stolen generator - Lincoln show

foxy

Guest pelmetman
JudgeMental - 2013-10-05 8:44 PM

sshortcircuit - 2013-10-05 8:26 PM

JudgeMental - 2013-10-05 6:19 PM

sshortcircuit - 2013-10-05 6:04 PM

I would thank the OP for giving us his experience and I will certainly ensure mine is secured when in use. There are no problems with generators when used sensibly same as there would be no problems on this forum if brains were used sensibly, unfortately not always the case.

You appear a sensible chap.....Under what circumstances do you need a generator...

At a kart track to run compressor etc. At any other site if I need to use microwave oven and as I have said, used sensibly.

40 odd years of camping I can count number of generators I have seen on campsites easily on one hand, probably on two fingers.....UK shows, like fairgrounds different....full timing, again different. microwaves, any advance on hair dryers, hovers..give me a break!lol what's wrong with peace and quiet, not frightening the wild life, let alone disturbing fellow campers....

You have a point your Judgeness...............My first experience of a full throttle generator was a couple of years ago at Peterborough show 8-)

But then again we are now dated :-( .................but at least I sold my motorhoming virginity in the late 70's in Morocco..........................and our dates were fresh B-) .......

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Mrs T - 2013-10-05 7:04 PM

Yes that is exactly what I was referring to, when entering a site with an obviously large generator sat on the roof the first thing we were asked was "Are you going to run that generator here, cos if you are we will site you at the far end of the field"

And that was away from all the facilities.

Mrs T american motorhomes, RV's to you and me don't have gennys on the roof, what they have on the roof are ac units' (air con). Genny's are always down low because they are so heavy. I assume they thought you were going to run them to cool down, and they can he quite noisy.

I have to say noise from genny's, dogs, cats, people, main roads etc don't bother me or the wife. I used to kip 3' from an 8 litre diesel running at full chat, when I worked for BR years ago.

Ian

Guest 1footinthegrave
A 12 volt TV / Dvd, Led lighting, gas for cooking, solar panels for leisure batteries, 2000 watt inverter, what am I missing that justifies the use or need of a generator especially in the close confines of others.

We still cannot find a family picture so had to post a Cruise America ad which was the same as we hired. This of course gave us a great insight into living in a small space for a month which every potential Motorhome owner should do before buying.

It was said to us always buy twice the size that you think you will need and how true that was.

1footinthegrave - 2013-10-06 9:03 AM

A 12 volt TV / Dvd, Led lighting, gas for cooking, solar panels for leisure batteries, 2000 watt inverter, what am I missing that justifies the use or need of a generator especially in the close confines of others.

It looks like you have covered YOUR needs and others may well have different needs. Why would you think that all generators are run in close confines of others? The usual missing rare commodity, common sense

Just joined this forum, is this the kind of debate I can look forward to ;) as above opinions are one thing, personal insults are another.

To add my two pence worth, as far as I remember never taken or stolen anything from someone else

But

After experiencing someone running a generator for the first time this year (and we were 4 vans away) I had decided that if he was started it up next evening I was going to take it and hide it up in amongst the trees

So IMHO if you run a generator on a campsite, at best you are going to be unpopular, at worst you going to lose it!

Guest JudgeMental
Been there! Stayed on tents on campground...very memorable 6 week tour of California (hired car, hotels mainly). brought about at very short notice, when we found out Mrs M was pregnant with our second....one 12 month old enough for touring. Get the old fella a haircut and bottle of hair dye? :D

JudgeMental - 2013-10-05 8:44 PM

sshortcircuit - 2013-10-05 8:26 PM

JudgeMental - 2013-10-05 6:19 PM

sshortcircuit - 2013-10-05 6:04 PM

I would thank the OP for giving us his experience and I will certainly ensure mine is secured when in use. There are no problems with generators when used sensibly same as there would be no problems on this forum if brains were used sensibly, unfortately not always the case.

You appear a sensible chap.....Under what circumstances do you need a generator...

At a kart track to run compressor etc. At any other site if I need to use microwave oven and as I have said, used sensibly.

40 odd years of camping I can count number of generators I have seen on campsites easily on one hand, probably on two fingers.....UK shows, like fairgrounds different....full timing, again different. microwaves, any advance on hair dryers, hovers..give me a break!lol what's wrong with peace and quiet, not frightening the wild life, let alone disturbing fellow campers....

