Welcome to the liveliest motorhome forum on the Web.

saruman

Huh!! What is this all about!! The forum you mention appart from being paid up members only, has some of the most playground like squabbles and drivel I have ever seen on a forum (now hidden away from any guest visitors of course in case it puts them off) if that is what you call lively and what you want, well so be it I'll stick to every other forum I belong to thanks. Perhaps that forum appeals to tanker drivers from Leicester but not to me I'm afraid!!! :-( :-( :-(

[QUOTE]Basil - 2006-08-18 10:02 PM Huh!! What is this all about!! The forum you mention appart from being paid up members only, has some of the most playground like squabbles and drivel I have ever seen on a forum (now hidden away from any guest visitors of course in case it puts them off) if that is what you call lively and what you want, well so be it I'll stick to every other forum I belong to thanks. Perhaps that forum appeals to tanker drivers from Leicester but not to me I'm afraid!!! :-( :-( :-([/QUOTE] total bunk what my job got do with it *-) (lol) (lol) (lol) S

[QUOTE]saruman - 2006-08-18 10:18 PM total bunk what my job got do with it [/QUOTE] Your job may not have anything to do with it but this is no better than spam and all that you are doing is to invite similar responses on your own, rather parochial forum!

hi all are usefull forums but mhf is the best. brian!! every ones deserves a opuion even if you dont like it *-) saruman made a mistake by posting which he apolgised how many would do that (!) its up too the mods to move it if there was a off topic section. (!) jim

I tried to resist but I can't as it still grates with me. The pay forum mentioned above was built up from many peoples input of data when it was FREE and no mention was made of it ever becomming subscription. Having built up the database of this FREE data the webfuhrer levies a charge one Christmas. Because of this I will not patronise it any more. Others have actually removed their data from it but this facility I am told is now turned off. There are plenty of other FREE forums around of which this is one of the best so we remain spoilt for choice. This is the beauty of the web, there is always somewhere else to go. C. (in serious mode)

[QUOTE]Mel B - 2006-08-19 10:37 PM Do people post "come and look at the MMM forum" on the other forums then? I can't be bothered with them so don't know! I'll just stick to this forum and annoy starspirit and Geoff ... until Michele gets back that is! [/QUOTE] why not jim

I could've sworn I just read a posting telling me to stop telling porkies 'cause I posted on the MHF forum? I assume jim's edited it just as I was reading it ... I don't post on other forums, I've tried them in the dim and distant past but find this one is the best for me.

I totally agree with Mel's sentiments. I tried the other two forums that seem to be promoted on here regularly. I gave up because I object to the way they use this site to shove their sites down our throat. And as Mel says does anyone push MMM on their sites. Wish I hadn't even looked at this posting!

I,m a member of mhf but not a subscriber , i still visit the site now and again but am not allowed to post any more. I have always found it a good site and very imformative but decided not to join as the information is available on other forums.

Just a quick msg, I'm not promoting my site here nor am i going to include any urls, but to say the following:-

"Having built up the database of this FREE data the webfuhrer levies a charge one Christmas."

does grind somewhat, by free data i assume you mean the posts in the forums or campsites in the campsite database perhaps ?

Well tbh these are just a section of what MHF has on offer and i ran the site for 2 years 100% free as it grew very fast my costs in turn grew and the amount of time i had to spend doing admin on the site and adding functionality grew along with it. There does come a point where enough is enough and a hobby becomes more driven commercially by factors beyond its control like time, effort and costs. These were all factored in and it was decided to levy a very small cost to cover it. lol to compare me with Hitler is a little over the top do you not think !

Its about time that people realised that a sucessfull website costs money and takes up a lot of time, time that could be spent elsewhere earning a wage. This has to be recompensed somehow.

Yes, I do know that anyone and literally by that i mean Joe Bloggs off the street can launch a forum for free or limited costs, whether it becomes successfull or not is another thing, whether it is simply that "A Forum" with no other functions to the website is another thing.

The "Other site" you allude to is moderately successfully in the motorhome arena capturing over 12,000 members albeit some being duplicate accounts or non active members (Same as any forum / Website membership figures) and when someone has to answer 100+ emails per day, and 30-50 Private Msgs per day plus assorted other moderation and administrative tasks then it tends to annoy when people seem to assume that they are making money for old rope off the back of others information.

If anyone wants to continue this conversation then you all know who / where i can be contacted and i will fill you in with facts and figures to your hearts content about how "easy" it is to make money from a forum as everyone seems to assume that "other forum" admins are rolling in it !!!!

I sympathise.  However, there is, as so often, another point of view.  If a forum starts as a free forum, but then, for whatever reason, begins to charge for access, is it not somewhat inevitable that those who have freely contributed useful information, for the benefit of others, will feel somewhat affronted.  What has been done, in effect, is to hijack their freely given information, and then charge others for access to it.

In fact, the comments to which you have objected were originally provoked by one of "your" readers trying to give you forum a punt on this one.  Not your fault, and doubtless well intended.  Still a bloody cheek though, for which gracious apology has been made, and I think, generally accepted.

'Nuff said?

Archived