New IH van conversions - or are they coachbuilts?

david lloyd

Guest 1footinthegrave

We have an IH, 10 years old now, still not a single habitation rattle, everything works as it should, the rear GRP panel colour is exactly the same shade as the rest of the van, the snug rear wrap around lounge is a nice spot to be,and completely draught free due to the lack of doors, it goes like s**t off a shovel, can get anywhere a car can get ( almost ) I guess the x250 is in a different league again, price, well I wouldn't buy a Range Rover to do the school run, but plenty do when a Samyong or whatever it's called would do the same job. ;-)

The downside, well it's a standard panel van that I guess is designed to last around 4 years, and made of steel, and pretty crappy steel at that, buy a good second hand one' just don't crawl underneath to inspect it, what a pity these converters do not do a relatively simple thing and treat the underside rather than rely on Fiats crappy coatings.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery"

Saw posters of a Hartal door option and a rear door replacement "pod" on the Vantage stand. It looks like IH are forcing the competition to play catch up. No examples on the Vantage stand so will wait till next year to judge.

I like the idea of the Hartal but the loss of the rear doors takes away some of the versatility of a panel van.

The IH slide out is interesting but the design is a front lounge converting to a bed across the van, not for me personally.

They'll all be at it soon!!!

Vantage web site links -:

http://www.vantagemotorhomes.co.uk/hartal-lux-motorhome-door.php

http://www.vantagemotorhomes.co.uk/fixed-rear-pod.php

:D

Yes IH seemed to get a lot of good reports/ comments but everybody as their limit on what they can spend! . As for vantage I noticed they have changed their pricing structure ie previous extras? underslung gas tank , swivel seats , are now standard. As small van converters go both deserve praise for their efforts. Who is the number one van convertor UK. Comments please ?

Guest 1footinthegrave
If the bloke I met who had done his own conversion on a Sprinter was in the business it would be him, it was truly fantastic, twin single beds ? lounge at rear, every creature comfort you can imagine, and even chromed mirrors and door handles, and at around half the price of an IH, just wish I was a bit handy, I'd have a go. ;-) come to think of it, that's how Ian started I'm told.

colin - 2013-10-17 7:09 PM

bolero boy - 2013-10-17 6:45 PM

Went to the IH stand today and, although not really PVC advocates, the wife and I were impressed with the slide out model.....really good lounge (fixing the main PVC lounging issue of lack of width)

The thing is a front lounge PVC (usualy) has a big lounge, so what have they fixed?

Also can some one explain someting to me, I've had a look at the layout of the new van on the website, it quotes a bed width of 4ft 10in, and it shows it fitting the width of the slide out, but the SLD opening is only 4ft wide, this doesn't add up, or are we looking at a stepped bed and loads of infill cusions?

Colin , not sure what front lounge PVCs you have sat in but the de rigeur set up is 2 swivelled cab seats plus nasty cramped,upright half dinette.which could never be describe as big.

Both the Adria and the IH are miles better than this in their own way.

Re the slide out size, the actual slide out is replaced with a bespoke panel and door, while on the opposite side the slide out removes a panel in the side, presumably 4'10" wide, completely separate to the door.

Guest 1footinthegrave

I think you'll find at least in the 600 series no need at all for cushion shuffling, the extra length of the X250 chassis allowing for full length single beds, or a giant king size by dropping the back rest cushions down, our is identical to this layout below, but sadly not enough length on the old chassis for twin beds.

Mmmm. seems you cant submit pictures at all now, even after resizing them to the sites ludicrously small file size. :-S

ih600.jpeg.2cec60701ec58620558b3700a3b3e970.jpeg

bolero boy - 2013-10-17 8:59 PM

colin - 2013-10-17 7:09 PM

Went to the IH stand today and, although not really PVC advocates, the wife and I were impressed with the slide out model.....really good lounge (fixing the main PVC lounging issue of lack of width)

The thing is a front lounge PVC (usualy) has a big lounge, so what have they fixed?

