stolen generator - Lincoln show

foxy

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Having been a member of this site for a number of years, It didn`t surprise me what type of replies I would get. It was just meant to be a warning to secure them, I normally did, but on this occasion I only wanted it on for an hour to watch something on TV, the battery was failing and it was early evening. Most vans around me had gone, so it was not really disturbing anyone. I wouldn`t be happy having one rattling away late into the night so I try to be considerate.

For all you know I could have had a dialysis machine running off it and it was the only way I could get away and enjoy the freedom.

It seems gone are the days when you could leave your things and not see them vanish.

But I shall just carry on enjoying life as I have always done, just wish I`d gone to Spain instead!

Foxy

Having been a member of this site for a number of years, It didn`t surprise me what type of replies I would get. It was just meant to be a warning to secure them, I normally did, but on this occasion I only wanted it on for an hour to watch something on TV, the battery was failing and it was early evening. Most vans around me had gone, so it was not really disturbing anyone. I wouldn`t be happy having one rattling away late into the night so I try to be considerate.

For all you know I could have had a dialysis machine running off it and it was the only way I could get away and enjoy the freedom.

It seems gone are the days when you could leave your things and not see them vanish.

But I shall just carry on enjoying life as I have always done, just wish I`d gone to Spain instead!

Foxy

Guest JudgeMental
nowtelse2do - 2013-10-04 3:06 PM

JudgeMental - 2013-10-04 2:55 PM

So do smokers..... dum de du de dum de de........:D

gas bbq OK

I've cut down. :-> ;-)

Dave

GOOD! now take the big step..you only live once.... :-D

So says judge mental the evangelist. Always taking the opportunity to preach against, GENERATORS, SMOKING, A FRAMES, DOGS and BARBEQUES. Give it a rest judge, it gets on peoples tits, and is boring.

Edit. I forgot to mention BRITISH VANS.

If anyone can think of any more please feel free to add them. :D

foxy - 2013-10-04 4:12 PM

Foxy

not wishing to trivialse your loss but throwing the dialysis carde is a bit of red herring,i.m.o. i would want a hookup& a gennie as backup

JudgeMental - 2013-10-04 4:49 PM

gas bbq OK

Dave

I did.....it made me grumpy and a bit nasty at times......you're not a ex smoker by any chance are you Eddie :-> :D (just asking)

Yep, i'll only live once but I've vowed to either die all of a sudden or hang on until the last breath :-D :-D

Strange thing is, I've been to two funerals this week, one on Wendnesday and one today, both non smokers and both younger than me. :-(

Dave

Guest JudgeMental
nowtelse2do - 2013-10-04 10:15 PM

JudgeMental - 2013-10-04 4:49 PM

gas bbq OK

Dave

I did.....it made me grumpy and a bit nasty at times......you're not a ex smoker by any chance are you Eddie :-> :D (just asking)

Yep, i'll only live once but I've vowed to either die all of a sudden or hang on until the last breath :-D :-D

Strange thing is, I've been to two funerals this week, one on Wendnesday and one today, both non smokers and both younger than me. :-(

Dave

fighting for breath and a drip in your lung not the nicest way to go..Years ago I was admitted for an ear infection, due to overcrowded wards, I ended up on a chest ward..enough to put you of smoking for life..and some of these guys were still popping out for a smoke dragging the drip with them......about 3 died the week i was there:-S Sorry its heart breaking for those concerned and their familys and an utter waste.. To answer your question yes ex smoker for 22 years (first 10 the hardest)

Guest JudgeMental
bigal55 - 2013-10-04 9:50 PM

foxy - 2013-10-04 4:12 PM

Foxy

not wishing to trivialse your loss but throwing the dialysis carde is a bit of red herring,i.m.o. i would want a hookup& a gennie as backup

and as someone living with kidney failure...you would probably choose Peritoneal dialysis (PD) for travelling. no power required..but when and if that day comes with the risk of infection, personally would not be carrying out these sort of procedures in a van on a field. You really need to turn a bedroom into hospital room, they install special flooring, the works... 8-)

JudgeMental - 2013-10-04 10:14 AM

what do you expect the reception to be like.....99% of campers detest generators and see them as unnecessary. To compound this by not securing it ..well!lol

Interesting statistic, did you dream it? Or are you so out of touch with modern motorhoming? Go to any show and count the amount of genny's in use during the day, I think you will find more than 1 in a hundred, plus while some people may not have one, they don't unlike you, all have a pathological hatred of them.

Ian

Guest JudgeMental
olley - 2013-10-05 12:58 PM

JudgeMental - 2013-10-04 10:14 AM

what do you expect the reception to be like.....99% of campers detest generators and see them as unnecessary. To compound this by not securing it ..well!lol

Interesting statistic, did you dream it? Or are you so out of touch with modern motorhoming? Go to any show and count the amount of genny's in use during the day, I think you will find more than 1 in a hundred, plus while some people may not have one, they don't unlike you, all have a pathological hatred of them.

