Citie Europe

Noodles

I posted on this very point earlier this year, the general consensus was that it is reasonably OK but just take care. We stayed there in May and again in July, and found it absolutely fine. The big advantage is the proximity of the shops, so it's very good for stocking up b4 you return, although we only used it on the way out both times. The toilets are good and are cleaned just b4 they open, tand here's a police station right next to the parking.

We did see a pair of asylum seekers going to the shops at opening time (toilets?). otherwise no sign of that sort of thing. Wheat surprised me was the realisation that it is literally just the other side of the fence to the Eurotunnel facilities, never quite noticed that before. I wondered why it suddenly got busy out there every half hour. But it does mean you can take a cheaper late night crossing and quietly but quickly settle down without any hunting around, and it's so large there's no problem getting in, unlike Wissant . We don't hand around in the morning, just use the facilities, buy some croissants and take off.

I posted on this very point earlier this year, the general consensus was that it is reasonably OK but just take care. We stayed there in May and again in July, and found it absolutely fine. The big advantage is the proximity of the shops, so it's very good for stocking up b4 you return, although we only used it on the way out both times. The toilets are good and are cleaned just b4 they open, tand here's a police station right next to the parking.

We did see a pair of asylum seekers going to the shops at opening time (toilets?). otherwise no sign of that sort of thing. Wheat surprised me was the realisation that it is literally just the other side of the fence to the Eurotunnel facilities, never quite noticed that before. I wondered why it suddenly got busy out there every half hour. But it does mean you can take a cheaper late night crossing and quietly but quickly settle down without any hunting around, and it's so large there's no problem getting in, unlike Wissant . We don't hand around in the morning, just use the facilities, buy some croissants and take off.

Thank you Tea Cup,

I booked with DFDS to Calais cos we were thinking of driving into Belgium which could still be an option , weather dependent of course. We have been to Calaise before but never taken the MH as we only bought last year. i looked at other ferry companies and one in particular P & O said we had to take the MH across as freight because of its size 8.73m long and I'd also read some good reviews with regards to DFDS on this forum and as you said Brittany ferries are a bit more expensive although worth it if Brittany were to be our prime destination

To be honest I'm a bit nervous about going to France in the MH due to all the horror stories people come out with although other motorhomers we have met said that we will be fine. I am such a worrier :-(

We spend more than 2 months each year France, and love it there. Driving is easier, they're a let better set up for MHing over there. The French are civilised and tolerant, if not outright friendly. Give it a try, don't be put off by the hard luck stories. You get problems in UK, too.

DFDS are OK, I wouldn't bother booking, they really sting you if you need to change the booking, their ferries are normally hugely underused, plenty of space. Just book on the day, or when you get there.

Please ignore the bit about booking a ferry when you get their, it will cost you double. Brittany is not far from Calais, easy with one overnight stop or get an early ferry and do it in one go. Not sure why anyone would want to spend three weeks their though, if the weather is bad, which it often is, three days will be enough.

If the weather isn't too great next June in Brittany, usually on par with Cornwall weather, go as far down the west coast as you can to find better weather.

Try and use the Aires rather than campsites, it keeps the costs down, and just meander along.

Three weeks is long enough to see a great deal of what France has to offer and still have a relaxing holiday.

We only used Aires in June/July this year and with brilliant weather, wall to wall sunshine, we had a wonderful holiday.

For an insight to Aires have a look at this site – www.youtube.com/user/keithchesterfield

As for Cite Europe – it's a shopping mall with a few bargains, a good food hall and most shops selling overpriced goods that are easily bought in the UK or on-line much cheaper.

Unless you have a specific reason for going to Picardy / Somme, I would give them a miss for 2014 as its the 100th anniversary of the start of WWI and there will be lots of services and pilgrimages to the battle sites. You will need to book up sites well in advance too, cannot comment on the Aires *-)

Tea Cup - 2013-09-09 11:26 PM

DFDS are OK, I wouldn't bother booking, they really sting you if you need to change the booking, their ferries are normally hugely underused, plenty of space. Just book on the day, or when you get there.

This is incredibly bad advice. If you turn up and buy a ticket at the Port it will cost twice the price.

Guest searchforsites
Noodles - 2013-09-09 6:22 PM

We are off to France on Saturday for a week and wanted to know whether a visit to Citie Europe is worthwhile.

We are also wondering how far into Brittany we should travel as we're not in France very long hoping to go for 3 weeks next June :-D

We went to Brittany in June for 1 week via Calais and managed most of the North coast, weather was brilliant,

Carrefour at Cite Europe is good for cheap wine 10l BIB (bag in a box) for 15€ and its OK. (much lighter to buy than 10 litres in bottles)

1779.jpg.4881888a558b15ea5805cca7e1403e70.jpg

Please be careful at Cite Europe . we had stayed there with no problems in the past, but in July 2011, on a busy Saturday afternoon we parked up near several other motorhomes. When we returned 2 hours later we discovered to our horror that we had been broken into. Windows ripped open, door lock ripped off....not a huge amount stolen, Sat Nav, packet of cigarettes, few other bits and pieces, but damage to the van cost over 4000 euros! Police and security helpful but couldn't do a lot! Apart from that, we love France and have traveled there extensively, making particular use of the Aires and have never had any other problems.

Enjoy, have fun.

Thank you all for your advice its much appreciated. Looking at the weather forecast it looks like it will be wise for us to travel down towards Brittany as we have an early morning crossing booked we could do it in one go. My mum has suggested we go to La Baules ( excuse my spelling if its wrong) have seen images on the internet the beach looks lovely. A friend has suggested we stick to the A roads if go on the motorways we wont see much of France but suppose that depends on how long we want to be travelling.

Archived