Lincoln show - Red Arrows display

Mel B

Absolutely fantastic! We were there today as a day visitor and the Red Arrows were flying around doing display practice right next the showground for most of the morning and part of the afternoon!

We were mesmerised by the stunts they were practising - the heart with the arrow through it, the 'spiralling' (2 flying straight and 2 others spiralling round their coloured smoke trails), the formation flying, and their flying directly over the showground and our heads! Oh how I wish I had had my camera with me I would have got some fantastic shots!

I hope they keep rehearsing this weekend as others can then see how brilliant they are!

Southender - 2013-09-22 6:17 AM

They regularly practice there.

They are based at RAF Scampton which is next to the showground.

http://www.raf.mod.uk/rafscampton/

Yup, I know, I've seen them on odd occasions when we've been travelling back along the A15 but have never seen them actually 'performing' as much as they were - it was fantastic!!! :-D

Mel B - 2013-09-20 6:56 PMAbsolutely fantastic! We were there today as a day visitor and the Red Arrows were flying around doing display practice right next the showground for most of the morning and part of the afternoon! We were mesmerised by the stunts they were practising - the heart with the arrow through it, the 'spiralling' (2 flying straight and 2 others spiralling round their coloured smoke trails), the formation flying, and their flying directly over the showground and our heads! Oh how I wish I had had my camera with me I would have got some fantastic shots!I hope they keep rehearsing this weekend as others can then see how brilliant they are!

Yep, absolutely brilliant!

Every now and then it seemed like one was flying only a few feet above our heads, and I agree the "loveheart" in contrails was very impressive.

With the lovely weather all weekend, it was a great Season Finale. Cheers everyone at Warners for a well organised show.

Steve

I was there on Friday and I too saw the Red Arrows and thought they were amazing.

I don't know how true it is, but one of the car park attendants (I think it was he) said that an employee of Warners knows a Red Arrows Pilot and asked that they would practice over the area of the showground to give us all a treat as it was the Season Finale.

Well they certainly did :-D

tugga - 2013-09-23 10:38 AMI was there on Friday and I too saw the Red Arrows and thought they were amazing.I don't know how true it is, but one of the car park attendants (I think it was he) said that an employee of Warners knows a Red Arrows Pilot and asked that they would practice over the area of the showground to give us all a treat as it was the Season Finale.Well they certainly did :-D

I was shown a couple of texts by one of the organisers, that were sent to "Red 1", which did seem to show that it was arranged by them. I was skeptical at the time, but then that's my normal state of mind, so maybe it was true after all!

Steve

Brit_Stops - 2013-09-23 8:46 AM
Mel B - 2013-09-20 6:56 PMAbsolutely fantastic! We were there today as a day visitor and the Red Arrows were flying around doing display practice right next the showground for most of the morning and part of the afternoon! We were mesmerised by the stunts they were practising - the heart with the arrow through it, the 'spiralling' (2 flying straight and 2 others spiralling round their coloured smoke trails), the formation flying, and their flying directly over the showground and our heads! Oh how I wish I had had my camera with me I would have got some fantastic shots!I hope they keep rehearsing this weekend as others can then see how brilliant they are!

Every now and then it seemed like one was flying only a few feet above our heads, and I agree the "loveheart" in contrails was very impressive.

With the lovely weather all weekend, it was a great Season Finale. Cheers everyone at Warners for a well organised show.

Steve

The 'Reds' are pretty good .........probably the best at what they do.  I used to fly the 'circus' (RAF terminology for the ground crew/tech support equipment) when I was in the RAF on C130's so saw a lot of their practice and displays.  Also they used to do 'off season' practice in Cyprus which meant every year we got to see the forthcoming additions (stationed there for 2 years).

Just to correct the 'contrails' comment above....the 'smoke' is just that........coloured diesel is carried in internal tanks and is injected into the jet exhaust where it burns making the 'smoke'.

Sometimes the pilot gets finger trouble..............one time at RAF Wildenrath, Germany the pilot hit the switch on taxying out and covered the forest behind him in red unburnt diesel............oooops! hehe.

RogerC - 2013-09-25 2:03 PMThe 'Reds' are pretty good .........probably the best at what they do.  I used to fly the 'circus' (RAF terminology for the ground crew/tech support equipment) when I was in the RAF on C130's so saw a lot of their practice and displays.  Also they used to do 'off season' practice in Cyprus which meant every year we got to see the forthcoming additions (stationed there for 2 years).

Just to correct the 'contrails' comment above....the 'smoke' is just that........coloured diesel is carried in internal tanks and is injected into the jet exhaust where it burns making the 'smoke'.

Sometimes the pilot gets finger trouble..............one time at RAF Wildenrath, Germany the pilot hit the switch on taxying out and covered the forest behind him in red unburnt diesel............oooops! hehe.

My cousin used to be part of the tech support crew for them and spent many a happy time in Cyprus until he left the RAF. :-D

RogerC - 2013-09-25 2:03 PM
Brit_Stops - 2013-09-23 8:46 AM

Steve

The 'Reds' are pretty good .........probably the best at what they do.  I used to fly the 'circus' (RAF terminology for the ground crew/tech support equipment) when I was in the RAF on C130's so saw a lot of their practice and displays.  Also they used to do 'off season' practice in Cyprus which meant every year we got to see the forthcoming additions (stationed there for 2 years).

Thanks, Roger. It makes sense when you realise that they must be switched on and off (and coloured) to make the patterns! 
Steve

Archived