FIAMMA A20 Expansion tank - leaking

sshortcircuit

After the last two trips to France I found the above leaking and so I replaced. Now on my third unit and it is doing the same. Spoke to another Kontiki owner who had the same problem. He found that for some reason they leak when mounted horizontal ????? I have it mounted at about 45° now as a temporary measure and it has stopped leaking. Instructions give no indication as to how it should be mounted.

Anybody had a similar experience?

tonyishuk - 2013-10-08 6:36 PM

Here ??

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Adding-water-expansion-tank/14801/

Rgds[/quote

Thanks for the link. Derick confirms it should be vertical which is not how Swift have fitted it admittedly its under the floor and there is no room for vertical mounting but then I do not think Swift would have thought of that and would not care. Why it leaks when horizontal I have no idea but another job when I get home to manufacture a suitable bracket.

What I actually said in the 2009 forum thread was "All the expansion tanks I know of seem to require fitting in an upright position".

I'm not 100% certain that Fiamma's A20 must be mounted vertically as I can't find any installation instructions on line (and, in any case, you say that the instructions provided with an A20 are unhelpful in this respect). Logically, based on how these things function, one might expect an A20 to need to be vertical (or near vertical) to work properly, and Fiamma Aqua-8 water pump drawings show it mounted vertically.

I'd want to mount an A20 vertically if I were installing one with no instructions to guide me and I'd definitely not want to mount one horizontally. That your several horizontally-mounted A20s (and that of another Kon-Tiki owner) have leaked strongly suggests that mounting the unit horizontally is wrong. As you say, it's odd that the thing leaks when horizontal (and stops leaking when moved more upright) but there you go!!

I notice that replacement diaphragms are available for A20s but, as yours doesn't leak when more upright, it doesn't sound like there's a diaphragm-related problem.

Archived