Vet charges in France

Mickydripin

Hi all,

I thought that vet charges were cheaper now I have just had my dog sorted to return to the UK at a local vet in France and was charged 48 euros.

30.50 for the consultation,

7.30 for the tablet, "milbemax chien 5x10 CPRS"

And 10.20 for the "frontline combo chien s unite."

Have I been robbed again it cost me 40 euros last year.

Mike.

Guest searchforsites

In the past for two Westies, we have paid anything from 14€ (outskirts of Paris) to a whopping 140€ (Koblenz) . Never again!

This year we were prepared and took our own tablets and some translations together exact cost before agreeing to the examination.

The 5 day period allows you much more flexibility and time to be choosy.

Within the star tof the 5 day window we pulled up at the first vets we came across just on the outskirts of Macon and was go smacked when the vet . who also spoke good English . Said it would be free, just pay for the drugs, ahhh! I thought he was going to sting us for the tablets but explained we had our own and he said that's fine it's still free!

Anyhow, he did all the necessary paperwork and true to his word there was no charge, we were that shocked and pleased with the service, we gave him 20€ anyway

Guest searchforsites

Will look for the details on the passport stamp.

RE the original post, why did you have the Frontline? Tick treatment is no longer required for the scheme.

Hi.

We go through the procedure regularly, as many others do. Yes, you have to be on your guard for being "ripped off", although, excuse the pun - "once bitten twice shy!! " We were charged 90€ several years ago, by a vet near Les Touquet. Addmitted, this was before the changes, but we learned from our experience and started to present the French vet with medication purchased at home so only paying for the formality.

We continue to do this, buying Mibemax tablets from our own vet, and end up paying 25€ to 30€ for the examination, prizing the tablets down the dogs throat, and the important part the stamp on the passport. As someone has already pointed out, there is no longer a requirement for Frontline, although I consider that it is better to be safe than sorry and administer the Tick treatment regularly, myself.

What bugged us the last time was the queue at the pet passport inspection office coming back through the tunnel. Although it was early morning, there was a long backlog, due to a guy who evidently had all day, hadn't got the right paperwork and didn't even have a ticket for the dog. This threw the guy in the office into a tizwaz and as a result we missed our booked slot even though we arrived at the terminal in plenty of time. We were looking forward to seeing the M25 with no traffic on it, (lol) but failed miserably.

*-)

Guest searchforsites
chick2 - 2013-09-11 7:44 AM

searchforsites - please give information about which Vets you have used and I can add the details to the recommended Vets Map - http://goo.gl/maps/dGJM

Any help appreciated.

Keith

The vets used were

Dr J M Gilbert

Route de Madelieine (D1079)

01750 Replonges

03 85 31 07 78

Price FREE!

46.300377, 4.876058

plenty of space to park MH

Previous was:

Dr Boulange

Bd Anatole le Braz

22220 Treguier

02 96 92 30 47

48.789018, -3.231169

Park MH in aire 50m away

http://www.searchforsites.co.uk/marker.php?id=1716

Price: €40 (inc. bandaging a cut on one of the dogs paws)

Both were found using the search for locations facility on searchforsites that list all Vets, Dentist, Doctors of the site selected. Gotta love Mr Google.

thomas - 2013-09-11 10:43 AM

What bugged us the last time was the queue at the pet passport inspection office coming back through the tunnel. Although it was early morning, there was a long backlog, due to a guy who evidently had all day, hadn't got the right paperwork and didn't even have a ticket for the dog. This threw the guy in the office into a tizwaz and as a result we missed our booked slot even though we arrived at the terminal in plenty of time. We were looking forward to seeing the M25 with no traffic on it, (lol) but failed miserably.

*-)

As an aside to the 'cost' issue, if you are near the Eurotunnel Terminal before your crossing time you can actually have your dog's passport checked and entered into the Eurotunnel system immediately after you've been to the vet if you wish but of course you still have the mandatory waiting time of a minimum of 24 hours to a maximum of 5 days in which to then return to the UK - the passport check doesn't have to be done on the day you are due to travel.

