Company needed to fit LPG

jupe

Having read some of the comments re DIYing for refillable gas cylinders!!! we would prefer to pay for someone to do the work as husband has decided he wants an external filler point and also would like an external BBQ point (we have a Rapido 770) + I would be a bit nervous of him doing the work himself - no further comment. Anyway, we live in Hampshire - does anyone know of a company who does this sort of work. We spend several months at a time touring Europe, presently as well as the usual english gas cylinders we also have french and spanish ones - a lot to tote around. Have just come back from touring in France, Germany, Czech, Hungary, Slovenia and Italy but we have been told LPG easily obtainable all over if we should decide to do more of the same. Appreciate any help with this. Jude - Wife of keen but not always successful DIYer

Hi Judy, Brownhills Swindon have plenty of Gaslow cylinders and other bits in stock, they are currently advertising in their shop, just down the road from me, a complete installation for around £375 I did my own - you must of read my little report, for £306 for all the bits. A guy called Paul who fits them at Brownhills, mentioned he puts the filler into the gas locker door, but they will take your preferences into consideration and give advice. Westcountry motorhomes also quoted a similar price (£365), they are near Western S Mare, although they have a showroom at Blunsdon, about a mile from Brownhills Swindon. Regards Terry

Hi Jude, I have just been researching this. I am thinking of having the Gaslow refillable cylinders fitted and Gaslow's Jacquie gave me: Mobile Fitting Service: CMR Ltd, Contact Peter Taylor 07836 68990 or John 07836 752009. I also had a post on Motorhome Facts and was given their web address. www.cmr-limited.com email: info@cmr-limited.co.uk I also text Peter and he phoned me back and gave me some info and seemed a very helpful chap. Also he isn't too far from you to have the system fitted at his works. £70 fitting + system costs, it is around £140 for mobile fitting if I remember correctly? He also offerred to do it at an Mcc rally if going to an E Wessex rally, obviously arranged with him first. CMR Ltd Fareham House Fareham Drive Yateley Hant GU46 7RE Address taken from web site so should be ok to post here. also another phone no. 0845 260 2666 Hope this info is of some help

If you are having it fitted professionally then think seriously about having a proper bulk tank underslung the motorhome. Then you have no change over requirement between bottles, more gas, a genuine remote fuel gauge, automatic 80% switch off during filling, a tank that is BOLTED in position and a spare locker. I did mine and fitted a BBQ point as well. Look at MMM a couple on months back for details. Bits supplied by MTH Autogas. C.

hi jude try Avonbridge, Unit 5, Sandleheath Ind. Est., Old Brickyard Rd., Fordingbridge, SP6 1PA. tel 01425 654353. they fitted an external gas point for me - a smashing job with good consultation before the work was started. i now use them for any habitation work. i chose not to use cmr for refillables because they were telling not asking me what i wanted. mike

Jude/ Zulrita. I understand your concerns re DIY but it really is not that difficult to do. Does hubby currently change his own cylinder when it runs out or do you call in and pay someone to do it? It is only that times two for each cylinder you want fitted!! Provided you take the precaution of adding the smear of jointing paste, that is not mentioned in the installation instructions, there should be no drama. Another poster that has had a professional install done has got suspected leaks at the same joints, so who knows!! Bear in mind also when getting quotes my installation cost me £149 for the complete kit with one 11kg cylinder, as I am going to use up my remaining gas in the Calor cylinders before deciding on the second one which will cost a further £98. So any quote for one 11kg cylinder, including a twin cylinder turn over valve that I had not got, in excess of £149 (at retail prices) is for 'workmanship', likewise any quote in excess of £247 (at retail prices) for two cylinders is the same situation. I was origionally quoted in excess of £400 as a special deal fitted at the Peterboro show which is why I went DIY. Baz

Thanks for that Basil. I have no wories re changing calor gas cylinders so I don't think I would have concerns regarding attaching the various pipes after reading these posts :-D It is the fitting of the filler pipe or rather the actual filler part that is concerning me. I don't have the skill to make a hole in the side of the MH nor do I want the pipe going through the habitation area. My up & over gas locker door is flimsy and so is the side skirt. The side skirt would be the best place if it could be strengthened as I believe the filler area flexes when filling up. A friend has offered to help but I want to resolve where the filler goes first.

Hi Zulrita, I was going to fit my filler in the side skirt myself at first but when I bought the kit I realised that the pipe supplied would not be long enough to reach my gas locker. After speaking to Gaslow they advised me that there is a much longer filling tube available 2.5 metres and they would have sent it down, with me returning the origional and me paying an extra £25 which was fair enough. However after studying the underside it would be imposible to reach the gas locker without the pipe going through the suspension springs or fouling the rear axle and the main chassis members were in the way. Also it would have meant the pipe passing immediately behind the rear wheel, after having a blow out last year which destroyed the floor, mudflap and wheel arch I decided that also was not satisfactory. Gaslow were happy with the pipe passing through the habitation area but also suggested fitting it in to the door of the locker as an alternative but as I use the locker for other storage as well, having a pipe continually flexing every time it was opened did not appeal to me. Had I fitted the filler in the side skirt I would have first strengthened the GRP and then moulded in a metal plate and webs on the inside supporting up to the floor of the van. In the end I am happy with my installation and the fact that it goes through the habitation area, as said before, is only a problem should it be unlucky enough to have the pipe fracture during the filling operation. All things considered you fill your car with gallons of petrol through a tube that runs through a storage compartment directly connected to the inside of the car and you have done it for years with no worry. LPG converted cars also do a similar thing usually to a cylinder fitted in the boot, so I really don't see much difference. It is a strange thing that people are so petrified by gas, probably because the results of an occurance are more spectacular, yet there are more killed and injured every single year with the use of electricity than gas, it's a funny old world!! Good luck Bas.

hi jude i can't remember the cost of the BBQ point & i can't find the bill. the refillables were fitted by Autogas 2000, at Thirsk and the cost was about £500. they filled them from their pump & tested for leaks afterwards. Autogas 2000 used to have 2 pumps. One with road fuel duty & one without. Now just the one & you have to pay the duty. mike

• 2 weeks later...

Hi I have just bought a van fiat ducato 1989, I want to change from the small blue bottle to propane 13kg, can i put a longer pipe to a Box i'm buying for the back door (fits on the bike rack) that will hold 2x 13kg botts? and do you know of anyone in the n/west that you can reccomend!

thanks wayne.

Archived