Non toll Route Bordeaux to Biarritz

starvin marvin

chick2 - 2013-09-13 11:47 AM

Have a look at - www.viamichelin.co.uk – for a route to go on the Toll roads - or to avoid them.

It doesn't look, from their figures, that it will cost very much in Tolls but it would take considerably longer by non-toll roads.

Thats what I think, it will be interesting if anyone has driven an alternative route other than the N10.

We meandered up and down the 'coastal' road, mainly the D652/D3 between Soustons and Pointe de Grave, in July this year.

A lot of the journey takes you through the largest forest in Europe and there are literally miles and miles of straight traffic free roads and the only thing you see are millions of trees either side.

The trees get bl**dy boring after an hour or two of driving but you can motor at a decent speed most of the time.

We stayed at Aires in Gastes, Souston Plage, Moliets Plage, Mimizan Plage and Lanacau.

If you're in no hurry most of them are worth stopping and having a look around.

Depends what your time scale is but at least going non- motorway you get the chance to see and explore parts of France - and that's better than being bored out of your skull on the motorways.

chick2 - 2013-09-13 4:22 PMWe meandered up and down the 'coastal' road, mainly the D652/D3 between Soustons and Pointe de Grave, in July this year.A lot of the journey takes you through the largest forest in Europe and there are literally miles and miles of straight traffic free roads and the only thing you see are millions of trees either side.The trees get bl**dy boring after an hour or two of driving but you can motor at a decent speed most of the time.We stayed at Aires in Gastes, Souston Plage, Moliets Plage, Mimizan Plage and Lanacau.If you're in no hurry most of them are worth stopping and having a look around.Depends what your time scale is but at least going non- motorway you get the chance to see and explore parts of France - and that's better than being bored out of your skull on the motorways.

Boring? What could be more fascinating than 200 miles of pin maritime, sand dunes and laybyes selling melons and boisson fraîche :D

it depends how much time you have, 2yrs ago late crossing, i,st night "sally fibber in court" sailly flibeaucourt, on a16 toll, then a site outside Cholet, 10e quiet with swimming pool, next aire at montagne sur gironde, crossed the gironde on the ferry at Royan as were heading to andernos, you can miss the ferry and drive down the east bank of the gironde. as for route i put no tolls in the sat nav, check the route on the map and if ok follow "jane".

starvin marvin - 2013-09-13 11:32 AM

Has anyone driven a non-toll route that is viable re time/fuel v's toll cost yet?

Do I take it that the miles of roadworks we went through last year were to upgrade the N10 to a toll road?

Pity if it is as that was one good long toll free section we always use.

David

Guest pelmetman
david lloyd - 2013-09-14 7:00 PM

starvin marvin - 2013-09-13 11:32 AM

Has anyone driven a non-toll route that is viable re time/fuel v's toll cost yet?

Do I take it that the miles of roadworks we went through last year were to upgrade the N10 to a toll road?

Pity if it is as that was one good long toll free section we always use.

David

Yep :-(

Guest JudgeMental
starvin marvin - 2013-09-15 9:50 PM

The more I look at this issue, the more I feel that it will just have to be the new toll road. We will be travelling down to Spain on our winter jaunt, either late December or early January, so not a time to be messing about in France any longer than necessary.

Hardly messing about, N1 not much different then a motorway for most of it....driving a garden shed on wheels makes hardly any difference time wise..not as if your driving a Porsche . You have to be pragmatic though and if no viable alternative to toll for some sections just pay up. I get to Spanish border for less then 20 quid?

Toll calais to Rouen, toll from bordeux to Spanish border. Also you need to come off toll for fuel, shopping, and overnight halts anyway. Spain campers same as cars and tolls cheap anyway (like Italy) so not worth avoiding.....

Archived