Tolls Switzerland and Italy

FRANKP60

Hi all ,can anyone advise please ,planning a trip to Southern Greece and plan to travel through Switzerland and Italy .My question is ,you buy a Vignetto for Switzerland ,do you pay anymore road tolls .For Italy can only see there are tolls are they expensive,can I travel through to Vience without using tolls.Any other tips will be gratefully received.

Guest JudgeMental
If you are 3500kg Swiss vignette valid for a year, 40 swiss francs approx £27.50 and includes all motorways and tunnels including Gothard. Time arrival at Gothard carefully, avoid weekends. its a good route as one french tunnel costs 40€ alone...... Italy tolls cheap so madness to avoid in my opinion. 4 lanes most of the way and fast. we get to switzerland toll free via luxembourg (cheap fuel) and get to Lake garda which is only a few hours from Venice. cost insignificant I don't even remember to be honest maybe 12 €? I doubt venice more then 25€?...probably resource online to calculate if needs must :-D

Guest JudgeMental
FRANKP60 - 2013-09-21 9:24 AM

Thanks Judge ,only 3 ton so might be cheaper,Not thought of going via Lake Garda ,now in the plan.

Thanks again

Sorry lake garda north of Brescia which is same direction as you are taking, was not suggesting you go there.... so its swiss/italian border: aosta - milan - brescia - verona - venice. approx 4 hrs

I fancy greece as well so tell us more please :-D

JudgeMental - 2013-09-21 9:38 AM

Thanks Judge ,only 3 ton so might be cheaper,Not thought of going via Lake Garda ,now in the plan.

Thanks again

Sorry lake garda north of Brescia which is same direction as you are taking, was not suggesting you go there.... so its swiss/italian border: aosta - milan - brescia - verona - venice. approx 4 hrs

Our plan for next autumn is get to Italy and drive to the south and get a ferry to Greece as far south as possible for the winter. So here's another intrestdd party in this thread.

Hi .

There was a report of a trip to Southern Greece by Gary Blake and Wendy Johnson in Septembers Practical Motor home,Quick version was from Channel tunnel to Luxembourg,down through Switzerland,Italy to Venice and then the camper ferry to Patras for Peloponnese. Could email a copy of article it was 9 pages long but looks good .PM your emails if you want it .

Guest JudgeMental
starvin marvin - 2013-09-21 10:11 AM

JudgeMental - 2013-09-21 9:38 AM'

Thanks again

Our plan for next autumn is get to Italy and drive to the south and get a ferry to Greece as far south as possible for the winter. So here's another intrestdd party in this thread.

Roads in north Italy fine but deteriorate quickly as you head south...north is where the wealth and infrastructure is.....I would get a ferry further up, another consideration, fuel even more expensive than here......

Caddies104 - 2013-09-21 6:36 PM

Hi

You can also get your Swiss Vignette off EBay and re sell it there if careful, cost around £15 - £20...

The Swiss vignettes I have had cannot be peeled from the windscreen once stuck on (they are actually in small pieces on the backing, so become a mosaic once stuck on). Also were not legally valid unless stuck on, so liable to fine if caught using in a licence holder or similar. Unless the design has been changed, I don't see how this could work.

FRANKP60 - 2013-09-21 7:44 AM

Hi all ,can anyone advise please ,planning a trip to Southern Greece and plan to travel through Switzerland and Italy .My question is ,you buy a Vignetto for Switzerland ,do you pay anymore road tolls .For Italy can only see there are tolls are they expensive,can I travel through to Vience without using tolls.Any other tips will be gratefully received.

If planning to travel to Greece early or late in the year, check the availability of "camping on board" services, as most, if not all, of these cease operation in winter.

Ancona seems to be the favourite point of departure, with Venice a hot second. Venice may not be that much more expensive overall, nor is it that much slower. Most think the drag down to Bari unrewarding in terms of driving time and extra cost. Ferries from Ancona take about 17 hours to Igoumenitsa, and a bit longer to Patras. Most stop at both ports. Several operators. Research reports on camping on board conditions. We went with Anek, who were fine, but the facilities were distinctly "tired" though at the time they were supposed to be the better line.

If you go down to Fussen in Bavaria and then south into Austria, and take the Fern pass to Reutte and Imst and then the B171 to Landeck (avoiding the A12 for which a maut/vignette is required), you can take the Reschenpass into Italy at Resia, and then south via Merano and Bolzano. The first toll motorway you will hit will be at Bolzano. You can then do Trento, Verona, Modena, Bologna, Rimini, Ancona, or Trento, Verona, Padua, Venice.

