watertank purifier, in tank or inline?

birdybiker66

We've only used the MH once so far (sat in it and had a cuppa!) and there's a bit of scum come through the tap, so although once we use it more often it might clear a bit we'd like to use the onboard tank for cold drinks so is it better to fit an inline filter or is there a reliable way of keeping the tank purer / cleaner? And I may fit an extra tap like / unlike Mel ! ;-) Dave

ps. I've just realised it might be microswitched? Bess E480 Anyone know where to look or will it be in one of the many manuals !?

Easiest way is to get your head under the kitchen unit to have a look at the tap from below (if not have a grope round!) - as far as I know if it has wires coming out from it, it has micro-switches, if not then it doesn't.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/171062488797?lpid=83&device=c&adtype=pla&crdt=0&ff3=1&ff11=ICEP3.0.0&ff12=67&ff13=80&ff14=83&ff19=0

Although we still carry a 5 litre water carrier for making tea/coffee during stops enroute we had a Naturepure water filter and separate tap installed in this van and it is one of the best accessories we have fitted. My wife does have a delicate stomach and was a little worried about drinking water in Spain or at some aires so we had this fitted just tapped off the kitchen sink cold supply line which means we don't put.all our water through it.

David

david lloyd - 2013-09-16 7:07 PM

Although we still carry a 5 litre water carrier for making tea/coffee during stops enroute we had a Naturepure water filter and separate tap installed in this van and it is one of the best accessories we have fitted. My wife does have a delicate stomach and was a little worried about drinking water in Spain or at some aires so we had this fitted just tapped off the kitchen sink cold supply line which means we don't put.all our water through it.

David

That's exactly the type of thing I was going to do ... hmmm, decisions, decision, .....

Mains tap water pretty much throughout Europe is perfectly safe to drink, though the taste obviously varies from place to place. It is safe because it is almost invariably, if not invariably, treated to remove harmful contaminants, and chlorinated to keep it sterile up to the tap. However, chlorine is a gas so, once the water is out of the tap, it gradually disappears leaving the water both exposed to, and liable to, contamination. The contaminants will vary depending on what then happens to the water.

In a motorhome tank and water system the contaminants may come from residues in the system, or be drawn in with the air that replaces water as it is used. The chlorine should last about three days in diminishing strength, but after that time the water will be pretty much untreated. It may be safe to drink straight from the tank, or it may not, but the longer it remains in the tank, as a general rule, the more suspect it will become.

The first thing to do with any newly acquired motorhome, whether or not it is brand new, is to flush and sterilise the whole water system to remove any contaminants already there. If using a chlorine based disinfectant (e.g. Milton) read vary carefully the sections of the manual regarding use of such products, as chlorine corrodes stainless steel, and (especially) Truma heaters have stainless water jackets - and are very expensive!

If you are likely to keep the water in the tank for more than three days or so it would be wise to add a purifier to it to keep it from becoming contaminated. Various products are available from motorhome and caravan accessory shops, and also small boat chandleries.

Elsan make two products that seems to me to work well: Fresh Water Tank Clean is the sterilising product, and is chlorine free, and Elsil is a purifier that is claimed to keep the water drinkable for several weeks.

We don't drink tank water unless in hot drinks, preferring to use bottled for cold drinks, but the water from the tank is always clear, free from visible particles, and free of smell. Remember that you may wash fruit or salad, or clean your teeth, in water farm the tank, so it is, IMO, better to be safe, than to have to stay within ten feet of the toilet for a couple of days! :-D

Funny one this one, I always find myself gravitating towards the appeal of a separate filtered supply being available, tapped off and 'treated' through a purifying system and delivered via a dedicated cold tap.

Don't forget that most water will be collected and piped through archaic systems and can pick up all manner of heavy metals and things like leached fertiliser and pesticides. Brian's post hints at what water companies do but there are many more unpleasant chemicals added by the UK companies in an effort to stop this contamination. The nasties they use to kill the other nasties should keep water in a motorhome tank potable for week on end.

I am tempted to get on with fitting a purifier, but then I have a reality check and remember I'm not Howard Hughes.

Suffice to say that I've drunk (via the mh tank) and otherwise swallowed (whilst open water swimming) water from mains supplies, streams, lakes, rivers, canals all over the 'developed' world and never yet had a problem.

In theory at least it makes sense to fit a good quality purification system. In practice I'm not so sure it would make much difference until well out of the 'developed' world.

We have been on the road for over four months now and fitted the Naturepure which is the purifier not just a filter, we have a separate tap for this and is one of the best extras we added. Before this we only used the van a weekends so we took bottles of water from home (filtered) and didn't drink from the tank tap. It depends how you are going to use your van as to weather it's worth the cost, but we do have a nice cup of tea and drinking water without any other tastes. I did drain the water tank a few weeks ago after checking it only to find lots of black bits in it, picked up on route when filling up as I had sterilized it before we left the UK.

I think there is a new model of the Naturepure which has quick release as the other thing to remember is that you will have to drain it down for frost protection. Also about £60+ for a filter east season.

As with all things it is what is right for you.

Archived