Gas Changeover?

Pete-B

Guest JudgeMental
lennyhb - 2014-01-23 2:30 PM

JudgeMental - 2014-01-23 1:31 PM

My van just maybe sold, so will be in the market for a new 2x11kg system. These lighter safefill bottles, is it possible to install with external filler and bbq point..basically after a fit and forget install. any other suggestions gratefully received as a bit out of touch with prices and best suppliers to be honest as had mine on last two vans so over 6 years *-)

No they are single hole bottles have to take off the regulator to fill them also they are slightly heavier than Alugas bottles.

Thanks Lenny..forget them then :-D I thought the Alugas had a reputation for being problematic..would you use them?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
JudgeMental - 2014-01-23 5:12 PM

lennyhb - 2014-01-23 2:30 PM

JudgeMental - 2014-01-23 1:31 PM

My van just maybe sold, so will be in the market for a new 2x11kg system. These lighter safefill bottles, is it possible to install with external filler and bbq point..basically after a fit and forget install. any other suggestions gratefully received as a bit out of touch with prices and best suppliers to be honest as had mine on last two vans so over 6 years *-)

No they are single hole bottles have to take off the regulator to fill them also they are slightly heavier than Alugas bottles.

Thanks Lenny..forget them then :-D I thought the Alugas had a reputation for being problematic..would youuse them?

Not heard that, hope not got them coming with the new van.

Guest JudgeMental
Mel B - 2014-01-23 5:33 PM

Eddie, I thought you already had a refillable system? If so, why aren't you simply transferring it? A LOT less cost and more than you'd surely get by leaving it in your van! :-S

Not complaining, offer potentially very good including all the kit......All new would be nice anyway :D

JudgeMental - 2014-01-23 1:50 PM

just got a quote from GasIt @ around £500 for materials...thats with stainless steel hoses and a combined regulator/change over valve..Seems like you dont need the stainless steel hoses to get the 5 year warranty unlike gaslow...

http://www.gasit.co.uk/index.php?_a=product&product_id=268

Eddie, they quote £330 plus £37.38 for an automatic changeover valve, so £368 which makes it look expensive for the stainless steel hoses! 8-) (?)

Guest JudgeMental
Mel B - 2014-01-23 6:05 PM

JudgeMental - 2014-01-23 1:50 PM

just got a quote from GasIt @ around £500 for materials...thats with stainless steel hoses and a combined regulator/change over valve..Seems like you dont need the stainless steel hoses to get the 5 year warranty unlike gaslow...

http://www.gasit.co.uk/index.php?_a=product&product_id=268

Eddie, they quote £330 plus £37.38 for an automatic changeover valve, so £368 which makes it look expensive for the stainless steel hoses! 8-) (?)

yes they quoted me £330 as well hoses £31 each...plus same changeover regulator and external filler point and BBQ point. Did you get their bottles? have they a gauge on top, as they are not the Stako bottles now..

We bought our single 11kg Gaslow bottle system in 2009 for £242, including all s/s hoses, and the chap put the bottle and pipes on for me (for free) and pressure tested the system, then when I got home I fitted the bracket and fill point permanently. Obviously prices have gone up a LOT from when we bought ours! :-S

It would seem from their website that Gas-it does not sell stainless-steel fill hoses, so (presumably) would need to buy them in if a customer demanded them. They certainly aren't cheap, as will be evident from this advert

http://www.outdoorbits.com/gaslow-stainless-steel-hoses-c-123_478.html

Gas-it markets two types of refillable bottle. The 2-hole type with magnetic level-gauge or the more expensive 4-hole "STAKO type" canister with mechanical gauge. The Gas-it asking-price for a pair of 11kg 4-hole bottles would be £380, so a £500 'all-in' quote might or might not include them.

It might also be worth confirming whether the stainless-steel hoses have a stainless-steel core or just a braided stainless-steel exterior sheath.

