FIAT DUCATO 2000 Model Stuck rear brake

Guest John Steggles

Guest John Steggles
HELP My Hobby 650 (Fiat Ducato) has been parked up over the winter period and I now find that I cannot move the van as the rear offside brake has seized on. The van is parked in a neighbours back garden, on grass with softish soil underneath. Have tried to jolt the brake free alternatively putting the van in 1st then reverse but the front wheels are just digging in. Has anyone any "tricks" to unseize this brake??? Thanks in anticipation.

Guest Clive
After the horse has bolted BUT next time leave it in low gear, chock the wheels but leave the parking brake released when its laid up! Copper hide mallet is preferable to lump hammer.

If you can tow it why not jack up the offending wheel and place a greasy board or sheel of metal under it then once on solid ground you should be able to free it off by rocking backwards and forwards. Once free would be a good idea to gently apply the handbrake whist on the move to clean up the drum. Then as Clive says if you are going to leave the vehicle parked up leave it in first or reverse and chock the wheels to avoid this happening again, but be careful when starting it again to depress the clutch so as not to lurch unexpectedly backwards or forwards> Pat

Guest David Powell
I assume you have completely slackened off the brake adjustment via the back plate, if not, that often will let the shoes off with a good whack on the edge of the back plate at three o'clock & nine o'clock with a hide face hammer. With the hand bake off and the adjuster off, both ends off the shoes should be free, so it will only be the rust sticking them to the drum. Not forgetting to re-adjust the brakes! If this does not work proceed to step two:- go through the proceedure of removing the drums which I won't bore you with now. Good luck, next winter remember what Clive said. If anyone has come up with the answer while I have been typing this, sorry to have been overcome by the exuberance of my verbosity. I can only type very slowly.

Guest john steggles
Thanks everyone for your helpful replies. I shall attempt one or all the suggested methods when I have some time available. A good job I am not using the van over the Easter holiday .

• 3 weeks later...
Guest ted lawton
If you can jack it up and remove the wheel a couple of kettles of boiling water will expand the drum and a couple of sharp taps with a copper mallet should do the trick. I have a 2004 bessacar and suffer with the same problem, good luck

Archived