Rouen

Dave225

What is the latest on the situation at Rouen? Heading north through there in about 2 weeks time and although I know the bridge is still closed, I also heard there were tunnel repairs just to make it worse. Anyone done it recently? Unfortunately we will hit it on a Friday afternoon, not the best but no choice.

Looked for route around but the extra time is probably longer than the pain of the roadworks.

Dave225 - 2013-09-13 12:45 PM

What is the latest on the situation at Rouen? Heading north through there in about 2 weeks time and although I know the bridge is still closed, I also heard there were tunnel repairs just to make it worse. Anyone done it recently? Unfortunately we will hit it on a Friday afternoon, not the best but no choice.

Looked for route around but the extra time is probably longer than the pain of the roadworks.

Looks like you are going to be our test pilot!

We went through yesterday on our way back to Calais. We were not aware of the problems and went in with both feet. The queues were terrible, the signing was almost none existent, we got lost big time and it added almost 4 hours to our predicted journey time, we may never go that way again. I did see a sign which I think said the bridge will re-open 13th September, but there is a well signed detour round the tunnel closure, follow the signs S1 to the A28.

AGD

We came down on a Sunday and also got through without any probs. Unfortunately the ferry means a Friday return. Am also looking at using the D6105 either joining it at Louviers or joining the autoroute and cutting off at J21.

Just wondered if anyone had any better ideas.

Used the proper Deviation both ways this year. There is no problem at all with the new route, apart for having to pay an extra few Euros in tolls. The road was running very well for us both times, and we do wonder if it is a better way through the city. Our advice is not to worry and follow the signed re-route.

Archiesgrandad - 2013-09-13 3:52 PM

We went through yesterday on our way back to Calais. We were not aware of the problems and went in with both feet. The queues were terrible, the signing was almost none existent, we got lost big time and it added almost 4 hours to our predicted journey time, we may never go that way again. I did see a sign which I think said the bridge will re-open 13th September, but there is a well signed detour round the tunnel closure, follow the signs S1 to the A28.

AGD

This July 2013 article

http://haute-normandie.france3.fr/2013/07/08/les-travaux-du-pont-mathilde-rouen-doivent-demarrer-d-ici-la-fin-de-l-ete-284487.html

stated that work to repair the Pont Mathilde bridge at Rouen was scheduled to begin in September 2013, but the bridge was not expected to reopen until Summer 2014. The photo/video graphically illustrate the extent of the damage.

We have just returned from Loire area and enquired locally about situation at Rouen, even the french drivers are getting lost in the deviations. we avoided the area by taking an westerly route vis the pont de taqcanville. It is a bit of a long way round, but with judicious use of the peage the journey was ok. It would seem some make it through Rouen ok , others find it a nightmare ! I didn't want the headache and spoil an otherwise good trip. Choice is yours go towards Paris to the east or Le Havre area to the west. Best of luck. Bob

bob the builder - 2013-09-21 2:58 PM

We have just returned from Loire area and enquired locally about situation at Rouen, even the french drivers are getting lost in the deviations. we avoided the area by taking an westerly route vis the pont de taqcanville. It is a bit of a long way round, but with judicious use of the peage the journey was ok. It would seem some make it through Rouen ok , others find it a nightmare ! I didn't want the headache and spoil an otherwise good trip. Choice is yours go towards Paris to the east or Le Havre area to the west. Best of luck. Bob

Thanks for the info. There seems to be a lot of support for using the D6105 and joining it at Louviers. This also avoids the Paris-Rouen autoroute and brings you out on the north side of the river at the A28. I am tempted to give this a go. I also did look at going the long way round, but did wonder if it was worth it. Ah well, if we 'disappear' for several days you will know where we are.

We came back through Rouen on Saturday and as always there were no delays apart from the usual short stoppages at traffic lights so we sailed through in a matter of a few minutes.

We came from the South up the N15/D6015 from the Vernon / Val de Reuill / Pont De l'Arche direction and, ignoring all the road signs and sat nav instructions to Rouen took our usual route through Pont de l'Arche towards Belboef along the bank of the Seine and joined the A28 a couple of miles before the tunnel.

Painless and simples!

Guest JudgeMental

just spent a few hours doing garmin route for spain trip next week (hooray! you cry!:-D)

had to split into 3 legs as garmin dont like long routes :-S so 3 out, 3 back

Kirbys helped me last year with route (which I lost somehow) and as for Rouen its : A16/A28 - D6028 just north of Rouen - over bridge (still D6028) - D18 - A13 over 2 bridges or tunnels cant remember - D321 - D6015 - A154 and away south...

George Collings - 2013-09-28 4:35 PM

Imagine the size of the insurance bill.

Always a risk when Eddie is about!!

We've stopped putting long routes in Tomtom because if/when you go wrong it takes longer to reroute so we find it easier to plane the whole route on Autoroute and as you approach a town just enter the next major town to avoid town centres.

Brought a new Garmin just before we went away, route planning is a bit better than the old one (2 years old), but still does silly things in France, tells you to turn left while showing a right turn on the map, tries to take you through the middle of big towns when there is a bypass. So we still run Autoroute with a GPS receiver at least you can see the full route and get an impression of the size of the road. French D roads are a real mystery, on Saturday made the mistake of following the sat nav one minute we are on a D road that is a dual carriageway with a hard shoulder the next we are on a lane the same width as the van both D roads no wonder the satnav takes you down strange roads.

I find via points on the Garmin a pain, if the co-ordinates are 100yds out for the via after you have passed the via it will try to take you back to it for ever, you have to cancel the route and put a new route in what a pain.

As Eddie said on another thread Base Camp is unusable only way to plot a decent route is with Tyre to Travel but you have to be on line to use it. Roll on next year when they do away with roaming charges in the EU.

As for Rouen no problems at all on Saturday.

Archived