Inverter info wanted please

Guest bill h

Inverter info wanted please  

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Guest bill h
I need an inverter for using a laptop. Also if I go Satelite TV. I need a quality one. Please indicate types and prices and where from ??? bill h

Personally I prefer to use a DC-DC unit to run my laptop as it's a single conversion whereas with an inverter you convert 12VDC (nominal) to 230VAC then the laptop PSU converts that to 15, 16, 18, 19 or 24 VDC which means a double conversion and two losses. As for sat TV I'd again go for a 12 VDC native system. If you really feel the need for an inverter try Maplin, they have several ranging from a 150 Watt right up to a couple of KiloWatts at reasonable prices. D.

Although I agree with Dave about PSU's to laptops and satelite receivers, if you are not going to use an inverter but a DC to DC converter, and it does not have a dedicated voltage output, you need to be very - very careful on not only voltage selection but polarity choice too. The variable voltage DC supply has a small selector switch which you need to check and the plug can also be inserted for either positive or negative tip. I am aware that by accident the voltage selector switch could be changed by snagging and the tip might have been unplugged and replugged the wrong way round. So I double check mine before using each time. I bought the Amperor power supply for both the lcd TV and satellite receiver at the cost of £49 at the time, but for a low power 12volts stabilzed supply you could use a zener diode - see http://www.satcure.co.uk/accs/page9.htm about 18 pence. See Amperors web page for other 12 volt stabilizers http://www.amperordirect.co.uk/products/LCD_TV_12v_Stabiliser_S1.asp You find a selection of good quality power supplies from Amperor. Regards Terry

Guest bill h
Thanks for that. The laptop is a Sony 3 years old and quite OK. I'm not over interested in TV so will keep to the DC DC system. I tried a cheap one at £20.00 and it lasted 2 mins. I asked about a Sony adaptor and was told no, and offered another (forget the name) at £156.00 Or do I buy another laptop with a 12v adaptor as standard. I'm told that Dell do this. Any comments bill h

This is where Dave and I have slightly differing opinions. I would not run my Laptop from anything other than a voltage reducer / power supply provided by the laptop manufacturer. If the voltage converter goes belly up who will pay for a new laptop? So for me its easy. I like an inverter for other things anyway so I use the mains adaptor provided by Toshiba with the lappy. Modern Inverters are quite efficient so the conversion losses are not significant although slightly more than a direct conversion as Dave suggests. But the Toshiba PSU does provide full galvanic isolation and is matched to the lappy. Its your money. C.

Must admit that we run our LCD TV direct from 12v so no need for anything there and have never had a problem with it and we've been using it that way since April 2005. We do have an inverter - it cost £30.00 from Maplins when they had one of their sales on - we run the laptop from it mainly for the reasons Clive has alluded to. We also find having an inverter useful for charging up the camera batteries if needed (I do take a lot of photos) and also the video camera batteries if we really need to. As we do a fair bit of travelling on holiday we don't have a problem with charging in this way as the leisure battery is always well charged. We can even use the inverter for charging my husbands razor as well although it does last well on one charge - for the whole of our last 2 week holiday and it was still going strong when we got home! Inverters are very cheap compared to buying dedicated 12v adaptors/ connectors and can be used for many other items so I'll stick with an inverter. If it pack up for any reason I can soon get hold of another one, if a dedicated 12v adaptor etc packs up, it would be another matter, especially if I was on holiday at the time.

Archived