Also can some one explain someting to me, I've had a look at the layout of the new van on the website, it quotes a bed width of 4ft 10in, and it shows it fitting the width of the slide out, but the SLD opening is only 4ft wide, this doesn't add up, or are we looking at a stepped bed and loads of infill cusions?

Colin , not sure what front lounge PVCs you have sat in but the de rigeur set up is 2 swivelled cab seats plus nasty cramped,upright half dinette.which could never be describe as big.

Both the Adria and the IH are miles better than this in their own way.

Re the slide out size, the actual slide out is replaced with a bespoke panel and door, while on the opposite side the slide out removes a panel in the side, presumably 4'10" wide, completely separate to the door.

I've seen plenty of front lounge vans, it is (almost) an exclusive British layout. All the ones I've seen have a big lounge, the big drawback (for us) is that if one person is in bed the other hasn't anywhere to go without disturbing the one in bed.

Looking again at the photo's on the website, it is now obvious that the slide out is less than 4ft and the bed is stepped out, this also explains why the layout drawing shows pillows at the 'wrong' end of bed, i.e. if you had the pillows in the slide out if would in effect be a (less than) 4ft wide bed.

p.s. if you check the IH website you will see the 630FL has the two front seats plus a 6ft+ L shaped seat, but the 630SL has the two front seats but only a 4ft- seat, on the face of it, whilst it looks much more spacious what you are getting is more carpet space and less seating.

Guest 1footinthegrave
Sounds like the design would not be for you, although our IH rear "lounge"/ bed set-up does allow one lazy git to stay in bed, the other can go and get the Baguette, or sit in the front. ;-)

Colin, what front lounge PVCs are you referring to that have large lounges? Your Globecar is typical of the genre, is it not, and there is no way this could be described as spacious. The upright half dinette and the fixed table with cramped foot space could never be a relaxing area. Yes, the cab seats, like many vans can be swivelled and are very comfy but the standard PVC lounge then has nowhere for you to rest your legs, irrespective of whether you are in the drivers or passenger seat.

Mike, my point was really only about front lounge PVCS. we would never return to making up beds at night and a rear fixed (or a type of drop down bed) is probably the only way for us to go. This design does give two distinct relaxing areas, the bed itself or the front lounge. Rear lounge models don't do it for us for many reasons: hate making a bed up, only one relaxing area, cab seats made obsolete by proximity of toilet wardrobe walls etc negating the use of the most comfortable seats in the vehicle.

IH had tried to do something a bit different and, in my view, worked very well. The bed was easy to make up just by sliding out the telescopic base and unfolding the seat, a bit like a rock n roll VW, albeit only available when the slide out was deployed. But, of course, there is that massive price tag.

For me, a real star of the show, was the 6m Pilote A600LA, hope I got that right......

This is a small version of the venerable Hymer 544 'one box' layout with truly huge front lounge (Colin, this is so far away from a PVC lounge you won't believe it), massive kitchen with British full oven and hob, truly cavernous washroom with walk in shower, double floor A class with drop down bed, price £50k, a steal.

Drawbacks, lack of external storage for things like outside chairs tables etc but surmountable I guess.

There is innovation about but can lead to mind boggling array of choice!

bolero boy - 2013-10-18 7:50 AM

Colin, what front lounge PVCs are you referring to that have large lounges? Your Globecar is typical of the genre, is it not, and there is no way this could be described as spacious.

Our Globecar has a front half dinette (like many continetal vans) not a front lounge.

colin - 2013-10-18 8:34 AM

Colin, what front lounge PVCs are you referring to that have large lounges? Your Globecar is typical of the genre, is it not, and there is no way this could be described as spacious.

Our Globecar has a front half dinette (like many continetal vans) not a front lounge.

Sorry Colin didn't mean to be pedantic. So, are you saying that your van doesn't have a lounge at all, as you have single beds at the other end don't you?

I can only think of a Murvi that has a front lounge if you discount all vans with a half dinette, which must be the great majority of them that aren't rear lounged. Are there others.

bolero boy - 2013-10-18 7:57 PM

Sorry Colin didn't mean to be pedantic. So, are you saying that your van doesn't have a lounge at all, as you have single beds at the other end don't you?

