Aire at Gravelines

robertandjean

Guest JudgeMental
DOGS? ah ha! Peter, add dogs (badly brought up that is) to your list! as well as anyone over 61 (far to miserable) bigots, racists, little englanders and Kippers (Ukip)

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest pelmetman
Muswell - 2013-10-05 10:55 AM

I think that rat statistic, if not completely made up, was generated using the whole area of the UK, the whole human population, the whole rat population then coming up with an average. You don't see too many in the Welsh mountains. No jokes please.

The rats have seen what they do to the sheep 8-)................

Sorry couldn't resist :D

Guest 1footinthegrave
JudgeMental - 2013-10-05 11:34 AM

DOGS? ah ha! Peter, add dogs (badly brought up that is) to your list! as well as anyone over 61 (far to miserable) bigots, racists, little englanders and Kippers (Ukip)

Thought you were on your way to Spain, or have you blown up your van messing with your gas. :-S I'm surprised you left it to the last minute to check everything out. :D

1footinthegrave - 2013-10-05 10:21 AM

I'm bemused by your statement "proud not to have paid" do you conduct market research there.

A few days ago we were at St Jean De Luz, to a man they were ALL French registered vans, what they had done with the two FREE electric points had to be seen to be believed, so shocked by what we saw I've taken a picture that I will post on the forum when we are back in the UK the end of the month, the Aire is free, and yet they were all clearly there for one reason, free electric as well. We endured one night there, clearly the French were happy to ignore the constant train and road noise for a freebie to watch their TVs. Daisy chaining around a dozen vans to two free points.

Not scientific research but over the years a good number told us how silly, or similar, we were to pay when they never did. Regarding St Jean De Luz, then we stayed one night this Spring and reckon it must be if not the worst then certainly one of the worst in France. Spaces are really tight to get in to, Jean had to do a 25 point turn, well seemed like that, noise from TGV on one side and main road on other made sleep almost impossible. Shame as town is really nice but one to avoid we think. In fact if you read comments from many French vanners on forums then you will see that lots of them think in the same way. Yes the electric was in multiple use also when we were there, but did not join in as at far end and general ambiance meant would never be there for more than one night.

Guest 1footinthegrave
I try to go through life doing the right thing, sadly many others do not, irrespective of their country of origin, arseholes are arseholes, and there's plenty of them.

1footinthegrave - 2013-10-05 11:07 AM

Let's be quite clear, the average Frenchman has no qualms at all taking a pee with no attempt to disguise what he is doing, .......

Yeah but lumps are lumps ..... and clearly human, not canine since dogs don't wipe their bums with tissue..... 8-)

Guest JudgeMental
1footinthegrave - 2013-10-05 11:48 AM

Thought you were on your way to Spain, or have you blown up your van messing with your gas. :-S I'm surprised you left it to the last minute to check everything out. :D

Crack of dawn monday...you are such a grumble!lol..sh*t happens. I only bought the honeywell gas meter recently, which identified a small leak on rear bottle, tried to inch it and it snapped...sods law. installation had wrong fittings from day one anyway... I can manage in france/italy on one bottle easy but Spain LPG stations few and far between..best to have both operational

mind you temps have dropped from 29 to 25, plus a bit of cloud and rain..still better then here mind, and I need to top up the tan!..Syds heading down tomorrow to organise my welcome party and get the kettle on :D

Guest 1footinthegrave
JudgeMental - 2013-10-05 1:56 PM

1footinthegrave - 2013-10-05 11:48 AM

Crack of dawn monday...you are such a grumble!lol..sh*t happens. I only bought the honeywell gas meter recently, which identified a small leak on rear bottle, tried to inch it and it snapped...sods law. installation had wrong fittings from day one anyway... I can manage in france/italy on one bottle easy but Spain LPG stations few and far between..best to have both operational

mind you temps have dropped from 29 to 25, plus a bit of cloud and rain..still better then here mind, and I need to top up the tan!..Syds heading down tomorrow to organise my welcome party and get the kettle on :D

Your right, s**t happens, asked my tyre fitters to take a look at my front pads before we left when they put me a new pair of front tyres on, fine they said. €241 euros later at Liborne they are. A puncture in Basque country was a barrel of laughs, now the fridge has stopped working on 12 volt when running and relay and fuse are fine and the tip up basin has developed a crack despite being changed with a brand new one three years ago for the same reason, ho hum

Crap here today in Bordeaux neck of the woods, but staying at the ex bosses holiday home so not so bad.

Afternoon folks,

We too have passed the aire at St john de luz when coming back from spain an decided it was in very poor location. I can assure you that the rats were there in late june when we were there at Gravelines .

norm

Guest 1footinthegrave

For anyone finding themselves around or enroute passing St Jean De Luz go back up the road to the Spanish border up in the mountains to D'Ibardin, you'll be rewarded with peace and quiet at the Aire , stunning views, and some extremely good prices at the bizarrely sited shops on the top of the mountains on the Spanish side of the road, it is only about 10 miles from St Jean. Amongst others we have 5 litres of beautiful Port for 11 Euros and some nice Brandy at 8 Euros a bottle.

