stolen generator - Lincoln show

foxy

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest 1footinthegrave
JudgeMental - 2013-10-06 9:33 PM

I think fulltiming a fascinating subject..I could do it easy.. not in a panel van mind! if there was a good informative book on the subject I wold happily buy it.... must be real grim in depth of winter in UK though..but Spain would surely be a better location then...

Here's a couple of tips to get you started, first get yourself a beat up old van ( you'll have saved up for that out of your benefits money and cash in hand work, something you could put a wood burner in, you can fabricate one easiest out of an old Calor bottle,then get a friend to cooperate by using their address and a field to Park up in, put your heads together, he can charge you rent which housing benefit will pay, then get the benefits rolling in, a bad back is probably worth around £60 extra, then get into the black economy, loads of opportunities there, boot sale selling for example, or if you're a bit handy like a car mechanic or anything that pays cash in hand. They used to call them new age travellers, I called them scrounging bastards, I'm not sure what they call them now,unless it's benefit cheats, perhaps capcloser knows and has some more tips.

JudgeMental - 2013-10-06 9:33 PM

I think fulltiming a fascinating subject..I could do it easy.. not in a panel van mind! if there was a good informative book on the subject I wold happily buy it.... must be real grim in depth of winter in UK though..but Spain would surely be a better location then...

Have to agree, I can see the attraction of spending for or five months in the UK during the summer, visiting all the sights and landmarks (along with seeing your friends and relatives if we must, lol) but as Autumn arrives it makes it far more difficult to live without the sun, for lots of reasons.

It would be especially difficult to run electrical appliances without the benefit od solar power or the touring life of moving on regularly and charging your batteries that way.

To stay in a muddy field for months relying on a generator (and having to fuel it) is not my cup of tea.

OH would love to move towards full timing as she loves being away in the van (we are away more than 30 weeks a year now) but we would have to move with the weather and Spain (or possibly Scicily/Greece) might be best as the nights draw in over Blighty.

We will eventually sell our house and down size to a 'condo' type property with virtually no maintenance and is secure, returning when we feel like it to enjoy the best of the UK weather.

BUT........cold weather, wood burner, no leccy, no moving about, no thanks.

JudgeMental - 2013-10-06 9:33 PMI think fulltiming a fascinating subject..I could do it easy.. not in a panel van mind! if there was a good informative book on the subject I wold happily buy it.... must be real grim in depth of winter in UK though..but Spain would surely be a better location then...
A couple of months ago a lady came on an aire near us at Thaon les Voges in a A class Hymer and stated she had been full timing for 16 years 6 of which she had been on her own since her husband had died . She did not own any property , but had family and friends scattered throughout Europe and the Uk to which she could visit and park on or near their homes doing a lot of charity fundraising . A lovely lady living the dream. 

My mate doesnt charge for his field and me and my partner work full time in a factory on night shift this week,because of our shift pattern we get a long wkend every 3 weeks plus 4 wks hols and a 2 wk xmas shutdown,weather permitting we get away,or move location frequently.Oh and we are a gay couple lived together 25yrs this year if you want more to feed your stereotype prejudices 1foot

Capcloser...try to ignore 1foot' (...although if you really want to get under his skin, tell him you're also a follower of the Islamic faith ;-) )..

You certainly don't have to explain or justify anything to anyone on here(..let alone some daft old duffer,who spits out that sort of bile...)

It sounds like you've got things pretty well sorted mate... ;-)

Off Topic this bit: I do always find it odd, that when someone of "working age", for what ever reason, chooses to live full time in a van, they're immediately thought of as odd,as a "scrounger" or some sort of subversive "enemy within" ...:-S

..however when someone who has been fortunate enough to be able to retire early or who has been able to put together a "property portfolio"(..which is probably partially funded/propped up by benefit claimants .."scroungers" eh! *-) ),then it's greeted with "Oh..they're living the dream.." *-)

OK so i understand the term full timing a little better now, thanks. This is more having a van rather than a property tho must be difficult with work if you want to go touring?

As most posters above, the full timers I have come across don't have work commitments (for whatever reason) and so are free to move around, not tied by a property in one location, hence my comments about spending the winters in Spain rather than your mates field, albeit a free field.

Good luck with the lifestyle.

