Channel Tunnel secret charge

Curtisden

WE are a Eurotunnel Frequent Traveller and find this the only way to travel across the Channel. Especially with a Dog.

But last month while using our last pair of tickets that we had paid for 11 months before.

The day before traveling out we amended the booking in and out and removed our dog saving £10x2 £20.

On arrival a 3pm the next crossing which normally shows a £20 excess to the following crossing which we were booked on showed up on the screen as no charge?

WE took this and asked at the check point if this was correct to be told If it say no charge thats it no charge!

On return we checked our account to find a £20 excess charge for that crossing?

On E Mailing Eurotunnel they said that as my account was in credit because while they took the payment in full 11 months before, they take 6 weeks to refund. The account was therefore in credit and so there was no charge???!!!!

I now have a refund after pointing out that No Charge means No Charge in law!

Minor hick up but will not put me off using them as its just so much quicker, convenient and flexible.

Peter (lol)

Trying to understand where the secret charge.

Forget the doggies as they do not come into it.

Forget the payment 11 months in advance.

You arrived early and were advised you could get an earlier train at no charge

On return you found you had been charged £20

You contact office and get refund as you had been charged incorrectly.

I see an error but where is the secret charge?

sshortcircuit - 2013-10-10 7:48 PM

Trying to understand where the secret charge.

Forget the doggies as they do not come into it.

Forget the payment 11 months in advance.

You arrived early and were advised you could get an earlier train at no charge

On return you found you had been charged £20

You contact office and get refund as you had been charged incorrectly.

I see an error but where is the secret charge?

The way I look at it is that they took an excess charge without advising me while having stated clearly that there was no charge. Thats an undisclosed cost. Not an error.

If I had not checked my account I may not have noticed as Eurotunnel gave no advice or receipt for that excess that they took. Simply stated" no charge".

The way Eurotunnel explain this is that as funds/credit were there and they took them and that is there right.

Those funds were programmed for refund. This was a booking account not a banking option IMO.

They do not see any reason to advise you that the cost of a crossing may involve a price rise in this situation. They state there was no error. The only reason I got a refund was my seeking clarification from the Check in booth.

I still believe it was a hidden charge. It was so at the toll booth checkin. If it had said that this crossing involves an excess I would have taken my booked crossing 45 mins. later.

Archived