Attitudes to 5th Wheels

sean.clarke

You wouldn't get 99% of them on an aire as they are far too large. A lot of them are badly built, being made of chipboard. That's why they look so attractively cheap. A lot are also illegal because they are American and too wide for our regulations.

peter - 2013-10-01 10:26 PMYou wouldn't get 99% of them on an aire as they are far too large. A lot of them are badly built, being made of chipboard. That's why they look so attractively cheap. A lot are also illegal because they are American and too wide for our regulations.

I agree they are unwieldy for use in the UK being so large but where do you get the 'illegal' bit from Peter?

sean.clarke - 2013-10-01 10:36 PMUS models can be 8ft wide, UK regs state 7ft 6 (or thereabouts) max width, that's why motorhomes/caravans are typically the same width (or same max width should I say as they can of course be narrower).

Shamelessly pinched from a.n other web site:

Extract of a letter received from the Department of Transport, UK, October 1995.

All vehicles and trailers used on our roads (UK) must comply with the Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations 1986 (SI 1986/078): as amended and the Road Vehicles Lighting Regulations 1989 (SI 1989/1796): also as amended.  These Regulations set the overall parameters and technical specifications such as width, length, weights, braking systems, lights etc, with which vehicles must comply if they are to be used on our roads.

The maximum dimensions allowable for the fifth wheel trailer when towed by a motor car or light van are 2.3 metres (7 feet 6 inches) in width and 7 metres (approximately 23 feet) in length.  However, if the towing vehicle is a motor vehicle with a gross weight exceeding 3,500 kgs, (Heavy Duty License required for this) the maximum permitted width becomes 2.5 metres (8 feet 2V2. inches) and 12 metres (approximately 39 feet 4 inches) in length providing the trailer has at least 4 wheels.

So not illegal..........it merely requires the correct licence.

Guest pelmetman
JudgeMental - 2013-10-02 8:19 AM

Awful things, maybe OK I guess if full timing.....have you considered A frame towing?? :D ;-)

Or a caravan? ;-)

bolero boy - 2013-10-02 8:39 AM

Sean, are you asking because you are looking to change your motorhome?

No, I saw one previously and it was very very impressive and wondered if they are caravan or motorhome as they are sort of somewhere in between (in my mind anyway). I am exploring something like a scooter to aid mobility, it might be something we consider in the future, but certainly not at the moment - love our motorhome, just getting ready for another weekend away again.

Guest JudgeMental
sean.clarke - 2013-10-02 8:42 AM

Awful things, maybe OK I guess if full timing.....have you considered A frame towing?? :D ;-)

And a demountable isn't ? *-)

Are you talking about full size American demountables, with slide outs etc...I have only had European demountables, tiny in comparison, and handling still compromised!

if keen on something like this, I would try one first! Have seen the UK one you mentioned at a show, certainly look a far better construction then the American chip board and staple gun models.....what's wrong with a caravan, your not going to get on aires with a massive 5th wheeler anyway...But I would rather have a lightweight quality caravan ( when hell freezes over that is!)

JudgeMental - 2013-10-02 9:01 AM

sean.clarke - 2013-10-02 8:42 AM

And a demountable isn't ? *-)

Are you talking about full size American demountables, with slide outs etc...I have only had European demountables, tiny in comparison, and handling still compromised!

if keen on something like this, I would try one first! Have seen the UK one you mentioned at a show, certainly look a far better construction then the American chip board and staple gun models.....what's wrong with a caravan, your not going to get on aires with a massive 5th wheeler anyway...But I would rather have a lightweight quality caravan ( when hell freezes over that is!)

Forgive my antagonistic reply - I was just merely highlighting an "opinion" B-)

Yes, it was certainly a UK model, looked well built, I just wondered on where they fit in the market. I have nothing against caravanning, but I am not keen on towing and not keen on all the faf once you arrive on site - some people like it, great - power to them, but it is not for me. Everyone is different.

I love our motorhome, certainly not looking at getting rid. I would consider an A frame, but would prefer scooter (perhaps an MP3) solution. Wife can't ride a bike with confidence, and has arthritis in her knees so i would be limited anyway.

Just a thought, why not try an electric bike, should aid your wife's confidence as there is performance to spare and will give a good range for getting about away from the van.

Wife has one and I will probably get one next year (still a fit young thing!) as two weeks around North Devon taught me the difference between effort and relaxation!

Guest JudgeMental
bolero boy - 2013-10-02 9:45 AM

Just a thought, why not try an electric bike, should aid your wife's confidence as there is performance to spare and will give a good range for getting about away from the van.

Wife has one and I will probably get one next year (still a fit young thing!) as two weeks around North Devon taught me the difference between effort and relaxation!

cycling, e cycling, swimming etc..recommended for arthritis..Dont use and you loose

Guest pelmetman
sean.clarke - 2013-10-02 10:54 AM

She has an exercise bike - but absolutely no sense of balance, wouldn't even go there, she would be a genuine danger to herself and others.

My Mrs is like that :D.................even managed to fall off a tricycle 8-)

Guest JudgeMental
Mrs T - 2013-10-02 3:28 PM

Is there a tandem E bike ?

Yes there are various models, and even adult sized stabilizers :-D

They are a Caravan in all but name, a bit more 'Stable' than a conventional caravan though (so I have been told by a happy owner).Some have Slide-outs so can increase their size, once on site. I agree that they are a bit 'unwieldy', and of course you need a 'man sized' Pickup Truck to haul it around. They are OK, but not for me. Ray

I had to smile one evening when taking the dog for her evening walk in the pouring rain I noticed a 5th wheel owner happily doing a BBQ in the shelter of the overhang at the front where it would normally connect to the towing vehicle.

Not for us but I must admit that some of the British ones are very well built and fitted out.

Just one more thing to bear in mind. The DVLA only recognise EWVTA (European Whole Vehicle type Approval). As a result many of the very large and extremely powerfull pickups are only cleared for use in the UK and therefore EU up to a Max GVW and train weight of 3500kg. This is despite the fact that the makers plate may say something much higher.

A lot of the far eastern built pick up may well have EWVTA but by and large not USA built vehicles. The Ford Rangers are I would guess OK but I have not checked.

To my mind Fifth wheelers only make sense if you already have a PU that is also used for other purposes.

Archived