We found out about this 'advance' passport checking when we came back in June this year - we 'accidentally' went to the Eurotunnel terminal instead of Cite Europe around tea-time the evening before we were due to travel, so seeing as we were there we asked if we could get them checked then (to save having to get up earlier in the morning!) and found out we could ... we were then able to get a crossing back that night instead for nowt due to their 'being confused' ... but that's another story and nothing to do with the pet passport!!!!

I should imagine its right, but hard to check them all :-S and the one we have used t he most isn't on its at

Marquise Clinique Veterinaire Des Caps, 9 Avenue Ferber 62250 Marquise tel: 33321928912 they are very reasonable 28euro for 2 dogs taking our own tablet I use Drontel .

There is a very nice lady Vet at Mouzon she also has a clinique at Stenay.

Mickydripin - 2013-09-10 9:39 PM

Hi all,

I thought that vet charges were cheaper now I have just had my dog sorted to return to the UK at a local vet in France and was charged 48 euros.

30.50 for the consultation,

7.30 for the tablet, "milbemax chien 5x10 CPRS"

And 10.20 for the "frontline combo chien s unite."

Have I been robbed again it cost me 40 euros last year.

Mike.

You certainly have been robbed. Even Dick Turpin wore a mask. :D

You don't need the tick and flea treatment anymore, only the worming tablet.

We always use the vet at Bernkastl Kues on the Mosselle. Who only charges 8 euros. His name is Christian Marks and he is just over the bridge and first left and almost opposite the big car park.

He reckons the French vets are are a load of robbers.

With now five days to get it done before sailing, it's well worth the slight detour to the Mosselle. We stop in Belgium at Haan Sur Lesse on the way up from Berncastl to Graveline aire.

searchforsites - please give information about which Vets you have used and I can add the details to the recommended Vets Map

----------------------------

Hi the vet that I used was Clinique Veterinaire docteur Poncet, 16, rue des Sables, 85340 olonne sur mer,

The port that I exited from was Caen there were a few replys but I still did not get what the average price that should be paid.

does the vet have to charge a consultation fee or should they just have to give the dog a tablet and stamp the passport.

Mike.

Guest searchforsites
Mickydripin - 2013-09-13 11:21 PM

there were a few replys but I still did not get what the average price that should be paid.

does the vet have to charge a consultation fee or should they just have to give the dog a tablet and stamp the passport.

Mike.

I think the answer is they charge what they like. I budget around 20-25€ per dog and am happy if its less.

They charge a consultation fee (they are supposed to sign the dog is also fit for travel and administering the tablets.)

Best advise is take your own worming tablets as this is where they can add extra charge.

We used a vet in Colmar in June, checking first with the receptionist who said it would be no more than 20€ so we duly waited. After the 'consultation' the bill was quoted at 90€. The vet was a joke and made a meal of the consultation doing some 'holistic' type checks. We simply refused to pay the 90€ and sat in his office until we agreed on the 40€ figure.

Yes take your own worming tablet, but keep it in the fridge :-S

I forgot and mine was in the dogs bag where all there bits and pieces are! it got very hot over 30+ some days, it must of had an effect as the next day they both were sick :-S I waited a couple of weeks and then repeated the doze.

Mickydripin - do you remember what you were charged at Olonne-sur-Mer?

Average charges are usually between €25 - €40 for consultation, clinical examination, tablet and signing and stamping the Passport.

It should be cheaper if you buy your own tablet and if the Vet is happy to use it.

It's cheaper in places like Belgium, Spain and Vets a long way from the Ferry ports.

There are exceptions, €6.80 at one Vet and €60 at another in France, but we normally pay €34 at the Vet we have used regularly and are always pleased with his examination of our dog.

Olonne-sur-Mer now on the Google Map - http://goo.gl/maps/KFOTC

Archived