As Eddie says, the Italian tolls are well worthwhile, as driving any distance off motorway once you get south of the Po valley is slow and frustrating.

The Fern and Reschen passes are not dual carriageways, and are fairly busy, so will be slower than the Brenner, but you avoid the tolls, so it depends on your cost vs time preferences which way you go. Easy gradients, good roads, generally free flowing, pretty scenery, some scope to overtake, and only becomes tediously slow if caught behind a truck. Once to Merano you hit the SS38 "Mebo", which is fast dual to Bolzano. A good sat-nav should route you through easily if you set it to avoid tolls until you get to Resia (good car park stop by lake), then allow tolls from then on. The spaghetti junction where the Mebo hits the A22 Brenner motorway at Bolzano needs a good sat-nav! :-) That is about the only complicated bit.

Guest JudgeMental

If you want or need to, due to time constraints, can easy get to italian Greece-ferry in 3 days, so a week more then enough to cover return part of that journey....Austria route is more miles but easy enough to get through toll free but a vigennete is only 8 euro and another 8 euro at bremmer pass, probably OK for anyone travelling out of summer season but traffic on ALL these routes can be horrific in summer, but easy enough if you time things right, we got to Italy and back without delays ths summer, and have been in 4 hour jams in the past......

Loads of info on Greece if you use search function, mag baz travels another web site worth a look....

I was wondering about Don Madge and it seems he has sold his van but still travelling! That's the spirit Don! best wishes: http://www.magbaztravels.com/content/view/1457/30/

Brian Kirby - 2013-09-21 9:59 PM

Caddies104 - 2013-09-21 6:36 PM

Hi

You can also get your Swiss Vignette off EBay and re sell it there if careful, cost around £15 - £20...

The Swiss vignettes I have had cannot be peeled from the windscreen once stuck on (they are actually in small pieces on the backing, so become a mosaic once stuck on). Also were not legally valid unless stuck on, so liable to fine if caught using in a licence holder or similar. Unless the design has been changed, I don't see how this could work.

Brian

Have bought the vignette twice and it does come off.. Yes you have to be careful, but just have the vignette slightly concaved and stick the 4 corners on, and it will come off using a thin sharp blade then replace back onto the backing it came with...only costs a few pounds this way. :-D

Mickt - 2013-09-22 10:16 AM

Planning similar trip to Venice and Greece next spring is it neccessory to pre book ferry to Greece

No, you can book at the port, and many do. However, if travelling in spring it may pay to look at rates for early booking. We went from Ancona in 2010 with Anek, and they were then offering 40% discount for early booking. Good website with costs, routes and dates etc all clearly set out. It is possible to just book on line and pay by card. They then e-mail you back the travel voucher. However, check the conditions, as discounted early bookings are not refundable or changeable: zero flexibility!

Guest JudgeMental

Along with Mag Baz another good enthuasist web site for all things motorhomes....articles and guidence on Greece:

http://www.europebycamper.com/2011/11/visiting-driving-greece-motorhome.html

Re swiss vignette. yes lots on ebay ..whether genuine or not impossible to tell. doudt they are on sale in early part of the year anyway......... years ago the border guards used to slap on your windscreen themselves, they now hand them to you, so I see where caddies is coming from....

edit: have just noticed the ebay ones all seem to be on original backing (if genuine) so how that works not a clue.....as if not on properly how will it be read by scanners...could well get a hefty fine in post?

Guest JudgeMental
Caddies104 - 2013-09-23 10:20 AM

Judge

From memory, you peel off from backing paper which is non stick, then apply to window (same as 1st class stamps in a book).. But as said if careful with a thin sharp blade you can remove, place back onto backing paper and re sell, not that I have done this of course!!....

I go to italy every year, not always through switzerland mind...but this year I was handed the sticker for the fist time...I see where you are coming from, but the ebay unused ones still look suspicious?

In austria or slovenia you can get the scraper with the vignette so have the tool :-D

• 3 weeks later...

We had to purchase the Swiss vignette at the border, we displayed it in the window with its backing on, no one checked it after. Sold it on eBay for ½ price when we got home.

The Italian tolls are well worthwhile, the motorways are good and mostly 3 lanes, but there is a lot of Lorry traffic heading east in the direction of Yugoslavia and Greece.

Archived