Query for Mel B

DonB

I am working through your post of 11 August re putting POIs on Tomtom. When I looked at the German site I was not able to find a way to show the information in English. Am I being thick here, ( I am not an expert!) or is there something I've missed. Neither of us speak German and we are going through Germany and Austria on our way to Croatia very shortly (leaving UK 311 August). Sheila (DonB's better half)

I assume you mean the link to the 'reisemobil' site. As far as I can tell there isn't an English version but you shouldn't need it. If you scroll down to the table and identify which SatNav you have (TomTom, Navigon etc). If there is a 'X' in the column then they are the POIs you can download for your system. Eg, for TomTom there's Deutschland (3 or them) and Italien (2 of them). They are produced by different people so you just have to choose which you want then download. If you want to translate some of the text go to the following website page for a Babel Fish Translation assistant: http://world.altavista.com/ Some of the translation can be a bit weird (and hilarious!) but you'll get the gist of it. If this isn't what you mean, let me know.

Thanks Mel, I will have a go at putting these on Tomtom. After I posted my query about the German site, I tried to download the French one, but I can't access that at all, can't open the site or unzip it! I love computers! My Windows XP system doesn't seem to understand an ov2 file. For that matter neither do I.... Any thoughts?

Hi DonB You won't be able to OPEN an 'ov2' file on the PC as it isn't a supported file type for Windows, it will, however, work in TomTom as it is a data file meant to be used for that application. If you are used to using TomTom software, a computer and a PDA you don't actually need to physically link up your PDA to the computer, this is what you need to do: 1) You need to go to the website, click on the link then save it to your PC. 2) Put your storage card in a card reader that is linked to your computer 3) Go to where you saved the 'ov2' and 'bitmap' (image) files on your computer, drag and drop them in turn to your storage card's mapping folder for that country - ie if you've got France on your TomTom and you've downloaded the French POIs then put them in the France folder (it's easier to do 'drag and drop' with 2 lots of 'windows explorer' screens open). 4) Next you need to remove the storage card from the reader and put it back into your PDA, then turn the PDA on and start TomTom, and select: 'Change Preferences' 'Manage POI' 'Enable/Disable POI' then tick the box for the new POI types (ie if it's the german one it will be called "Reisemobile ..." and press Done. The POIs should then work. Sorry if this is teaching you to suck eggs but I don't know how used to doing this you are. Yell if you need any more info. Mel B

Archived