I can only think of a Murvi that has a front lounge if you discount all vans with a half dinette, which must be the great majority of them that aren't rear lounged. Are there others.

A grey area, by convention a dinette is not a lounge, there have been many vans that do have front lounges, IH, Timberland, Devon, WildAx, even one of the present Globecar range(which is UK only)

That doesn't mean that a dinette can't be used for lounging, as far as I'm concerned our van offers opertunaties for lounging in two areas, the front dinette and the 6ft 6inX 6ft rear bed, this gives us a total of around 8sq.m of van that can be used for lounging, it can comfatably accomadate 5 people lounging, and when we are on family holidays this happens quite often, but more often than not it's just the two of us and one is in the dinette with the other on the bed, so it has no lounge, but a large area to lounge in.

PS biggest disappointment, the Dethleffs E-Van......I did so want to love this small and colourful A Class but a loo actually in the shower tray was just too wacky for me......

What the heck are they thinking ... who wants to have a porta-potti instead of a property built in cassette loo!!! They must be nuts! 8-)

251931962_DethleffsEvantoilet.jpg.cd01ca7d5f8878f17f9fdd6a80fdcb3c.jpg

Guest JudgeMental

UK shows lamentably poor in getting an idea of the amount of choice available......if your serious about a euro camper, go to a euro show!

panel vans with large lounge on longer wheelbase with king-size transverse rear beds, from Adria (SPX) Possl (family L) and La Strada (various)

I've had a shuftie at the IH website and the N-Class 630 SL specifically, the sliding settee has large a much wider 'knee roll' front than the rest of the seat in which case it may be that this is where the 4'10" bed width is taken from, not the actually 'seat' part of the settee, if I'm correct then you would have to sleep with your tootsies in the slide out and your head towards the side door to have sufficient shoulder room, or lengthways and not therefore use the slide out ... it is difficult to tell from the pictures on their website.

1278497502_IH630SL.jpg.7398a70dde0f5964b41446442230bf9b.jpg

1902712240_IH630SLbed.jpg.e50eb1097db902cb28b7f712ce00e851.jpg

Guest 1footinthegrave
JudgeMental - 2013-10-18 9:27 PM

UK shows lamentably poor in getting an idea of the amount of choice available......if your serious about a euro camper, go to a euro show!

panel vans with large lounge on longer wheelbase with king-size transverse rear beds, from Adria (SPX) Possl (family L) and La Strada (various)

How utterly predictable, yes get a European camper whatever that is complete with draughty steel rear doors, then it doubles up as a builders skip. Tell me Eddie do you really enjoy the cramped and stupidly high bed in your van, you should take your anti UK blinkers off now and again. By the way,have you sorted out your recent problems out with your "euro" van. >:-)

Guest JudgeMental

you live in the dark ages you miserable old grumble.....no draughts,and who in their right mind would want to lose the practicality of rear doors! Best laugh this morning, pictures above with narrow uncomfortable looking bed, just where you dont want it, right in the middle of van..I bet come bed time and some one fancy s an early night or a lay in in the morning a real laugh!

here is a video showing a pretty common layout for a panel van...so where is this high bed I wonder....more chance of that in your imagination or a CB.

seems that your main objective on here are to spread discord and negativity.....

Mel B - 2013-10-18 9:41 PM

I've had a shuftie at the IH website and the N-Class 630 SL specifically, the sliding settee has large a much wider 'knee roll' front than the rest of the seat in which case it may be that this is where the 4'10" bed width is taken from, not the actually 'seat' part of the settee, if I'm correct then you would have to sleep with your tootsies in the slide out and your head towards the side door to have sufficient shoulder room, or lengthways and not therefore use the slide out ... it is difficult to tell from the pictures on their website.

Mel, I'm guessing its head in the alcove, I'd feel a bit odd with no headboard or wall behind me for my morning cuppa.

Mel B - 2013-10-18 9:24 PM

PS biggest disappointment, the Dethleffs E-Van......I did so want to love this small and colourful A Class but a loo actually in the shower tray was just too wacky for me......

