Ventilation fan speed control problem

colin weston

During a recent trip to France I experienced a problem with the ventilation fan speed control on the dashboard (Peugeot Boxer 3). The ventilation fan does not operate on speed settings 1,2 or 3 but does operate on setting 4. Therefore I believe that the fan motor is not the problem. I have checked the fuse in the facia for the ventilation system and that is OK. I have tried searching for a wiring diagram without success but did find some references regarding blower speed rheostat, blower control module, blower relay and blower speed control. Whether all of these items are relevant to the Boxer 3 I do not know. I assume that the rheostat may well be the problem although it seems odd that three speeds fail at the same time. Any suggestions short of suggesting a trip to a Peugeot dealer would be welcome.

Hi Colin;

I had same problem on our 08 Ducato, I believe that the rheostat was changed and that a section of the wiring had to be replaced as it had burned/overheated!

I'm afraid I can't pinpoint the location of the affected section of the wiring loom,

regards

alan b

Update: Based on the feedback I thought I would first examine the connector on the basis that it might only be a poor contact. No such luck! Having removed the connector and examined it the end contact had overheated (presumably the low speed setting contact) and melted part of the connector. Also part of the loom attached to the connector is sticky and it would appear that the wire to this contact has got very hot. Am I wrong in thinking that fuses are fitted to protect the wiring from this sort of problem? In all my motoring over 55 years I have never experienced such a problem. My 18 year old Rover 600 SDI soldiers on but that was based on a Honda; enough said.

I am assuming that the resistor is the part that the connector mates to. On my 2007 Boxer this part has one hex head screw, easily removed, and then appears to be clipped into the fan housing but is not easy to release. Am I correct? It looks as if I need a new connector, maybe a new resistor and some wiring replaced. Presumably the connector leads to the fan control switch. Maybe I need to check this as well? Next steps?

There are three resistors, the lowest setting uses all three, cutting them out as the speeds step up, the highest has none so the motor gets all 12V.

Its a common arrangement. Failure often involves a poor connection giving a high resistance that overheats cooking the wiring. Current demand is limited by the increased resistance so the fuse stays intact unless a wire shorts to earth.

Got a quote from the local Peugeot dealer for a new resistor, (Peugeot Part No 6450XR) £17.02 including VAT. He said this was very cheap as they are usually far more expensive. Of course the connector is part of the loom and he quoted me £76 for a loom with the connector attached. As I had checked the resistor for continuity and got a reading on my meter of 001 I was not convinced that the resistor itself was faulty. At the local Maplin's store I obtained some miniature female spade connectors (£1.99 a pack) to connect the wires to the resistor. These were a very tight fit on the spades and I was confident that the contact would be good. Hey presto, all functions were restored. If I had taken the van to a dealer for fixing what would they have done and how much would they have charged? A proper replacement connector, mine was made by Denso, would have been preferably in some respects but it seems that some of these connectors are not fit for purpose.

Thanks to all for the info. I am now a bit wiser. Until the next time................

colin weston - 2013-10-01 8:28 PM

Got a quote from the local Peugeot dealer for a new resistor, (Peugeot Part No 6450XR) £17.02 including VAT. He said this was very cheap as they are usually far more expensive. Of course the connector is part of the loom and he quoted me £76 for a loom with the connector attached. As I had checked the resistor for continuity and got a reading on my meter of 001 I was not convinced that the resistor itself was faulty. At the local Maplin's store I obtained some miniature female spade connectors (£1.99 a pack) to connect the wires to the resistor. These were a very tight fit on the spades and I was confident that the contact would be good. Hey presto, all functions were restored. If I had taken the van to a dealer for fixing what would they have done and how much would they have charged? A proper replacement connector, mine was made by Denso, would have been preferably in some respects but it seems that some of these connectors are not fit for purpose.

Thanks to all for the info. I am now a bit wiser. Until the next time................

hi colin am i correct in thinkiing that your problem was with the loom and connecters, thanks for your update

Archived