Motorhome Insurance/Green Cards

Don Madge

I've just renewed my motorhome insurance with Comfort (Norwich Union) for another year. I've been with them for 8/9 years now, they might not be the cheapest but they provide the cover we need. Also being in my early seventies other companies might not welcome new business at that age. A significant change to the policy this year is the maximum pay out for a replacement windscreen, it's now £2000. This should not be a problem for me (I hope) in the Timberland but some A class and ARV owners could be effected. Three years ago it cost around £3000 to replace the windscreen on my A class Laika, I hate to think what it would cost today. I also checked out the Green Card cover. At present there's a free Green Card for 120 days (with a small admin fee) but this can be extended for 180 days at a cost. On our last winter trip we spent 3 months in Turkey and the toured Eastern Europe, we left Poland the day before the Green Card expired. If you opt for the optional breakdown/recovery the cover is automatically extended to those countries when a Green Card is issued. After chatting to Ben Cue at Comfort Insurance I'm wondering how many people towing with an A frame have notified their insurers that the car has been "Modified" to take the A frame. Just a thought. Don

This morning i recieved my insurance certificate from Comfort and after wading through the "Bumf" that came with it I found the following. "Optional RAC cover available, no age, size, weight or height restrictions - covered in UK and Europe including repatriation of vehicle: worth £200+" This is very good news for the motorhomer who ventures further afeild where a Green Card is required. I opted for the cover and it cost me £55. www.comfort-insurance.co.uk Don

Archived