Anyone got thule omni bike rack on an autotrail?

stevemate

Guest JudgeMental
No...but I have a Thule omni sport 2 door on my van, actually on the 2nd one and both rubbish..honestly wish I had gone for a tow bar rack......they claim 50 kg payload and both my e bikes without batteries weigh 35 kg max and still both racks have distorted and dropped on right hand side.....I'm getting rid ASAP this time...fiamma probably worse as payload only 35kg. You might be ok on a coachbuilt.....

JudgeMental - 2013-09-19 4:31 PM

No...but I have a Thule omni sport 2 door on my van, actually on the 2nd one and both rubbish..honestly wish I had gone for a tow bar rack......they claim 50 kg payload and both my e bikes without batteries weigh 35 kg max and still both racks have distorted and dropped on right hand side.....I'm getting rid ASAP this time...fiamma probably worse as payload only 35kg. You might be ok on a coachbuilt.....

Don't know about Thule, but Fiamma do a 'specific' Autotrail Bike rack, to fit around the rear mounted Spare Wheel and Cover.

My experience of Fiamma bike racks is good, had one fitted to my Autocruise had a 60kg limit, and I fitted a Large Back box onto it, which was regularly at that weight (inc Box). with no problems at all.

Ray

Guest searchforsites

We have a Thule bike rack on a Autotrail Cherokee but it is the 3 bike version.

I am not sure though wether they only supply a 3 bike version but with two rails as standard as I recall we had to order the third rail as an extra.

Build quality is good IMO as I don't need heavier battery powered bikes :-S

Only downsides are it has to fit above the spare wheel housing so is quite high to reach the retaining bars (small step solves this though) and if you need to access the spare wheel or roof ladder the bikes have to come off.

Guest JudgeMental
My Thule rack is a two bike version with a payload of 25kg each bike according to Thule, my e bikes weigh 17 kg each, they are high end e bikes, that turn cycling into sheer pleasure .....no more hills! want a race?lol :-D

Guest JudgeMental
JudgeMental - 2013-09-20 9:07 AM

My Thule rack is a two bike version with a payload of 25kg each bike according to Thule, my e bikes weigh 17 kg each, they are high end e bikes, that turn cycling into sheer pleasure .....no more hills! want a race?lol :-D

My point being e bikes have moved on and many people in 20's and 30's now ride quality German ebikes......nothing to do with needing to! I use ours daily and hardly touch the car......Anyway we digress :-D

Thanks for all the comments. If anyone does have the distance I would be SO grateful

The reason is is that the fiamma bars are 150mm apart (I think) and it looks like you can only get 3 rails on and not 4 due to the location of the tyre. I am hoping the thule/omni one has bars slightly further apart which means you can actually get 3 bikes on

The fiamma has to be installed higher as well in order for the rails to miss the tyre. The omni model has rails which site further away from the van when upright meaning it can be fitted slightly lower

Thanks!

The bottom rail on my Fiamma 4 bike rack is telescopic so you can adjust the distance between the bikes.

As Ray states there is a specific Autotrail version.

If Thule is similar you will not find the centre to centre dimension.

http://www.fiammastore.com/Fiamma-Carry-Bikes-For-Motorhomes/Fiamma-Carry-Bike-Pro-Autotrail

As others mention the quality is not fantastic but I've had mine for 6 years and no sign of bending. The retaining fittings and straps are looking a bit jaded.

Guest JudgeMental
AliB - 2013-09-20 1:45 PM

JudgeMental - 2013-09-20 9:07 AM

want a race?lol :-D

Anytime Judge. Or I could just send you a picture of the rear of my bike and save you the embarrassment. TeeHee.

Ha ha ha...my wife and son both have road bikes and fit club members......They may well leave me a little way behind on the flat but once the road begins to rise and they hit a hill I leave them well behind! puffing and panting..poor things...You have been warned!!! :D

Guest searchforsites
stevemate - 2013-09-20 11:38 AM

Thanks for all the comments. If anyone does have the distance I would be SO grateful

The reason is is that the fiamma bars are 150mm apart (I think) and it looks like you can only get 3 rails on and not 4 due to the location of the tyre. I am hoping the thule/omni one has bars slightly further apart which means you can actually get 3 bikes on

The fiamma has to be installed higher as well in order for the rails to miss the tyre. The omni model has rails which site further away from the van when upright meaning it can be fitted slightly lower

Thanks!

Steve

If you need three bikes then the Thule version can definitely accommodate three. I have had 1 racing bike, 1 mountain bike and 1 hybrid bike on no problem.

The spacing is 130mm between each of the three rails. (Just been and measured)

Don't know if the Fiamma versions are the same, but the Thule rails slide left to right so you get plenty of options to overlap handlebars, pedals etc.

One thing to consider is the view from the rear view camera is obscured when the rack is full especially if you have the devils own device known as the Fiamma bike cover fitted! >:-(

Visitor (sorry don't know your name)

Really appreciate the information and tips. If I could just trouble you about the measurements - is this the gap between the bars or the centre to centre measurement. If you could let me have the centre to centre measurement that would be awesome and very much appreciated!!!

Thanks

Steve

Guest searchforsites
stevemate - 2013-09-20 3:55 PM

Visitor (sorry don't know your name)

Really appreciate the information and tips. If I could just trouble you about the measurements - is this the gap between the bars or the centre to centre measurement. If you could let me have the centre to centre measurement that would be awesome and very much appreciated!!!

Thanks

Steve

130mm is the centre to centre distance of the rails (hole to hole of the retaining bolts)

Archived