What the heck are they thinking ... who wants to have a porta-potti instead of a property built in cassette loo!!! They must be nuts! 8-)

Yes, you can buy a lot of nuts for £70+k!

JudgeMental - 2013-10-19 7:06 AM

you live in the dark ages you miserable old grumble.....no draughts,and who in their right mind would want to lose the practicality of rear doors! Best laugh this morning, pictures above with narrow uncomfortable looking bed, just where you dont want it, right in the middle of van..I bet come bed time and some one fancy s an early night or a lay in in the morning a real laugh!

here is a video showing a pretty common layout for a panel van...so where is this high bed I wonder....more chance of that in your imagination or a CB.

seems that your main objective on here are to spread discord and negativity.....

Eddie, SPX a real improvement over the SP,with a bit more space in the front of the van. A little more space has made a huge difference. It's actually the difference between not enough room and just enough room.

Would not have SP as too small and cramped in the front, can't get legs under dinette, nowhere to put feet up etc, so can't have pals in for a drink, BUT SPX changes a lot of that with the slim side settee. Also washroom much better, could never go back to any washroom with a shower curtain......ugh!

colin - 2013-10-18 8:34 PM

A grey area, by convention a dinette is not a lounge, there have been many vans that do have front lounges, IH, Timberland, Devon, WildAx, even one of the present Globecar range(which is UK only)

That doesn't mean that a dinette can't be used for lounging, as far as I'm concerned our van offers opertunaties for lounging in two areas, the front dinette and the 6ft 6inX 6ft rear bed, this gives us a total of around 8sq.m of van that can be used for lounging, it can comfatably accomadate 5 people lounging, and when we are on family holidays this happens quite often, but more often than not it's just the two of us and one is in the dinette with the other on the bed, so it has no lounge, but a large area to lounge in.

Colin, how can five people comfortably lounge in a Globecar 636SB unless some of them are in bed?

You'd have to be really good friends to be sat together in the dinette 'relaxing' and that only leaves the two cab seats. A bit anti social to have 5 people in for drinks and then banish some to the bedroom tho this actually might be interpreted as 'social'. ;-)

Guest JudgeMental

Chris, something has to give..if you want more front lounge you cant have rear single beds, so if happy with transverse beds there are now a few vans where the extra length used up front as i posted above...I would have probably bought the SPX if it had been available at the time. that said I am happily typing this sitting in reversed passenger seat with feet up on sofa watching BBC breakfast tv...and if my wife was with me she would be undisturbed in the king size bed at back.....a simple layout with good storage that works

the fact is the thing you do most in a camper is spend time in bed, so that a size/comfort priority IMO

possl family L with larger lounge....

http://tinyurl.com/o5kva73

surely hardly of interest to you chris as thought you were after a cathargo/hymer :-D

Always check out all the possibilities Eddie, and all advice taken on board. Yes, SPX a bit better from our perspective.

We love our own van for many reasons (layout, storage, etc), really want to love smaller PVCs for their obvious size and manoeuvrability advantages (but are yet to be convinced tho the SPX is helping...), we are also going to be spending even more time away (after daughter has decided to get married in the Spring after 8 years of living with BF) so next van may be more winterised with garage for electric bikes hence looking at German type vans. Wife very taken with Frankia yesterday.........

Enjoy the sunshine.

Guest JudgeMental
bolero boy - 2013-10-19 7:47 AM

colin - 2013-10-18 8:34 PM

Colin, how can five people comfortably lounge in a Globecar 636SB unless some of them are in bed?

You'd have to be really good friends to be sat together in the dinette 'relaxing' and that only leaves the two cab seats. A bit anti social to have 5 people in for drinks and then banish some to the bedroom tho this actually might be interpreted as 'social'. ;-)

agree..cant see it myself, panel vans really only for 2 I think...... When our kids joined us in Croatia and Italy last year/year before, even though thy were sleeping in tents, daughter always wanted to be in van even though it was 35 deg....cant imagine what it would have been like if it rained :-D travelling was OK though...

Archived