Strange Bailey water leak video

Hope2421

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That's awful. I hope the guy has taken it back as not fit for purpose. Looks like Judge Mental is right when he say's "don't buy a british built motorhome" I agree with him by the way.

It has just not been put together properly with the joint not sealed and closed. A typical example of poor workmanship and no supervision or quality control. Unfortunately I have a poor WiFi with utube not the best so was unable to understand what was said. I would return it for a full refund as you will have no idea where the water has gone. It will eventually show up with delaminating floors and walls. I hope he gets proper advice and is not fobbed off.

Guest JudgeMental
peter - 2013-10-06 8:32 PM

That's awful. I hope the guy has taken it back as not fit for purpose. Looks like Judge Mental is right when he say's "don't buy a british built motorhome" I agree with him by the way.

I am away first thing for Espana..Peter please can you hold the fort and promise to behave...maybe worth recognising the fact that I'm always right..they all leak at some time or the other....Just some more than others!:D

Edit: Jeez! just watched vid....what a joke!

That is absolutely disgusting , must be a thing with bailey , many years ago i had a bailey caravan which leaked from the roof and i was told more or less the same story by bailey , eventually it was sorted by them after much complaining , getting back to the buisness of british motorhomes , ive come across problems with foreign vans , we all have over the years , myself ive owned about 8 vans over the years [ albeit all new ] and only had silly little problems , the last 4 have been autotrails , apache , dakota , chieftain and now savannah , these have been especially quality vans and not one problem with any of them , lucky?? i dont think so . They are well built , and just as good as their foreign counterparts .

The owner did not know where the water was leaking into the roof, he only thought it was coming in through the front corners.

My theory would be that it was actually leaking into the roof at another point, eg rooflight, aerial, or flue and then tracking across until it can find a way out which happens to be to the overcab area where it then collects.

I would start looking very carefully at the sealing of any aperture through the roof.

Keith.

I think that they (Bailey) are going too fast and getting sloppy. What was it, 1000 of the Approaches sold in a couple of years and now 7 new models out and most dealers have stock already.

If you watch their construction videos on Youtube the guy with the sealant gun is applying it at near running pace..

I came close to buying a new 760 recently because I like the concept i.e. Alko, composite construction etc.

When I gave it a thorough inspection I found that they had completely forgotten to seal the wheel arch mouldings (the inner black ABS plastic ones) into the van floor. The arches were not a very good fit and were 10mm down proud of the underfloor in places, held in only with staples from a gun and there was no sealant at all. None. You could get your finger in where the road spray was going to go.

There's a new Autograph at the dealers now. On of the roof front corner cappings has big voids in the sealant. Sure it'll probably be picked up on PDI (yeah, right) but it shouldn't leave the factory in that state.

Agree with Keith, don't see water from the over cab area doing anything but running off at speed, pausing to dive in through the little corner indicated, no not in that volume.

I think it would come in through a lower point on the roof where it collects and then works its way in......OR....as was mentioned above, could be a water tank leak/split, the vigorous rocking back and forwards could be causing the tank to overflow from a break.

Just to be sure, i would completely drain down and then carry out the same test following the next rainstorm......and then give Baily HELL.

Keithl - 2013-10-06 10:20 PM

My theory would be that it was actually leaking into the roof at another point, eg rooflight, aerial, or flue and then tracking across until it can find a way out which happens to be to the overcab area where it then collects.

I would start looking very carefully at the sealing of any aperture through the roof.

Keith.

That's possible Keith but the Bailey panels should be really pretty impervious to water unless there has been a major bonding failure combined with the leak that you suggest.

My guess would be that water is entering the void between roof and wall panels left by the Alutec method. This water would then be free to run forward all along this void and exit down the front of the wall at the wall-to-cab joint.

That video wants to be shown to the public at the NEC show. All manufacturers should take note, the media can be very positive in situations like this and can be very damaging for their image. I hope the owner gets his motorhome replaced as it's obviously far from fit for purpose. There's always a risk where sealant and screws are involved, more the reason to consider a van conversion with a little less space or get a Merc 609 converted.

Keithl - 2013-10-06 10:20 PMThe owner did not know where the water was leaking into the roof, he only thought it was coming in through the front corners.My theory would be that it was actually leaking into the roof at another point, eg rooflight, aerial, or flue and then tracking across until it can find a way out which happens to be to the overcab area where it then collects.I would start looking very carefully at the sealing of any aperture through the roof.Keith.

I would be looking to shove it up 'Baileys' place where the sun don't shine (as they say).  That is disgraceful.

I agree, Take the Video to the Bailey Stand at the NEC, stand near it and have the video on constant Replay on a laptop. Think it should be a 'Showstopper'. Whatever the cause, be it a leaky Roof, front overcab or whatever, it's not right. And if what the man says is correct, it is disgraceful that they are trying to pull the 'wool over his eyes' by saying that it's 'Normal' it quite obviously isn't.

Interested to hear of the outcome. Ray

It would be interesting to know where the "Bailey said" bit actually comes from...?..

Was it the dealer, just passing the buck and fobbing him off?...

or was it someone quite "clueless" at Baileys?..perhaps getting the wrong end of the stick of what the fault was?(..possibly responding to a second/third-hand phone message?).....

Although,I'd like to think that the chap in that video had actually spoken in person,with someone quite high up, from both the dealership AND Bailey....

We had the same thing happen with our 2006 Autosleeper Nuevo. On one occasion, the water came throught the overcab roof lining and cascaded over me and dashboard controls, as well as gushing down the side channels as on the video. The van was 6 months old by then, and returned to the factory for fixing. We reluctantly accepted it back, although would rather have had a refund. There were a catalogue of problems over the next year or so and eventually we chaned it for an Autotrail, which has been nearly trouble free.

Neil B

rolandrat - 2013-10-07 12:28 PM

I think that if the owner had received some positive support from the supplying dealer and in turn the manufacturer he wouldn't have had to go so far as to make a video of his predicament. It should produce some response one way or another.

i agree, any product will sometimes have faults, it,s how the dealer/manufactuer responds to the problem that makes the problem better or worse.

Archived