Motorhome Cleaning

Corky 8

Over the years I have tried all kinds of trestles / step ladder,s to stand on to enable me to reach the top parts of my motorhomes most trestles are (even though I,m 6 ft) too short and I find step ladders to unstable , I came across this firm selling scaffold, which I have since bought and find them Idea for washing and polishing my motorhome which dont cost the earth, they are light enough to move around with ease and you can purchase wheels to make them more Manoverable, I have no connection to this firm I just thought you may find them as usefull as I have done,  http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/271195210300?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649 hope its of help to some of you, safe Journey,s.

Or even cheaper and safer :-) , get an extending cleaning brush that fits on to a hose.I have 3 extending hose fit brushes , they still dont get the dried flies off no matter how much I use the brush, and besides the brush wont apply and remove the polish to a high standard ,   Back to elbow Grease.

For my van, it's just the sloping bit above the front windscreen, it's not really worth buying scaffolding just for that, but I can't work out any other way (I want to polish it, a brush wouldn't do it. I've tried reaching down from the roof, scares me silly.,)

Tea Cup - 2013-10-11 8:01 PM

For my van, it's just the sloping bit above the front windscreen, it's not really worth buying scaffolding just for that, but I can't work out any other way (I want to polish it, a brush wouldn't do it. I've tried reaching down from the roof, scares me silly.,)

I think with most 'vans it's the bit above the windscreen that's hard to get to. My old 1999 E700 Hymer like most A class 'vans has fibreglass gel coat surfaces front and back and were as dull as ditch water when I bought it even though it wasn't very old at the time. Plus some nit-wit had used truck wash which didn't do the graphics any favours. So I had a local graphics firm copy them, cleaned up and washed the gel coat and using a polishing machine, the one that looks like an angle grinder with variable speed control gave the front panel a good going over with 3M Finesse-it as used in the boat and motor industry. You can use this stuff by hand as well. With new graphics applied I then used Meguiar's 56 Marine RV pure wax carnauba blend. Easy stuff to use and applied by hand. A coat off this stuff every 6 months is plenty. Flies and insects are not a problem. Don't use anything other than a wash brush on a pole and clean water to wash the van, ie no shampoo, wash and wax just water. Iv'e had a 'van for 15 years and tried most things for cleaning and this is the best I have found and in all those years I've never found an easy way to reach the panel above the 'screen. Sorry about that :-S

keninpalamos - 2013-10-12 9:21 AM

Plus some nit-wit had used truck wash which didn't do the graphics any favours. So I had a local graphics firm copy them, cleaned up and washed the gel coat and using a polishing machine, the one that looks like an angle grinder with variable speed control gave the front panel a good going over with 3M Finesse-it as used in the boat and motor industry. You can use this stuff by hand as well. With new graphics applied I then used Meguiar's 56 Marine RV pure wax carnauba blend. Easy stuff to use and applied by hand. A coat off this stuff every 6 months is plenty. Flies and insects are not a problem. Don't use anything other than a wash brush on a pole and clean water to wash the van, ie no shampoo, wash and wax just water. Iv'e had a 'van for 15 years and tried most things for cleaning and this is the best I have found and in all those years I've never found an easy way to reach the panel above the 'screen. Sorry about that :-S

Tuckwash or TFR comes in many strengths (so read the instructions) and I have seen several vans like yours where the graphics have been washed out with TFR. Wouldn't recomend using a polishing machine if you are not used to using one as it is so easy to burn through the gel coat, if unsure use any abrasive by hand. I use Mequiars Marine wax on GRP panels and find it to a top notch product. I am not sure about just cleaning with water but the essential thing is to make sure its very wet before brushing or wiping ( less abrasion)

fjmike - 2013-10-12 11:04 AM

Plus some nit-wit had used truck wash which didn't do the graphics any favours. So I had a local graphics firm copy them, cleaned up and washed the gel coat and using a polishing machine, the one that looks like an angle grinder with variable speed control gave the front panel a good going over with 3M Finesse-it as used in the boat and motor industry. You can use this stuff by hand as well. With new graphics applied I then used Meguiar's 56 Marine RV pure wax carnauba blend. Easy stuff to use and applied by hand. A coat off this stuff every 6 months is plenty. Flies and insects are not a problem. Don't use anything other than a wash brush on a pole and clean water to wash the van, ie no shampoo, wash and wax just water. Iv'e had a 'van for 15 years and tried most things for cleaning and this is the best I have found and in all those years I've never found an easy way to reach the panel above the 'screen. Sorry about that :-S

Tuckwash or TFR comes in many strengths (so read the instructions) and I have seen several vans like yours where the graphics have been washed out with TFR. Wouldn't recomend using a polishing machine if you are not used to using one as it is so easy to burn through the gel coat, if unsure use any abrasive by hand. I use Mequiars Marine wax on GRP panels and find it to a top notch product. I am not sure about just cleaning with water but the essential thing is to make sure its very wet before brushing or wiping ( less abrasion)

Dito. I wish the person who used truck wash on my 'van had taken your advice. I did say that 3M can be used in conjunction with a polishing machine or by hand. I think most people would understand that friction causes heat which can....blah blah blah. and as for washing off with just clean water and brush seems to work for me. I don't really see the point of using a shampoo, motorhome cleaner etc when you have spent so much time giving the gel coat a good coat of wax only to wash it off again. If the wax is of good quality the cra...sorry flies, bugs and insects come off with minimal effort using a standard wash brush and if you are using a" wash" brush then water will be used somewhere during the operation. Anyway as I was saying, Falcon signs (falconsigns.co.uk) copied my graphics and after I had finished polishing the gel coat and removing the old graphics the new one's were applied and wax applied to both panel and graphics. That was last year and still looking good. I have no connection with Falcon signs, Brick Kiln Works New Road, Chidlrey, Oxon OX12 9PG open Mon. to Fri. 08.30 - 17.00 tel 01235752248 at all and was merely passing ;-)

Dito. I wish the person who used truck wash on my 'van had taken your advice. I did say that 3M can be used in conjunction with a polishing machine or by hand. I think most people would understand that friction causes heat which can....blah blah blah. and as for washing off with just clean water and brush seems to work for me. I don't really see the point of using a shampoo, motorhome cleaner etc when you have spent so much time giving the gel coat a good coat of wax only to wash it off again. If the wax is of good quality the cra...sorry flies, bugs and insects come off with minimal effort using a standard wash brush and if you are using a" wash" brush then water will be used somewhere during the operation. Anyway as I was saying, Falcon signs (falconsigns.co.uk) copied my graphics and after I had finished polishing the gel coat and removing the old graphics the new one's were applied and wax applied to both panel and graphics. That was last year and still looking good. I have no connection with Falcon signs, Brick Kiln Works New Road, Chidlrey, Oxon OX12 9PG open Mon. to Fri. 08.30 - 17.00 tel 01235752248 at all and was merely passing ;-)

keninpalamos - 2013-10-13 12:08 PM

Falcon signs (falconsigns.co.uk) copied my graphics and after I had finished polishing the gel coat and removing the old graphics the new one's were applied and wax applied to both panel and graphics. ;-)

Thanks for that update I have a few customers who will want to go down that route. Not all of them have suffered from TFR, most are from badly made graphics from when the vehicle was new

To reach the area over the cab I use two bits of plywood joined with right angle brackets. One has some angle aluminium which hooks over the rear edge of the bonnet, with a cut length of pipe insulation over that edge to protect the paint. The other end is on the ground . The result is a stable strong platform on which I can stand to work. Simple and cheap just take care not to get carried away and step off the edge!

Archived