Fresh Water

Fixit

Hi Alan, it would help a little if you could give us some more info - for example:

What reading do you get when the tank is full? Do you get different readings regardless of the water level? Have you cleaned the tank out with any solutions to get the gunge out of it (I don't think that the Lunar is a current model so am assuming it is a good few years old).

However, my initial thoughts based on what you have already said are that it could simply be that the contacts in the tank have scaled up and are giving a false reading, but this tends to happen more with a tank with water in, rather than not (ie reading empty when full); it could be a problem with the control panel not working correctly instead.

We had some spurious readings recently with our fresh water tank which varied from empty to full and anything in between regardless of water level, so treated it with a cleaner (I can't remember what it was at present but can check for you) and since then it's worked perfectly (hope I'm not tempting fate!).

.... ooops forgot to say welcome to the mad house! :D

Alan

There are several types of system used to provide contents-level information for motorhome fresh-water tanks. Probably the most common involve a set of 'probes' inserted through the tank's upper surface or a number of 'contacts' positioned in the side of the tank. This 2005 forum thread suggests that Lunar may have used the latter arrangement.

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Fresh-Water-Tank-Level-Gauge-Lunar-R-star-720/2841/

I don't know where the water tank is located on your Roadstar, but if it's exterior (ie. beneath the vehicle's floor), check that the wires leading to the contacts/probes are OK, and that the connections to the contacts/probes (and any connecting wiring-plugs) are not corroded.

Scaling or muck (eg. algae) on the contacts/probes in the tank could be expected to produce under-reading rather than a full reading when the tank is actually empty. Adding a cleaning product to the tank's water may help if a contents-gauge's readouts begin to be erratic, but probably won't cure a problem where the gauge always produces a full readout irrespective of the amount of water in the tank.

If the gauge itself is OK and the fault lies with the contact/probe sensors in the water-tank, experimenting by cross-connecting the contacts/probes should cause variations in the gauge readouts. If experimentation fails to produce gauge variations, then the gauge itself should be suspected.

I looked at that yesterday at Southdowns in Portsmouth (same price) I thought is was just for cleaning the tank?

So I bought a packet of Sterile Tablets to put in water tank when filling, We buy bottled water for drinking, but do use the tank for making Tea/Coffee Been using thses for years, and tank still looks very clean. I try to fill water away from home, as our water is very, very hard

Truma markets water cleaning/disinfection products under the "AquaStar" brand-name. There's also advice here

http://www.truma.com/uk/en/water-systems/general-information-on-drinking-water-hygiene.php

If a motorhome's fresh-water contents gauge produces inaccurate readouts because the sensor contacts/probes in the tank are just 'mucky' (eg. have a biofilm coating), then a product like Puriclean may be successful in removing the muck. However, if the sensors are coated with limescale, a more aggressive approach involving a strongish citric acid solution or manually cleaning the sensors is likely to be needed.

If as Derek says, it is lime scale. We live in a very hard water area, and I find Limelight or Viakal (limescale cleaners ) very good. I have just cleaned the shower head and sink tap in the van, sometimes a gentle scrub with a toothbrush helps.. Could also use on the tank sensors, if you an get to yours. But make sure you flush the tank out afterwards.

PJay

Archived