into my original account? Also a password re-set isn't being sent to my email. So I thought it best to create a new account!)

It’s official, I am now a motorhomer! (Or moto-homo as my brother so pleasantly puts it lol)

We spent 4 nights in Germany at the Nurburgring and 2 nights in Amsterdam before returning home. Whilst in Germany I partly got to experience one of my lifelong dreams. I didn’t get to drive it for obvious reasons, but I was offered a passenger lap in my absolute all-time favourite car, the renowned Ferrari F40. I was in absolute awe for hours. I couldn’t even believe he had the balls to take this thing on track. He wasn’t giving 100%, but it was just so so special to even be inside it. It depresses me that I don’t have one :( haha. When released, this car must have been so far ahead of its time it’s actually shocking! Even by today’s standards it’s up there with the best of them. He was an English fella from Wiltshire and one of the most genuine people I have ever met. He told me to contact him next time I was coming out as he’s a ‘ring’ regular. So I will most definitely be calling him!!

We stayed on the Camping-de-Nurburgring site which was lovely as always (we’ve camped here before). The local bars/restaurants were on top form as always. Absolutely fantastic food and beer dished out in HUGE portions. This place really is heaven for me! We’d wake up in decent time, get out on the bikes for an hour or so, a full day of driving in between checking out the car park (better than any car show ever! Except Goodwood) and speaking with fellow petrolheads. The evening would consist of going to a bar and restaurant, followed by returning to the manhome and our assortment of entertainment! Pure bliss!! I now just NEED to get my girlfriend into motorhoming, I am convinced she would enjoy it.

We stayed at Camping Zeeburg in Amsterdam, again, a lovely spot and right by the water which was nice. I delved into the local culture by trying some of Amsterdam’s finest weed in one of the coffee shops! Let’s just say… I will NOT be trying that stuff again in a hurry! It absolutely rattled me haha. It took a couple of coffees and red bulls before I mustered up the ability to even move lol. It was an experience that’s for sure! Not an altogether enjoyable one though.

We had such a fantastic time that we’ve already started planning a trip for November. My parents have a villa in Nerja, Spain so we’ll be making our way down there (I’ve been informed that its fantastic drive and route, so looking forward to that). We’re then contemplating driving up the coast via Barcelona and Monaco, before visiting a famous road that I have always wanted to drive, Stelvio Pass in Switzerland. Then it’d be onto the Nurburgring again and back home. Now this is one hell of a journey for only my second, so nothings set in stone yet. I’m definitely up for it though so I’m confident we’ll make it happen.

Thanks for ready my ramblings :)

Guest pelmetman
Sounds like you've been on a few trips..........what with the wacky baccy :D..........have you managed a trip too a weighbridge yet? ;-)

Hi Jamstar

With all that electrical equipment fitted, I doubt an additional Leisure Battery will cope for very long.

When you have checked your weights, it may be worthwhile considering if you have room & capacity for a generator on board. Guess most of your nights will be spent track-side,( rather than on campsites) so the noise generated ( sorry for the pun) shouldn't be a problem.

• 2 weeks later...
pelmetman - 2013-10-03 2:09 PM

Sounds like you've been on a few trips..........what with the wacky baccy :D..........have you managed a trip too a weighbridge yet? ;-)

I've been to Amsterdam a few times now, but that was the first time I'd smoked weed. Silly me opted for one of the stronger ones, not my brightest idea! The problem is, whatever you buy, it's local custom to smoke it ALL in that particular café. If I do have it again, it'll be moderation that's for sure.

Yeah we visited the local Swindon Quarry in Cracoe who have a weighbridge. It's perhaps a few kg's out either way, but we're safe at the current weight level.

AliB - 2013-10-03 3:25 PM

Sounds like you have the manhome well kitted out. But do you have an electric soup maker?

LOL! That made me laugh. Haha no I'm missing a soup maker! Or should I say my soup maker is left at home as she doesn't like motorhomes (I'm speaking about my girlfriend of course haha). God, if I said that to her face I'd get the look of death for sure!

flicka - 2013-10-03 9:10 PM

Hi Jamstar

With all that electrical equipment fitted, I doubt an additional Leisure Battery will cope for very long.

When you have checked your weights, it may be worthwhile considering if you have room & capacity for a generator on board. Guess most of your nights will be spent track-side,( rather than on campsites) so the noise generated ( sorry for the pun) shouldn't be a problem.

Hey Flicka,

Yeah we're figuring the same thing. So far we've been on sites so it hasn't been an issue. But as you say, once we're 'out in the sticks' or trackside they won't last awfully long.

I've discussed a generator with Simon who's done a lot of jobs for me now, but nothings really progressed. It'd be a few hundred quid for a decent one, but well worth it in the long run. I have a side cabin that'd be perfect for it. There's just a few odds and sods in there at the moment.

So my next trip is coming up!

On November 4th I’ll be going over to Kneza Domagoja in Croatia (outskirts of Zagreb) to collect some clio v6 trophy magnesium wheels (very rare) for my track car. Now this may sound a little crazy lol, but these wheels are worth £3000 and he’s selling them for £289! It’s an absolute steal and he obviously has no idea how much they’re worth.

So me being me, decided a road trip was in order :D. I could have organised collection with a haulage firm I know for £190+VAT, but I’d quite like to visit Austria, Slovenia and Croatia, so we’ve decided to make a little holiday out of it and visit the Nurburgring on the return leg. It’d be rude not too considering it’s about 20 minutes off route!

Archived