Guest 1footinthegrave
capcloser - 2013-10-07 9:11 AM

My mate doesnt charge for his field and me and my partner work full time in a factory on night shift this week,because of our shift pattern we get a long wkend every 3 weeks plus 4 wks hols and a 2 wk xmas shutdown,weather permitting we get away,or move location frequently.Oh and we are a gay couple lived together 25yrs this year if you want more to feed your stereotype prejudices 1foot

Why am I surprised at your reaction, my point was a general one based on first hand knowledge of someone living exactly as I described, you could be a lottery winner for all I know with an American RV with double slideouts, as for stereotypes what the hell has being homosexual or lesbian got to do with anything

P.S. Keep an eye on your payload, especially if your wood burner is a cast iron one.

capcloser - 2013-10-07 9:11 AM

Just wondering about the 'move location frequently' comment. Does this mean you are able to mix your working life with touring for certain parts of the year?

I ask as we have two friends who sometimes tour with us but still have part time jobs and, tho getting away for longer periods is desirable, the need to generate income is a necessity. How do you manage?

Guest pelmetman

Cant say I'd want to fulltime if still working.... as I can't see the point? :-S...............

We intend to long term just as soon as the bricks and mortar are sold........and then buy a buy to let..............so we can scrounge off the scroungers :D .........

Fortunately I now have a pensioner I can scrounge off to :->................

pelmetman - 2013-10-07 10:51 AM

Cant say I'd want to fulltime if still working.... as I can't see the point? :-S........

Well, I dare if you already OWN a house outright or have mortgage repayments that are negligible compared to todays' going rate, then there probably isn't much "point"..

If on the other hand, it's a means of getting an affordable roof over your head, that is, by the sounds of it in "capcloser's" case,in a pleasant location, then I can certainly see the point.. ;-)

As our landlord/landowner and neighbour is in the process of selling up all his land for development(..which'll include flattening "our" cottage, his farmhouse and his 2 son's barn conversions),we may be looking at something along those lines.... :-S

...especially when faced with the prospect of starting from scratch with 750-1000 quid a month mortgage repayments!? 8-)

Guest 1footinthegrave

If you read his reply to me, he and his homosexual mate have been living like it for 25 years, and both holding down full time Jobs, my guess is they have a state of the art RV, that just happens to have had the back windows bashed out for the wood burning stoves flue that they have installed.

Oh and I'm coming round to that Muslim idea, apparently you can marry and have sex with a girl as soon as she reaches puberty, I had to settle for a stale 19 year old. >:-)

The reason we choose to live this way is a combination of factors,main one being our combined pay wouldnt get us a decent mortgage,and after a few years we realised we really do like how we live,we have a small network of places to stay reasonable distance from work,,also having done it for so long we dont notice any difficultys cos we are used to them.Also if you dont like yer neighbours you can move lol.Also this enables us to make the best use of relatively low pay.To be honest if i didnt have to work its like being on holiday all the time,maybe we are not quite living the dream,but we are nearly there,and life so far has been quite an adventure.I have started a fulltime thread on chatterbox,feel free to comment

Guest 1footinthegrave
I'm sure people on here will be fascinated, now get to bed, don't forget your on nights this week, oh and ask for a pay rise, or better still a pitch around the back of the factory, that will save all that moving around to your different locations. ;-)

Guest pelmetman
pepe63 - 2013-10-07 11:11 AM

Cant say I'd want to fulltime if still working.... as I can't see the point? :-S........

Well, I dare if you already OWN a house outright or have mortgage repayments that are negligible compared to todays' going rate, then there probably isn't much "point"..

If on the other hand, it's a means of getting an affordable roof over your head, that is, by the sounds of it in "capcloser's" case,in a pleasant location, then I can certainly see the point.. ;-)

As our landlord/landowner and neighbour is in the process of selling up all his land for development(..which'll include flattening "our" cottage, his farmhouse and his 2 son's barn conversions),we may be looking at something along those lines.... :-S

...especially when faced with the prospect of starting from scratch with 750-1000 quid a month mortgage repayments!? 8-)

You must live in a posh area Pepe ;-)...................£750 a month around here will get you a big detached house with land.............you'd be spoilt for choice with just £450........which when compared to the cost of staying fulltime on campsites?..............there's not a lot in it cost wise I would think ;-)

We live fulltime in our RV, cost £95 per week including leccy, mains water and grey drain. That's £380 a month. Only extra is broadband via my Mifi at £17 per month. Add fulltime insurance at £1800 a year, Mot and service at say £200. So about £7000 a year. Its not for everybody but its worked for us over the last two years; however we will be moving back in to bricks before winter.

Ian

capcloser - 2013-10-07 12:06 PM

To be honest if i didnt have to work its like being on holiday all the time,........

Ah, yes. That age old conundrum of having to make ends meet.

