Rouen

Dave225

lennyhb - 2013-09-30 11:56 AM

Roll on next year when they do away with roaming charges in the EU.

Only for incoming calls so far as I understand it but for data not before 2016 and only then if all 28 member states of the EU can agree so I'm not holding my breath just yet in anticipation of a good deal for data use.

Guest JudgeMental
Lenny..I went back to using mapsource, much more user friendly and no need for internet!. a data SIM in Italy cost £10 a month, same in Spain..France being france still a problem signing up I believe..laughably bureaucratic

Problem with mapsource is it is only available on if yon a DVD or CD with the map files which you don't get these days unless you buy a map update on DVD.

You used to be able to download it but it wouldn't install unless you had brought a map DVD & installed the maps from it.

20 minute delay last Thursday morning at 9.30am going southbound.

Problem exacerbated by the final traffic lights before heading off towards Igoville, where traffic was entering the junction from the left, lights changing and not being able to exit, so blocking when green our way.

Guest JudgeMental
lennyhb - 2013-09-30 4:26 PM

Problem with mapsource is it is only available on if yon a DVD or CD with the map files which you don't get these days unless you buy a map update on DVD.

You used to be able to download it but it wouldn't install unless you had brought a map DVD & installed the maps from it.

Buy a new garmin from amazon. Update and install latest maps. Return unit to amazon....result....free latest mapsource on PC ;-)

• 2 weeks later...

Just to update. We travelled through Rouen on Friday 4th October. We joined the autoroute at Louviers and exited at Junction 21. Very easy route through and joined the A28 at the tunnel. Was out of Rouen in about 30 minutes so quite relieved. There were a few trucks on the road but I suspect most have been diverted another way round.

I know others leave the autoroute at Louviers and go through Pont d'arche, but we just used the normal way and it was fine. Yes, there is a toll but a couple of euros is not breaking the bank.

By the way be aware that if you travel at the weekend expect every aire to full of trucks. They will be parked everywhere, even where they are not supposed to park, so if you wish to stop, you may be unlucky, as we were several times. My opinion is that many are from Eastern Europe so literally 'camp' in aires for the weekend as the number of trucks has seemingly multiplied significantly. Finding a truck parked not only in caravan bays but across several car bays is not a lot of fun. My wife has asked why they are not banned from areas they are not allowed in but the authorities seemingly do nothing about it.

Derek Uzzell - 2013-10-14 9:14 AM

Dave225 - 2013-10-13 7:45 PM

...By the way be aware that if you travel at the weekend expect every aire to full of trucks...

Presumably (based on your reference to "caravan bays") you are referring just to 'aires de services' on motorways?

Yes, usually those without fuel are quieter and one can get in relatively easily, but even these are chokka nowadays. I mention 'caravan bays' because any large motorhome or those with trailers will have the same problems. It was bad enough in the summer months when all of France was on the autoroute but in October .......................?

Archived