Huttoft Car Park, Lincs (overlooking the sea)

longbarn

So what has happened to these so called "vagrants", that are referred to in the above link?

...have they moved on....?

I still can't help but feel slightly uncomfortable when some folk refer to themselves as "legitimate" motorhomers ... and then feel the need to broadcast:

Quote: “..I've worked 45 years of my life, paid my dues..."... :-S (again, taken from above link).

It does have a slight feeling of, "...I'm entitled..." to it... :-S

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As I said earlier, if trespass and the associated 'crimes' were made a criminal offence, anyone in breach (travellers or other longtermers/overstayers) could be moved on by the police without extra cost to councils.

While there is the opportunity for these people to play the long game, they will continue and councils are wetting themselves at the potential cost to go through a civil case.

Am I wrong in thinking that the Government had this change on it books? If so, the sooner the better.

I'm happy to pay for my motorhome parking (within reason) but am not happy to be banned from parking as a result of a council's fear of dealing with this issue.

Why do we never address the real issue rather than papering over the symptoms?.............

Let's get this into perspective please.

For a long time there has been a small band of locals who for some reason have been anti motorhome. Their reasons are suspect, in fact nobody knows but it is certainly not rational. Anyone who wildcamps will tell you that there is always at least one local who thinks you have no right to park up in their area. It is often just jealousy or similar. A prime case is a Northumberland village. I have never met one villager who had any objection. The people who come from outside the village to walk their dogs do not like motorhomes at all and will make that plain to you.

Huttoft was an extremely popular place to overnight and used by a great many people without any ill effect on other users as it is a big place (google earth it to see). The long termers all lived within a few miles of the place. The so called 'horror' stories of dumping waste are usually mostly made up by people with vested interests, although there could be a grain of truth at times. As someone who has overnighted in the area, I can honestly say that I saw nothing untoward and I quite liked the local motorhomers who used the places a lot. There was always a mess at Huttoft and that was definitely the day trippers as the majority was fast food cartons and plastic bottles (neither of which is routinely used by motorhomers).

Now you can believe what I am saying or what you read in the newspapers that comes from people with an axe to grind. I don't think you are that stupid to take the Press version at face value.

Just spent a nice couple of days camped on the sand by the Med in the Camargue and of course there was rubbish left on the the beach but not by the dozens of Motorhomes parked there, most of the longer stay ones had their own wast bins outside their vans. As usual it was the day trippers in cars that left the rubbish.

If our councils actually bothered to monitor the car parks before opening their mouths they would soon see who leaves the rubbish but that wouldn't suit them as then they would not be able to all too conveniently blame the Motorhomes.

longbarn - 2013-10-07 8:18 PM

I have sent a letter to Coun. Davie regarding Huttoft Car Park. Should I get a reply I will post it. In the mean time we will spend our time and money in Norfolk.

I hope you have better luck than me. I emailed him on 25th September and have had no reply.

747 - 2013-09-25 1:36 PM

...Negative comments from crinkly does not help, it just muddies the water. He has no direct knowledge of the Huttoft area and should keep his speculation to himself...

Direct response:

Odd assumption. I've overnighted off formal sites throughout Lincolnshire, both inland and coastal, on more occasions than I can remember.

And in Northumberland.

And in both I've seen 'nests' of motorhomers (particularly at coastal locations) and loose communities of transient long termers / full timers / other people living out of motor vehicles.

Open response:

They have an impact. It is usually mainly visual, but it may also include noise, and it may include uncontrolled dogs, and it may include litter, and it may include indiscreet disposal of human waste. It also unquestionably deprives locals and people visiting for recreation (including those in motorhomes) of parking space.

Furthermore, and most difficult to grasp, is the fact that the presence of people parked up for days / weeks on end living out of vehicles - be they A Class land-yachts or a beat up horsebox - changes the whole intangible ambience of an area. This is true for locals and visitors alike.

I think it reasonable to assume that many who visit coastal car parks, particularly in rural locations like the ones described - and the people who choose to live in such areas - do so to enjoy some semblance of wilderness / big skies / oceanscape / sense of belonging. Shame then that they are deprived of these intangible qualities by people choosing to 'live' there without any regard for their impact.