I'm sure loads of guys on here would be living the dream 'if only they didn't have to work'.

pepe63 - 2013-10-07 11:11 AM

We are fortunate enough (wise enough) to have paid off our mortgage prior to my retirement so I didn't have to spend some of my lump sum freeing us from debt, which was the only way it could have been financially viable.

So, I don't work, have a mortgage-free home, would I full time.......?

Not at the moment as my parents are elderly and my dad need support in all the work he does for mum.

Would we in the future, yes I reckon we might 'virtually' full time, in that we could downsize and release some capital yet still have a small base here in the UK. Even full timing, we would still spend some of the summer here in the UK.

olley - 2013-10-07 1:27 PM

We live fulltime in our RV, cost £95 per week including leccy, mains water and grey drain. That's £380 a month. Only extra is broadband via my Mifi at £17 per month. Add fulltime insurance at £1800 a year, Mot and service at say £200. So about £7000 a year. Its not for everybody but its worked for us over the last two years; however we will be moving back in to bricks before winter.

Ian

Ian, good on ya!

We are away around 36 weeks a year, in the UK and mainland Europe including two extended trips abroad each year.

My budget is around £3k to include camp sites, aires, gas, fuel and we have been just around budget for the past 3 years.

This works out at £83 per week.

Ok, this wouldn't include any mobile broadband or phone, servicing or MOT, or insurance as these come from other budgets......but you get the idea.

We take our 'housekeeping' budget with us as we would be spending this if we were at home.

We don't spend money on electric, gas or water with the big power companies when away so that keeps all these figures lower than most. Don't use fuel in my car either, etc, etc.

Spending 'longish' periods in the van need not cost the earth. When we are at home, we are always looking for something to do.......that 'something' usually costs money, so being away saves us cash, lol!

bolero boy - 2013-10-07 2:26 PM

We are fortunate enough (wise enough) to have paid off our mortgage prior to my retirement so I didn't have to spend some of my lump sum freeing us from debt....

Well, that was my "plan"(..as the mortgage on my family home, would've been paid off several years ago).

Unfortunately..I have an ex-wife who had other ideas.... :-S

;-)

Guest 1footinthegrave
I have a neighbour just three doors away, he's been full timing for at least 20 years, down on the beach most sunny days with his metal detector, walks around ( despite his bad back that has unfortunately left him unable to work) without a care in the world, keeps his veg plot tidy on his allotment, only difference is he lives in a privately rented house, not a van.

bolero boy - 2013-10-07 2:36 PM

olley - 2013-10-07 1:27 PM

Ianh

Ian, good on ya!

We are away around 36 weeks a year, in the UK and mainland Europe including two extended trips abroad each year.

My budget is around £3k to include camp sites, aires, gas, fuel and we have been just around budget for the past 3 years.

This works out at £83 per week.

Ok, this wouldn't include any mobile broadband or phone, servicing or MOT, or insurance as these come from other budgets......but you get the idea.

We take our 'housekeeping' budget with us as we would be spending this if we were at home.

We don't spend money on electric, gas or water with the big power companies when away so that keeps all these figures lower than most. Don't use fuel in my car either, etc, etc.

Spending 'longish' periods in the van need not cost the earth. When we are at home, we are always looking for something to do.......that 'something' usually costs money, so being away saves us cash, lol!

I am impressed at £83/week including sites. Can I assume you use a lot of Aires/wild camp? At moment I am Benidorm at €15 a night for 30days plus. There is a ACSI site up the road at €16 however they are very, very residential, possibly get a reduction for long term but ???

Hamish, yes we do use a few aires but don't really wild camp. We long termed in Spain for many weeks at a really good rate I seem to remember. We also use ACSI as we generally go out of season.

When in the UK, we like CL/CS type sites and these are relatively inexpensive.

Also, we have been using Haven sites (wait.......don't laugh) for their location. They are in cahoots with one of the 2 Clubs and now have touring pitches at each of their sites. Going out of season or midweek costs peanuts (£6-10 per night) and you can even get more off if you qualify for their loyalty scheme. We don't want or use the many facilities on offer, just the location.

On principle, we wouldn't pay the crazy Club prices although we are members of both for access to the CL networks.

I am getting close to reaching the budget for this year (about £300 left I think) but we don't have too much planned for the remainder of the year due to other family stuff! This wont stop us getting out when we can tho.

We are not rich, tho what (little?) we have is ours, lol, so we don't need to keep buying stuff to keep us amused. I definitely see the number of weeks touring rising to 40 or so a year, with probably 10 being in the UK mainly during the summer.

A smaller house with less maintenance will free up enough funds to allow us to continue for a bit yet.

Good touring!

Archived