Possl or Poessl?

PCC

So which is it? Brochures say Possl and Possl is written on the vans, but the website and email address say Poessl.

Has the name changed? Is it a rather strange German joke? Or is it a slip in the famed German efficiency?

I'm puzzled.

Peter

PCC - 2013-10-11 3:54 PM

So which is it? Brochures say Possl and Possl is written on the vans, but the website and email address say Poessl.

Has the name changed? Is it a rather strange German joke? Or is it a slip in the famed German efficiency?

I'm puzzled.

Peter

Probably because in German there is an " umlaut " ( i.e. two dots over the letter 'o' ) which is not pronounceable in English.

The English pronounciation would be something like ' Persl '

I don't think the Germans have any reputation for making jokes have they ?

:-D

p.s. well it looks like we all agree on something !

Guest JudgeMental

either? but I have always said Possl, they use both as this copy of link shows

"[PDF]

Always best on the road. - Pössl

www.poessl-mobile.de/download/kunde/2011/.../Poessl_Prospekt_EN.pd...?

PÖSSL. Always best on the road. Pössl Motorhomes ..."

dealer that a few of us use in Germany, sells about 40 vans a week in season...extrapolate that out through the dealerships in europe and they are shifting a serious amount of metal....

for some reason Possl seems to be a bit cheaper then the more or less identical globecar..but personally cant stand the Globecar graphics..

PCC - 2013-10-11 3:54 PM

I'm puzzled.

Peter

I assume they use " Poessl " for e-mail and website because there are no " umlauts " on most qwerty keyboards, so a lot of people couldn't type their name.

:-|

The company was founded by Peter Pössl (now retired) around 1990, so "Pössl" is the 'correct' name.

As has been pointed out, accented letters are not allowed for things like URLs - hence www.poessl-mobile.de or www.buerstner.com

I suspect that most UK people would pronounce Pössl like "possible" but (apparently) that's not how a German would.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YoC0-QVK8KY

Archived