(Me, I'd question the need for two 11kg refillable bottles for a panel-van conversion unless the intention is to have the motorhome unmoving for weeks on a campsite with no EHU or the vehicle will be used regularly for wild-camping in freezing conditions. A pair of 6kg containers maybe, but a pair of 11kg bottles - Why?)

Guest JudgeMental

Their is room for 2x11 so why not......saves all the faf'ing about looking for gas, particularly in Spain where LPG stations few and far between. What's the point of 2x6 kg may as well carry 1 x11kg?

I know £330 quote was for non stako bottles but did not realise they have the magnetic level which are nigh on useless aren't they? Maybe your right as we are only really 2 - 3 season campers.

I guess I could get one 11 kg and carry my lightweight calor as an emergency bottle.......

I thought the Alugas had a reputation for being problematic..would you use them?

Just had a good punt around the web, the only problems I could find were with the "Calor Gas" re-fillable bottles where the inside of the bottle was uncoated and they had corrosion problems and ended up withdrawing them.

Alugas is a German company and the have been making/marketing aluminium re-fillable bottles for years I can not find any reports of any problems, I believe the inside of their bottles are coated to prevent corrosion.

Having never MH'd far enough afield to have to worry about gas(..in fields yes..afield, no! (lol) )

..but I've always thought that one refillable, as large as will fit and one exchange cylinder, that is "common in the area", would be as good an option as any...

Edited to change ".. common to...", to "...common IN.." ;-)

pepe63 - 2014-01-24 10:04 AM

Having never MH'd far enough afield to have to worry about gas(..in fields yes..afield, no! (lol) )

..but I've always thought that one refillable, as large as will fit and one exchange cylinder, that is "common in the area", would be as good an option as any...

Edited to change ".. common to...", to "...common IN.." ;-)

Just easier to fit two refillable cylinders especially if you are heavy gas users like us 11kg/22Lt lasts us 2-3 weeks in September. Cost in perspective to the cost of the van is not much a couple of hundred quid more when you are spending 60 grand on the van. Now if you are retro filling cost always seems more important, do it at the time of purchase appears to be a lot easier to spend a few hundred quid.9

Edit:

We often camp off grid & don't want a 100 mile round trip to fill up with gas.

Hi Lenny..

Sorry, I wasn't meaning to dispute whether or not folk should have one or two refillables..If someone's usage and regions of travel call for two, then of cause it would make sense...

But I just can't help but feel that some folk who opt for(or get steered towards?) all-singing- and-dancing double refillable systems, would have managed perfectly well with one bottle...

(..even on this forum, I've read posts from users, saying how great their system is etc..only to then say that in the 2-3 years they've had it, they've only ever topped it up once or twice anyway..?! (lol) )

Guest JudgeMental
last time I topped mine up it cost £2.60:-D So I guess Pepe I fall into that category. So OK say I just fit one, and bring the lightweight calor that I havent a clue what it contains and cannot part fill..to be honest for the sake of another few hundred quid would rather fit and forget......but due to this thread Im finking about it ;-)

JudgeMental - 2014-01-24 11:47 AM

..to be honest for the sake of another few hundred quid would rather fit and forget......

I can see the sense in that Eddie, as Lenny says, in the overall scheme of things an extra couple of hundred quid is neither here nor there...

Either way, I wouldn't have thought you'd want to be lugging a Calor with you though..

I was thinking more of a cylinder that was easily "exchangeable" whilst away on the continent and that that could be used as a back up option, IF pumped LPG wasn't an easy option...?

JudgeMental - 2014-01-24 12:44 PM

Lenny if your correct and aluminium bottles OK they seems to be the same price as the steel @ £329.784 inc VAT for the pair.

http://www.autogasshop.co.uk/alugas-lightweight-refillable-lpg-cylinder-with-gauge-2-hole-26-p.asp

and they do the twin Stako bottles with kit for £360 (alu £500)

Prices vary depending which page of their site you are on Try this one = £308 inc vat.

Steel 6kg from Gas-it works only £240.

