Norfolkline Sneaky Fare Increase's

Terrytraveller

I have just emailed Norfolkline with the following - might be a good idea for all those in favour of the remarks to do the same! Dear Sir, Although I have booked with you this time I am very unhappy about your presentation of the pricing policy regarding credit card transaction fee and fuel surcharge. I accept that you have fluid pricing, and the advertised price should include the fuel surcharge and any other excuse for asking for more money. You are getting a real hammering on all the Motorhome web sites because of the sneaky way you are increasing the fare's. I have travelled with Norfolkline for some years now and you do give value for money as far as I am concerned, so why get up peoples noses by presenting your fares in such a deceitful way? By pointing out the credit card charge takes us all back to the time when petrol stations did the same, after a few months these stations were boycotted, why take the risk of annoying people with a tried and damaging procedure. Regards Terry Hart

I agree with Terry, There should be an up front price which includes the fuel surcharge. To be quoted one price and then find its increased by XX amount as you go through the booking process is not on. Are Debit cards treated the same way as Credit cards? if so that also isn't on as its universally used in shops etc and clears far quicker than a cheque and what else can you use when booking online! I shall be looking elsewhere!

Hi Debit cards have a fixed cost, I believe we pay 12p, credit cards are a percentage, I thing we pay 1.5% of the transaction value. and they have now added another fixed charge on all transactions to cover the cost of the call 6p seems to ring a bell. I will have to dig the invoices out, and check my figures. Olley

Hiya Zulurita. We must assume placing a charge on credit card transactions is just a ploy to boost profits as i can see no costs involved useing this method of payment compared as you say to cheques. For myself I would demand a explanation if this happened to me. Surcharges on fuel have been around for years so why not have it upfront instead of springing it on you as a last minute suprise. Don,t these people have enough confidence in their products to give you the full price straight out. As for looking elsewhere I would imagine this is common practise with all operators. Terry has already stated that he is more than happy with the price he pays and its just the way its presented that annoys him. Howard.

Archived