DVLA - Closure of local offices

dicksob

We recently changed our IH J500m for a new IH TIO RL, yes back to a van but that's another story!,and as part of that got IH to transfer our private reg plate. Because of the centralisation to Swansea that involved sending all documentation there. So when we picked up the van we had no road tax disc and no V5, we did have proof of registration and copy of all paperwork. Despite their turnaround targets it took them over 30 days to issue the documents. As we were pre booked on a ferry to Netherlands we took the risk and went without the documents, fortunately not stopped by the authorities! So if you are changing vans and plates, beware!!

Also just up-plated the van to 4000kg, big spec on both base and conversion and 2 electric bikes on tow bar, SV Tech documentation good and process painless which was a pleasant surprise, so no weight worries!

Bill

Guest JudgeMental

These cost cutting closures, along with libraries, day centres, care centres, etc...etc... even public toilets?part of the great downsizing of the UK due to the great excuse that the credit crunch provided...

all done by post these days, even importing a vehicle with a bit more cost to boot.....Just make sure when you buy something you have all the necessary and correct paperwork in place if working to a time scale

Hi We bought our motorhome using a px vehicle on private plate, delivered px vehicle to trader, took private plate off, and went straight down to Bournemouth to put plate on retention. Retention certificate issued straight away, and new v5 for px vehicle arrived from Swansea 3 days later. Dealer collected v5 that evening.

1 week to get v5 for motorhome from Swansea, straight down to Bournemouth with v5, retention certificate, insurance and mot certificates, and paperwork issued over the counter with confirmation that private plate can be fitted, 4 days later received updated v5 from Swansea . Quick phone call to insurance company to update insurance certificate, 3 days later received new certificate. Job done, no hassle.

Now they are closing Bournemouth office in a couple of weeks time.. !!!!.

Next time wont be so quick !!!.

Tonyg3nwl.

Tony, when I was in the local office here in Edinburgh upgrading the weight, there was a local car sales rep in moaning about the time it was going to take to do anything when it all had to be done through Swansea by post. Hadn't really thought of the grief for them, as Judge says cost cutting, hardly great customer service!

Bill

Makes me wonder what the Insurance Companies think ?

I have just put a car on a private plate and ,as above, taken nearly a month to get the paperwork back.

So for 30 days what is my registration number ?

when does the new number become valid ?

and what do you say to Mr Plod when his NPR unit tells him the car dos not exist or is uninsured (maybe) ?

Then takes a week or so for your insurance company to catch up with new number and then the Mid system to catch up. (AskMid is the way of checking if your vehicle is on the NPR system)

Rgds

Agree with Eddies point about "cost cutting". Yet we have millions on the dole with zero prospect of employment simply because employers don't want to pay for 'shop floor' workers.

A few years back I bought a van which when I got the V5 under vehicle details it was listed as "Disabled" so I contacted the DVLA at Swansea to find out what it was all about. Phoning DVLA itself proved a marathon task just to get through to a human being! The previous owner had registered it as a Disabled driver and the V5 couldn't be changed via post....I had to go in person to my nearest DVLA office, a round trip of 70 miles.

When I got to the office I was amazed to see the counter staff sitting behind barred windows of reinforced glass and asked them why. She told me they often got violent and abusive customers in and the Police were always being called out.

I can well understand why too. I waited over two hours before being attended to.

Tony, when I phoned DVLA to explain that I was going abroad in the vehicle but had no tax or v5 as they hadn't processed them their only advice was don't go! They said there was police leeway of 14 days if you had proof of submitting documents ( don't know if true?) and wouldn't arrange to issue through our local office even though still open, not helpful! In the end we decided just to go and keep our fingers crossed.

We also had to wait for the v5 before we could up-plate the weight, luckily through local office so I have a tax disc, probably have to wait another 30 days for my v5.

Bill

Archived