JudgeMental - 2014-01-24 9:47 AM

Their is room for 2x11 so why not......saves all the faf'ing about looking for gas, particularly in Spain where LPG stations few and far between. What's the point of 2x6 kg may as well carry 1 x11kg?

I know £330 quote was for non stako bottles but did not realise they have the magnetic level which are nigh on useless aren't they? Maybe your right as we are only really 2 - 3 season campers.

I guess I could get one 11 kg and carry my lightweight calor as an emergency bottle.......

I wasn't suggesting that you carry 2 x 6kg bottles. As it was plain your motohome could carry 2 x 11kg canisters that would be a daft idea.

What I meant was that, if a motorhome were unable to house large gas-bottles (as is the case with plenty of UK designs), it could make good sense to carry a pair of 6kg refillable bottles. But, if a motohome could house 11kg bottles (where one bottle has approaching the capacity of 2 x 6kg ones) the argument for carrying two 11kg bottles becomes less persuasive. After all, there's not only the extra cost of the 2nd bottle, but also the extra weight that's being carted around.

It's also worth mentioning, perhaps, that over-11kg bottles can be obtained.

lennyhb - 2014-01-24 9:58 AM

I thought the Alugas had a reputation for being problematic..would you use them?

Just had a good punt around the web, the only problems I could find were with the "Calor Gas" re-fillable bottles where the inside of the bottle was uncoated and they had corrosion problems and ended up withdrawing them.

Alugas is a German company and the have been making/marketing aluminium re-fillable bottles for years I can not find any reports of any problems, I believe the inside of their bottles are coated to prevent corrosion.

Having spotted a very elderly Calor-branded aluminium bottle dumped at my local recycling centre, I subsequently asked about this container at the Worcester Calor depot. I was told that these canisters had been withdrawn (years before) because some of them had cracked. Apparently they had proven to be much more vulnerable than steel containers to the sort of rough handling gas-bottles can often be subjected to during distribution. No mention of 'coating' or corrosion was made (though that doesn't mean it isn't relevant).

These Calor bottles were, of course, not intended for user-refilling.

Guest JudgeMental

I have the truma duocontrol (or whatever it is) change over valve, so can use that.

someone on another forum uses the safefill bottles and just takes them in his car to get filled...but looking on map on safefill site there is nowhere within easy reach of london or on route to ports....looking like a non starter *-)

might just go for one alugas 11 kg

pepe63 - 2014-01-24 12:00 PM................I was thinking more of a cylinder that was easily "exchangeable" whilst away on the continent and that that could be used as a back up option, IF pumped LPG wasn't an easy option...?

In practical terms, there ain't one! Camping Gaz is the only source of cylinders that can be exchanged freely across national borders and has a common connection type. It is butane. All other exchange cylinder suppliers, AFAIK, are peculiar to each country, and most countries (and some brands within countries) have differing "pigtail" connection types. There are a few exceptions - I believe there is some commonality between Spain and Portugal, and the French propane connection is the same as the UK butane connection, but generally, with exchange cylinders, if you buy the cylinder in one country you can only exchange it in that country, and if you buy any cylinder outside the UK it is unlikely to fit the pigtail in your van.

We therefore have one Calor propane and one French Butagaz propane, on the basis that most trips involve France somewhere, so an empty Butagaz (widely available in France) can be exchanged while away, and we always start/finish from UK, where Calor is widely available. However, our gas consumption is relative light, and 13kg lasts us around 12 weeks.

Following on from Brians post, ........eddie, i would suggest a good investment would be an extra long hose complete withJumbo fitting for spanish bottles giving the ability to use cheap local gas while on an extended stay in Spain. Gives you the flexibility along the lines of Brians plan.

Guest JudgeMental
but we travel wide and only go to spain for 6 weeks max. one refillable will be enough and can add another later if need be. but i like the external bbq as well as filler point so thats a must. A shame as those safefill do appeal, maybe they will catch on eventually

Archived