Ian

Pathological?lol take a Chill pill for heavens sake..........FYI I don't do UK shows, have done never again... Any german show I attend with literally 1000's of vans on site have yet to see or hear one...just dont see the need that is all...

The generator owners are probably the first to complain about aircraft noise and barking dogs. Site owners should do what is done in the USA, send them to the farthest point of the field herding them all together. We would never own one.

Mrs T - 2013-10-05 2:40 PM

The generator owners are probably the first to complain about aircraft noise and barking dogs. Site owners should do what is done in the USA, send them to the farthest point of the field herding them all together. We would never own one.

Well that's a couple of pretty baseless assumptions; but your solution is a pretty sensible one! (I'd be happy to be herded on that basis!

I've often thought about a generator; more use than a solar panel for 12 months of the year (subject to patterns of use of course) ; and I'm inclined to think less antisocial than a badly maintained SOG.

Seems we all have our prejudices!

Sorry to hear of the original post, particularly as it was in Lincs; but hey; could have happened anywhere,

Best regards'

alan b

Guest JudgeMental
sshortcircuit - 2013-10-05 6:04 PM

I would thank the OP for giving us his experience and I will certainly ensure mine is secured when in use. There are no problems with generators when used sensibly same as there would be no problems on this forum if brains were used sensibly, unfortately not always the case.

You appear a sensible chap.....Under what circumstances do you need a generator...

Mrs T - 2013-10-05 2:40 PM

Site owners should do what is done in the USA, send them to the farthest point of the field herding them all together. We would never own one.

Where did you get that from? Maybe the same place judge got his statistics. (lol)

Most if not all American Motorhomes have a built-in-genny, so it could get pretty crowded down in that furthest point. (lol) If your going to have a go at genny owners, get your facts right, otherwise you just make yourself look silly.

Ian

Guest pelmetman

Don't have a genny :'(................but I have a charcoal bbq and a Ukulele :-D............and my names Pelmetman :->...................so perhaps a genny will be my ultimate accessory B-)..........

For getting lots of space around my pitch (lol) (lol) (lol)

Yes that is exactly what I was referring to, when entering a site with an obviously large generator sat on the roof the first thing we were asked was "Are you going to run that generator here, cos if you are we will site you at the far end of the field"

And that was away from all the facilities.

Indeed Mr Olley what is wrong with my comments regarding the USA. We are talking generators here nothing was said about where they were situated either loose or fixed.

I don't know how I can change the facts as were said, please make suggestions.

They were KOA sites and I can look for the area if interested BUT I WILL POST a picture tomorrow.

The comments were a suggestion where site owners might improve the lot of quiet campers, and nothing to do with generator owners.

Ollie

Mr T says that most of our US journey pictures were dumped so I doubt there will be any, all I can suggest are written descriptions. Briefly 5 visits in most areas, including New England, New Orleans and the West Coast, some with that rather fast delta winged aircraft. We are past going now as hiring becomes more difficult with age.

PS I should add that we never used the generator for cooling either due to the internal noise also as we found the contrast moving in and out of the heat was worse than adjusting to it. I hope that answers all your queries.

My apologies for no pictures.

JudgeMental - 2013-10-05 6:19 PM

I would thank the OP for giving us his experience and I will certainly ensure mine is secured when in use. There are no problems with generators when used sensibly same as there would be no problems on this forum if brains were used sensibly, unfortately not always the case.

You appear a sensible chap.....Under what circumstances do you need a generator...

At a kart track to run compressor etc. At any other site if I need to use microwave oven and as I have said, used sensibly.

Guest JudgeMental
sshortcircuit - 2013-10-05 8:26 PM

At a kart track to run compressor etc. At any other site if I need to use microwave oven and as I have said, used sensibly.

40 odd years of camping I can count number of generators I have seen on campsites easily on one hand, probably on two fingers.....UK shows, like fairgrounds different....full timing, again different. microwaves, any advance on hair dryers, hovers..give me a break!lol what's wrong with peace and quiet, not frightening the wild life, let alone disturbing fellow campers....

JudgeMental - 2013-10-05 8:44 PM

sshortcircuit - 2013-10-05 8:26 PM

40 odd years of camping I can count number of generators I have seen on campsites easily on one hand, probably on two fingers.....UK shows, like fairgrounds different....full timing, again different. microwaves, any advance on hair dryers, hovers..give me a break!lol what's wrong with peace and quiet, not frightening the wild life, let alone disturbing fellow campers....

You have obviously lived a very sheltered life. What's your problem within sensible use of a generator?

Archived