Guest pelmetman
1footinthegrave - 2013-10-05 5:48 PM

For anyone finding themselves around or enroute passing St Jean De Luz go back up the road to the Spanish border up in the mountains to D'Ibardin, you'll be rewarded with peace and quiet at the Aire , stunning views, and some extremely good prices at the bizarrely sited shops on the top of the mountains on the Spanish side of the road, it is only about 10 miles from St Jean. Amongst others we have 5 litres of beautiful Port for 11 Euros and some nice Brandy at 8 Euros a bottle.

Peter???????? :-S............................there are more depths to this forum that I've yet to plumb after all these years 8-).............

I have this terrible image of you as Judges Toyboy >:-)

Guest 1footinthegrave
It's a mystery why he keeps calling me Peter, perhaps he's been at my Port and Brandy. :D or the Marijuana seeds sold quite openly and legally up there.

Guest pelmetman
1footinthegrave - 2013-10-05 7:05 PM

It's a mystery why he keeps calling me Peter, perhaps he's been at my Port and Brandy. :D or the Marijuana seeds sold quite openly and legally up there.

You mean your not his Toyboy?? :-S..................

Dam......I'll have to rewrite my book again *-)....................and it was just getting interesting >:-)

the best/worst dodge i saw was at Luecate last year. you have to enter the code on your ticket to raise the barrier, if your not up to date the barrier won,t raise.2 french m,homes, no1 enters the code, signals his mate, they both floor it nose to tail out before the barrier came down. a bogoff, it was so well rehearsd that it must be aregular trick.

I did use Gravelines when it was free, I would be happy to pay as well, but definately not happy to stick my card in a machine which is unsupervised and just so easy for a criminal to 'modify' in the middle of the night when not many people around. I won't take the risk, I go a few miles further on into Belgium and stay at Nieuwport where I can pay by cash.

1footinthegrave - 2013-10-05 7:05 PM

Mike, I think Peter had a list of things that Eddie was averse to, in recent posts Eddie had asked to have 'dogs' and now 'the evils of drink' put on it.

Eddies gone all Puritanical with his new diet. Hope he sticks to it in Spain.

Guest 1footinthegrave
Ah, it all becomes clear, I'm guessing Peter was at the top of Eddies list, me I like everything and everyone. :D

Losos - 2013-10-07 12:51 PMI did use Gravelines when it was free, I would be happy to pay as well, but definately not happy to stick my card in a machine which is unsupervised and just so easy for a criminal to 'modify' in the middle of the night when not many people around. I won't take the risk, I go a few miles further on into Belgium and stay at Nieuwport where I can pay by cash.

Can see where you are coming from Losos, we are suppose taking some risk using this, and other card machines on other aires, but we like using these places so will carry on. However considered Nieuwport but wondered if it might be a long way out from the town. If it is in reasonable walking distance then might well use later this year as, particularly in colder, darker weather like Aires with hook-ups so any info would be great as would any on aire not far from there on coast at Lomardsijde, near Westende.

I presume everyone knows that you can stay the night free of charge at the DFDS ferry terminal car park while waiting for a ferry? It's quiet enough, and there are toilets in the building if you need them. We've overnighted there for the past three years and it has been OK, if lacking in scenic charms (and it always rains in our experience!).

robertandjean - 2013-10-07 7:28 PM
Losos - 2013-10-07 12:51 PMI did use Gravelines when it was free, I would be happy to pay as well, but definately not happy to stick my card in a machine which is unsupervised and just so easy for a criminal to 'modify' in the middle of the night when not many people around. I won't take the risk, I go a few miles further on into Belgium and stay at Nieuwport where I can pay by cash.

Can see where you are coming from Losos, we are suppose taking some risk using this, and other card machines on other aires, but we like using these places so will carry on. However considered Nieuwport but wondered if it might be a long way out from the town. If it is in reasonable walking distance then might well use later this year as, particularly in colder, darker weather like Aires with hook-ups so any info would be great as would any on aire not far from there on coast at Lomardsijde, near Westende.
if it,s a credit card you can get your money back if you gert scammed, no probs, it happened to my wife 10yrs ago, in england. so its not new, got all the money back,i aways pay with credit card on aires with barrier, also we get a better exchangr rate than cash

sambukashot - 2013-10-05 11:38 AM

If you don't like paying at gravelines use the free Aire just 5 minutes drive away at Grande fort Philippe

I dont mind paying and have stopped at gravelines regularly but found the aire at grand forte phillip where i stopped a few weeks a go far better and the pub and chip van were good also (lol) (lol)

Archived