Blind Spot Mirror Replacement Fiat Ducato 2002

chasm

Yesterday, on a very narrow stretch of the road from Nerezine to Cres, an impatient Austrian motorhome whacked our left-hand wing mirror. We had slowed to walking pace!

The miiror housing made a small dent in the door and the blind spot mirror was crazed. The big mirror is ok.

Can we get the small mirror replaced on its own? How is it removed? Would a stick-on mirror be adequate as the backing plate is intact? We would welcome any advice on how best to proceed.

....I'm not sure how you remove the glass from this particular mirror, but once the method is understood, it usually isn't too difficult.

It can certainly be replaced as a single unit; there are numerous suppliers, the following link being simply an example:

http://www.wingmirrorshop.co.uk/fiat-ducato-c-18431_18469_18474.html

(4th pair of items down).

We had a 2005 Ducato based van, which I think had similar mirrors (both upper and lower electrically adjustable) to yours. If so, assuming the mirror glass is held in the same way, there is a spring wire clip behind the mirror that can just be seen with the mirror rotated as far toward the van, and a bit down, as possible. The clip needs to be hooked with something, then pulled away from the van and slightly forward, to disengage it. You'll feel when it comes free. The mirror may then just fall out, or you may need to have another fiddle with the clip. If you get a Fiat replacement you will see the attachment mount cemented to its rear, and the nature of the clip will become more obvious. It may pay to get a new clip as well, in which case all will be obvious. From memory, the clip is first fitted to the mirror, which is then just pressed back on and clicks into place. Not too costly, and not too dificult to DIY once you get the hang of the clip. Much safer, IMO, than a "stick on" to an already broken mirror, that may eventially decide to fall off in any case.

Thanks for the advice. My mirror has no electrics so it should be simpler to fix than a more modern one. I'll have a look for the spring clip attachment first. Thunderstorms forecast for this part of Croatia so that may impede the investigation.

• 2 months later...

I delayed fixing our mirror until we returned to UK. I realized that there many different fittings and ours was not like those suggested on the thread. Barn Garage at Keyworth, who service our truck, tracked down the correct bit. It cost just under £40 but they fitted for free while doing other work.

The main mirror has to be removed, by undoing a spring, to get access to lower mirror mounting. The blindspot mirror is mounted on a plastic frame to which it's attached by a cup and ball which in turn is held together by a spring-loaded bolt: the frame itself is held in place by two lugs and two screws. Getting the correct part and then fitting it without breaking the main mirror is not a DIY job!

The only DIY solution for this type could have been a stick -on glass.

Thought I should complete the thread for the benefit of others who might face the same problem.

Well I hate to say I told you so :-> .

Seriously, anyone thinking of using the stick-on replacement, do not remove the original crazed glass, the supplier that I used specifically says not to, make sure you carefully align the new glass before pressing home, the adhesive pads will not give you a second chance, sticks like stuff to a blanket.

Archived