Overwintering in Sicilly

jupe

Whilst in message mode (question re LPG fitting) has anyone any experience/info re overwintering in Sicilly. We met a couple in passing, like you do, who were returning home to Sweden after spending the winter in Sicilly but their English/our Swedish was not good enough to have a long discussion. Quite fancied the idea of doing this as would be something different to the usual Spain & Portugal but am a bit put off as would be a long drive down. I understand it's possible to go by boat from say Genoa, though I imagine it would be a bit expensive. We were in Northern Italy this year, wasn't time to go further down - have been told it's less safe the further south you are although not sure why this should be. We understood from the Swedes there is not much petty crime as the mafia don't want those sort of problems interfering with whatever it is they do! We enjoyed the time we did spend in Italy earlier this year, including staying on several 'aires' - we spent a great bank holiday w/e at Riotorte on the tuscan coast in close proximity with about 300 Italian motorhomers (the Clubs would have had nervous breakdowns). Would be grateful for any help at all in deciding whether to go for it or not - thinking of travelling maybe mid-late Oct. Jude

Jude, I've never wintered in Sicily but I do have some info on the island. It came from friends who wintered there about five years ago. I think you will find the further south you go the safer it gets, not that we have ever had any problems in any parts of Italy. I believe it's mainly Germans who winter there but the Scandinavians to get about as well but I think they favour Spain/Portugal. These are sites you might find useful. ttp://www.camper.netsurf.it/ http://www.camping.it/english/sicilia/ http://www.turismoitinerante.com/php/sosta/italia/search.php I'll E mail you the info. Don

[QUOTE]jupe - 2006-08-18 11:56 AM Thanks for the interesting info - still in 2 minds, still fancy doing something different for winter but will see what other information I get. Jude[/QUOTE] Hi Jude What about Turkey (?) We've spent three winters there and it was great. :-D Don

Archived