Any newby reading this thread could be forgiven for thinking people with gennys run them 24/7, on every site they go to. In actual fact apart from I think Forestry sites, 99.9% of the rest (Got that statistic from judge) all have ehu so why would you run your genny? Mine is a 5Kva unit built-in at the rear, the clock shows it has run for just under 100 hours in the last 9 years and some of that is just me exercising it in my garden.

The only place I have heard genny's running or have run mine is at shows, or if we wild camp. Judge has already said he doesn't do UK shows, and apparently foreigners don't have them, so where has he heard a genny running? In his dreams maybe. (lol)

Its all about choices, and making sure your choices don't effect others to much. If a dog on the pitch next to me barks occasionally, I don't go round and complain, unless its doing it continually, the same with genny's, if the guy runs it for an hour or two a day, fine. If he runs it all day its not.

Live and let live.

Ian

Cos we full time in a fifth wheeler we do have a genny but hardly ever use it,its a quiet runner but the drone bugs me,have a total of 250 watts of solar feeding 2 110amp batts and last easily for a week without ehu,we are terrible telly heads,so we use a bit of power,all lights are led.Dont have any problem with other peoples gennys except years ago at a small festival,these lads near us in a van had a huge diesel genny on a trailer which ran day and night! I politely asked them to turn it off at 6am,they had started it at 5! I also informed tem i would take a hammer to it if it came back on,bit foolish with hindsight but well p*ssed off!

Guest 1footinthegrave
sshortcircuit - 2013-10-06 9:13 AM

1footinthegrave - 2013-10-06 9:03 AM

It looks like you have covered YOUR needs and others may well have different needs. Why would you think that all generators are run in close confines of others? The usual missing rare commodity, common sense

In the case of the OP it clearly was being run in the close confines of others, and as you accuse me of having no common sense perhaps it is common sense to acknowledged unless you want to run an arc welder there is absolutely no need for a generator given the devices and technologies available today, if you really cannot exist off grid, go find a hookup, and leave everyone else in peace.

I am ashamed to admit that i have had 2 complaints about my music,once at a show when a guy in the next motorhome came over and said he was moving cos of my music,i apologised and offered to turn it down,he said the volume isnt a problem you have terrible taste in music! The second time was on a campsite and we had friends over for a bbq,the site owner kept walking up and down near our unit then went away,later on he told us that somebody had complained to the office.He spoke to them and they said it wasnt the volume they had heard it when walking by and just thought they should complain!Some people are just damn strange!

Unfortunately my heating is Trauma hot air and this soon depletes the battery bank when running. When not on hook up could I rely on my solar panel to recharging the bank in UK, absolutely not. I could run engine for hours in the hope that the alternator would, but that is not the case so have fitted a B2B charger for far more efficient charging, but now a 2.8 desiel engine instead of a small generator. A bit of common sense and using generator sensible can easily be done without upsetting the natives . We do have a lot of technology now but cannot control the sun.

Guest JudgeMental
headphones? most of us like to getaway to enjoy the peace and quiet that camping can offer...Totally except considerate use when full timing without hook up reasonable

capcloser - 2013-10-06 12:58 PM

Cos we full time i did look at efoys but damn they are expensive,any on here got one?

A couple of guys on facts have them, and swear by them, fantastic as long as you can afford the price to buy and run.

Ian

Guest 1footinthegrave
capcloser - 2013-10-06 11:42 AM

I am ashamed to admit that i have had 2 complaints about my music,once at a show when a guy in the next motorhome came over and said he was moving cos of my music,i apologised and offered to turn it down,he said the volume isnt a problem you have terrible taste in music! The second time was on a campsite and we had friends over for a bbq,the site owner kept walking up and down near our unit then went away,later on he told us that somebody had complained to the office.He spoke to them and they said it wasnt the volume they had heard it when walking by and just thought they should complain!Some people are just damn strange!

My guess is most people would think it damn strange to live full time in a van, especially if you are somehow managing that in motor home / weather friendly UK. ;-) but at least you have some justification for using a generator, but someone at a show for a couple of days, mmmmm

Some do think it strange and some say i wish i could do that and i say you can but winter is very different,muddy everything on our winter park up,the hassle of buying petrol and starting genny every night so we dont bother,just bought a 500 watt wind genny for this winter so should have plenty of power

Guest JudgeMental
I think fulltiming a fascinating subject..I could do it easy.. not in a panel van mind! if there was a good informative book on the subject I wold happily buy it.... must be real grim in depth of winter in UK though..but Spain would surely be a better location then...

Archived