Palmowski

Rayjsj

Hello all ! I know that this has been asked before,but i can't find the 'threads' (but I am dressed !!). I am finally thinking of replacing 'The Duchess' (1988 Autosleeper Talbot Talisman) my missus is fed up of people saying 'but isn't it in beautiful condition' in a slightly patronising tone.She didn't know that an 'E' registration meant that her pride and joy was pushing 18 years old..... SO, I have permission to start looking for a replacement......Shock Horror ! How Much ??? thats more than I paid for the House ! which brings me to 'Palmowski' German dealer (advertises in MMM) has a website, prices are well...reasonable, I know,a long way away,but from what I read.... some big British dealers arern't up to much in customer aftercare anyway? Whats the info ? has anyone been over (with pockets stuffed with Euro's ??) and bought one ? i am considering a 'New' one, at 'those ' prices I can just about afford one. (they were ALL new once upon a time) Pitfalls, Government Dissaproval, Logistics, Etc., Etc., Please let me know. Regards RayJ :->

Can't help with Palmowski, but it's nearing the end of the season now, so good deals may well be available.

However, there will be new base vehicles under all the 2007 offerings (unless they're Renault Master based, and even the Masters are getting new engines), so you might wish to consider waiting 'till next year.

Also, insurance for personal imports should get easier after next June.  I'm about to start a new string on that subject, so won't go into the details here.

I guess the end of 2006 models, still on the "old" base vehicles, will be up for grabs at quite good prices, though.  Just make sure you don't pay too much, because I'd expect the prices of the 2006 and earlier 'vans to drop a bit more than usual as the ones on the new bases come in.

If collecting your new 'van from Germany before next June, do make sure you have understood exactly what insurance cover you have from your UK insurer, and where that cover commences and, even more importantly, exactly what scope of cover is available to you for the journey from the German dealer to UK.  It can be very scanty, and very difficult to improve on it in either Germany or UK.

For more details on what to do, when, to whom, and in what order, apply for a copy of Mel Eastburn's paper on importing a motorhome.  Details in MMM, usually somewhere around where the travel consultants' contact details are given.  It is very clear and comprehensive, and it worked for us!

Good luck

hi ray my only dealings with palmowski were in asking for a price on a hymer C614GT. by the time they replied i'd been over to the hymer dealer in belgium and bought it. their reply didn't give a price anyway. assuming that like most MH dealers their aftersales service is slower than presales i'd avoid them. very satisfied with Campirama in belgium. 60% of their sales are to UK customers. they are just over an hour from calais. i had no problem with vat & registration. i saved £12,000 on the £48,000+ that brownhills wanted. mike

Archived