Habitation door suddenly stiff

ZacJ

Hi everyone,

Having only owned a M/H for a couple of months and experiencing almost non-stop fine and warm weather, during the last week or so the hab door has suddenly become quite stiff and will 'stick' at whatever point we open it. Prior to this it would open and swing freely.

Is it down to the change in weather?

Hi Zak..

Try giving the hinges some squirts of silicon based lubricant(available from the likes of Halfords for around a 4-5quid a tin)..it's really handy stuff to have around a MH..

DON'T just use WD40 types though ,as the oil will jigger up any nylon/plastic components....

(apologies Steve,I crossed your post).

Thanks for the replies. I did try some silicon lubricant last night but didn't make much difference. My main concern is the slight flex/pull on where the door frame is connected to the side wall on opening/closing the door.

I can't think of anything else that has changed other than the weather!

Can you fully remove each hinge in turn..strip them apart and give them a good "clean"?...or would that entail having to drill out pop rivets?...

I suppose the problem with just a "spray" is that, it isn't being forced into a joint(.. as would be the case with an "old fashioned" grease nipple/grease gun approach.. ;-) )

Hi, no there are no gas/hydraulic struts.

The hinges appear to be these :

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Motorhome-5-Leaf-Ellbee-Exterior-Aluminium-Door-Hinge-left-Hand-EDH5-/171034872692?pt=UK_Campervan_Caravan_Accessories&hash=item27d2790b74

From memory, I recall the hinges are riveted into the frame but I can't remember what is on the door side.

Archived