URGENT electrical advice please!

Karmann Gipsy

Hi All I am fitting a din socket in the back of the van to fit one of those 12V rotating fans (Think A class dashboard!!) I'm not sure what fuse to use in the circuit. The fan manual only says 12V DC, output 12W. Any ideas as to what the amps consumption is and which fuse I should use? If someone could also brief me on the calculation, then next time I can work it out for myself ! Many thanks!

Hi John - you are a busy chappie. To work out amps from Volts and Watts. Divide volts into watts the result is amps. I always think of a 12volt 6watt car bulb as 0.5amp, if I can't remember the formula. PS - Nearly forgot - The fuse usually protects the wire as well, so most cable will take at least 5 amps, so thats the fuse size I would suggest, you can go smaller but not much larger. Regards Terry

[QUOTE]Karmann Gipsy - 2006-08-16 12:45 PM Hi All I am fitting a din socket in the back of the van to fit one of those 12V rotating fans (Think A class dashboard!!) I'm not sure what fuse to use in the circuit. The fan manual only says 12V DC, output 12W. Any ideas as to what the amps consumption is and which fuse I should use? If someone could also brief me on the calculation, then next time I can work it out for myself ! Many thanks! [/QUOTE]

Your calculation as above is correct.  The answer is, indeed, 1 amp. 

However, don't use a 1A fuse, because almost all electric motors have a higher starting current than their running current.  Try something around 3A.  Terry is correct, the fuse is there to protect the wire from the feed to the fan, so, use a heavier gauge of wire to the socket than you think is warranted by the 1A fan load - to protect against voltage drop.  Make sure the wire is rated for at least the same load as the fuse - and keep it as short as you possible can.  Put the fuse as close to the battery as possible, installing it in the positive feed between the battery and the DIN socket.

Stay cool!

Archived