MK I (One) Nose? (Mark One Nose)

snowie

Ok; I may be becoming paranoid BUT......better safe than sorry.

Not entirely a motorhome issue, but you are all (well mostly!) so knowledgeable.

Has anyone out there experience of devices like the Honeywell EZ Sense, Handheld gas detector?

I am considering for the van, but also have an LPG hob in house, which I have had tested just recently.

I'm looking for a device that can be pointed at a suspect joint/tap/whatever.Or do I just trust the good old MK I Nose?

thanks

alan b

PS I don't use emoticons, so you'll have to guess where I'm trying to be humorous!!

Maybe a daft question, but if you are paranoid regarding any safety issue perhaps instead of a 'sniffer' device like this which you have to manually use to find any problems, what about having a passive alarm type so it is running all the time so checks constantly? Cost wise a quick Google indicates they start from around £10 so you could buy 2 for the price of one Honeywell EZ Sense.

Guest JudgeMental
gas fitters use similar but not a clue what make..Would need to be an approved "gas safe" model and require calibration for professional use I suspect..

JudgeMental - 2013-09-17 3:59 PM

gas fitters use similar but not a clue what make..Would need to be an approved "gas safe" model and require calibration for professional use I suspect..

Last time the van had a hab-check it was tested with a manometer, when the fitter came to the house recently he used a manometer, I think maybe I'll give him a call before I pay him and ask his advice.

You're right tho' I guess knowing how it's calibrated, i.e its sensitivity would help. Amazon details too sketchy to make a buying decision. If it's too wide a detection range then maybe I'll stick with my nose!

regards

alan b

Guest JudgeMental

I have a persistent problem with input side of my refillable twin bottle system..payed someone to fit it properly last year but could not test input side with out going to LPG station. So after I filled it seemed OK, but we went to Italy and one day i smelt gas so opened one hose and released what was left in pipes..probably less then 1 litre. But need to sort soon for next refill soon....

How much are these snowy? As could do with one rather the using diluted washing up liquid :-D

JudgeMental - 2013-09-17 7:25 PM

I have a persistent problem with input side of my refillable twin bottle system..payed someone to fit it properly last year but could not test input side with out going to LPG station. So after I filled it seemed OK, but we went to Italy and one day i smelt gas so opened one hose and released what was left in pipes..probably less then 1 litre. But need to sort soon for next refill soon....

How much are these snowy? As could do with one rather the using diluted washing up liquid :-D

Only looked on Amazon so far;

Amazon £27.95 ; just noticed £4.50 post, might be more than one source, maybe a free postage?

Take care!

alan b

Guest JudgeMental
snowie - 2013-09-17 8:06 PM

JudgeMental - 2013-09-17 7:25 PM

Only looked on Amazon so far;

Amazon £27.95 ; just noticed £4.50 post, might be more than one source, maybe a free postage?

Take care!

alan b

Just got this £23.99 inc post..if I get the heating guy around to test it will cost double. thanks for the heads up ;-)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/281121449941?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Guest JudgeMental
My only concern was that it will sniff out a leak within confines of a gas locker with enough sensitivity to find a poor joint/tiny leak. I have read various reviews some from motorhomers/caravaners and it seems to work well in a gas lockers..hence the purchase....... Honeywell have a good reputation, and doubt they would want to loose it easily......I can now hopefully move gas installations about with a degree of confidence :-|

Archived