Still not getting it? Imagine half a dozen or so people living out of vehicles parking up for days / weeks on end near where you live, or in a (up to that point) pleasant countryside car park you like to go to to start a walk with your dog / kids / birdwatch / whatever. Still feeling comfortable?

I'd argue that my views are not so much negative as not completely self-centred. If choosing to spend time in areas off formal sites then we, as a user group, need to be constantly and massively aware of the impacts we have. A little humility and respect for residents and visitors would go a long way to helping our cause.

I am no fan of the institutionalised incompetence of local authorities and though the reaction of this council may have been crude and have created some unintended consequences, I completely understand and support their intention to act in the best interest of the majority and to rid the area of 'communities' of vehicle dwellers.

Here's the really unsavoury bit - to some extent or other we are all vehicle dwellers.

Open question: how much do you impact on the legitimate rights of others, or even care...

In answer to your post, I will tell you how we use our van.

The vast majority of the time we use C&CC THS. We never use Club sites and rarely use other types of sites. We attend the odd forum Rally and I even organise one each year in Northumberland. We spend a few nights at an 'Aire' in Northumberland a few times per year. We never wildcamp for more than one night during busy times (Summer for example). During Winter we may spend 2 nights at one wildcamping spot if there is nobody else around and it is isolated enough. We leave no mess and often clean up mess when we arrive.

Now back to Huttoft. If you knew the places mentioned in this thread then you would know that it would have been easy for the Council to do things differently but they listened to a few locals with an axe to grind. The regular longer stayers were all locals and it was popular with weekenders. Because of its isolated position, I am afraid that the area will be taken over by less salubrious people than motorhomers. Thankfully some other Councils have a different answer to motorhomes and it seems to be growing.

Well put Crinkley;

It comes down to personal behaviour and respect. If informal gatherings of "people who live in vehicles" cause anxiety to people who have been living "conventionally" in the locality for some time, then the first response of reasonable people would be to disperse. But should one wait to be challenged, or should commonsense suggest that it is inappropriate to gather, in numbers in proximity to dwellings?

If these "people who live in vehicles" arrive independently, and without prior arrangement then it is surely for anyone who arrives after the first one to carefully consider whether it is appropriate to park. The second issue surely has to be some either self imposed or statutory limit on duration of stay.

I have no objection to people overnighting in informal locations; but if they want to meet up with their mates and spend more than one night in their company, then I think they should do it on a formal / commercial site of some sort.

In the circumstances the Lincolnshire Council in the spotlight probably made the correct decision.

Lets face it; it's a minefield; and it's not just the local residents who suffer; it's the majority of decent, responsible motorhome owners who are tarred with the same brush as those who behave selfishly.

I have no idea what the solution might be.

regards

alan b

Guest pelmetman
snowie - 2013-10-08 12:21 PM

I have no idea what the solution might be.

Allow 24hr parking and no return within 48hrs ;-)

But who's going stump up the funds to operate and "police" that?(..especially if it's as "remote" as some seem to be saying)..or pay to sort it all out if/when it goes t*ts up?...

The folk who actually use it?...really?...

The chances are, they'll just move on to somewhere else "free" to "herd up"....

(..amidst howls of "Rip Off Britain!" :-S )

There're threads running now, with tales of folk scurrying off long established Aires, in order to avoid paying the pittance of a charge... *-)

• 2 weeks later...

Still waiting for a reply to my letter to Coun. Davie.

In it I suggested a charge for parking with additional charge for over night, with a max. of a 48 hours stay. Also that this be made only between May and September. This should then satisfy the locals who mostly only use it to exercise their dogs outside this period. This area is at least a quarter of a mile long and hidden from the few houses by a huge sand dune. There is never any noise that could disturb them.

There is loads of money to be made and a hut in place for the parking attendant.

Skegness a half hour away and charge over £3 for a few hours. I wonder how many tourists in the know drive that far to have free parking? We don't go there during the school holidays as its so full.

Why should we not pay a reasonable amount for parking at such a wonderful place. Locals or visitors.

Archived