Are we getting our fair share' EU budget that is ?

Guest 1footinthegrave

Guest 1footinthegrave
Currently at Zumaia northerrn Spain having travelled up the brand new motorway Autovia A21 from Jaca. The astonishing piece of engineering including some very long tunnels and huge viaducts is a sight to see, and a wonderful experience as we were for the most part the only vehicle on it for mile after mile, and completely toll free. I'm told by the owner of the site we are currently on it was EU funded, and yet we are led to believe they have a basket case economy and need EU cash, I wish the UK was then I wouldn't have to dread the M25 in the next few weeks time.

Pleasant little town Mike - full of mullet and bass in the harbour and river when we were there in June.

Grubby little Aire on the industrial estate but good enough for an overnight stop with free water at rather mucky service point and pleasant riverside walk into town!

Guest 1footinthegrave
Yes Rich spotted the sign ( in the Basque language I think ) had a lunch break there,and found the service point mmm charming, the missus said the trains and the engineering factory may have kept us awake, so decided on an acsi site up the road with wifi to touch base with you guys, and have a moan. :D

Guest 1footinthegrave
We have just done Pau, Lourdes ( Blackpool with a religious angle ) Bielsa tunnel through the Pyrenees to Spain ( stunning) even though the missus was wetting herself. Now going to wonder around here for a week if. Then up to our ex bosses house near Bordeaux taking in Arcachon along/ the way as we were told it was worth a look, however any suggestions welcomed that neck of the woods, as we have never got ttto the atlanttic coast of France

If you get the chance to go over the Picos de Europa mountains the views are spectacular and the road far less intimidating than the Alpes.

We went via the prehistoric cave at Santillana del Mar, but Antony was not at home, with it's religious interest in the town (if you are interested in religion).

If not it's quite an interesting old town largely pedestrianised, and much easier to cope with than noisy frantic Santander and Bilbao.

We later stopped overnight at a free beach aire at Playa Meron just West of San Vicente de la Barquera (no services) and went inland to Panes, on to Cangas de Onis (another free car park type aire with service point).

A visit to Covadonga and the Lagos Enol and Ercina is worth the drive if you like mountains, eagles and religious sites.

You should be able to get some info on all of these online and from TIOs although as ever the TIOs only ever have very local info but we found the young ladies running them totally charming and very keen to help. Mind you they are all probably shut for the year now!!

That would probably be far enough for a week as we then went on down to Leon but once out of the mountains the scenery normalises into the plains of Spain, but it did get noticably warmer. We then worked our way across to Cabo Fisterra and back along the North Coast but it is quite a long way, although we enjoyed it and the coastal harbours and beaches - especially the harbourside aire at Arcade (with services of a sort!) and Cathedral Beach near Ribadeo. Perhaps another time?

Have to agree about the roads - stunning and quiet and mainly free - and so they bloomin' well should be as we paid for a lot of 'em via the wonderful EU

Guest 1footinthegrave
Thanks Rich, all noted, had planned that museum whose name escapes me for now in Bilbao but not sure if we can cope with the Spanish drivers, seem like bloody nutters, so maybe we'll be back over the border before long, very nearly had a motorbike sitting in the front with us just today. B-) and every trucker seems to be a relation of Patrick Mcgoohan or Stanley Baker, but that would probably be before your time. ;-)

1footinthegrave - 2013-09-26 7:56 PM

every trucker seems to be a relation of Patrick Mcgoohan or Stanley Baker, but that would probably be before your time. ;-)

If only Mike, if only!!

Did you mean the Guggenheim?

If you like Spanish drivers and motor cyclists you would love them in Monte Carlo and Nice - adds a whole new meaning to Kamikaze!

To be fair most cities are manic when it comes to driving but on balance we have found Spanish drivers to be no more aggressive than the French or German drivers once away from cities.

I sometimes think maybe seeing a GB plate often makes them more scared of us than we are of them!

Guest 1footinthegrave
Ah that's the one, may chicken out and take the train in probably far easier. Anyway about to get back down to the van no signal where I'm pitched, so it's goodnight from me. ;-)P.S would love to know why my granddaughters school was closed through funding issues, but just the cost of one mile of that new Autovia would have probably paid to keep it open for the next 50 years.

Archived