Is it worth paying CC and CCC subscriptions?

Sundowner

I know that this subject has been talked into the ground, but here we go again!

We've just spent three nights at Ulwell near Swanage on an independent site.

Motorhome, two people, EHU, immaculate toilets and showers, indoor swimming pool, pub, restaurant and well stocked shop on site. £11 per night. Enquired about vacancies for over the New Year (31st. Dec.-3rd. Jan.) £16 per night! Enough said?

Guest pelmetman

If you intend to spend your camper vanning time in the UK.............then probably belonging to one or other of the two main caravaning corporations maybe of use ;-)...........

They maybe called clubs ;-)..............but to them your just a number *-)

For me, who mainly Stays on Sites with facilities and some CL's , then Yes, The CC sites are always 'up to a standard' (a bit like a 'little chef', you know what you are going to get , nothing Flash, but reliable) unlike 'some' privately run sites i have stayed on over the years. And as has been said, I get breakdown cover, M/H insurance etc., from them all at good prices. I don't belong to the C&CC, for previously stated reasons.Although I did once.

In saying this, there has been a 'rash' of 'Elf n Safety' edicts coming down from CC office 'on high' regarding 'Unit positioning' (mainly makes sense). Removal of 'cleaning items' from Toilet blocks Mops n buckets, j cloths , What next ?? (which makes no sense at all !). Think a 'Captain Manwairing' has taken charge of the 'Elf n safety' dept. of the CC. now ! Don't panic, don't panic ! Ray

Sundowner - 2013-10-14 8:20 PM

I know that this subject has been talked into the ground, but here we go again!

We've just spent three nights at Ulwell near Swanage on an independent site.

Motorhome, two people, EHU, immaculate toilets and showers, indoor swimming pool, pub, restaurant and well stocked shop on site. £11 per night. Enquired about vacancies for over the New Year (31st. Dec.-3rd. Jan.) £16 per night! Enough said?

If in a position to claim the over 55 discount with the low season CCC, site fees are very reasonable. Eg Keswick less than £15 per night.

They are just PLC's after your money to maximize their turnover.Just look at their publicity machine.

Try the Motor Caravaners Club instead,they may not have a huge number of CL's

but they retain the ethos, run by members for members.

pelmetman - 2013-10-14 8:35 PM .......They maybe called clubs ;-)..............but to them your just a number *-)

I always assumed that being a paying member of a club you automatically become a shareholder and then people employed were in effect employees of the members. !!!

We have let the Caravan Club subscription lapse this year, Club Sites are too expensive for us even a lot of the CL's are forcing you to have a hook up which we don't need and the prices are rising because of this. The Camping Club suits us better the temporary holiday sites are good value and if you are over 55 you get a discount (generally in mid / low season) on club sites.

Dave

If you holiday a lot in the UK and like the known factors of security and predictability of club sites, or the network of CLs and/or CSs, or the laid back and informal temporary holiday and weekend facilities (CCC only - CC is more formal) and it brings the user peace of mind and enjoyment then probably yes it is very well worth it as in the grand scheme of things the membership costs are not going to alter the way of life of anyone who can afford a motorhome - even if they are a bit OTT for what you actually get in return the annual fees.

If you holiday mainly abroad it probably isn't as by shopping around it is often not hard to equal the insurance and ferry deals - might take a bit longer ferreting about but the deals are there.

Dr Dave - 2013-10-15 8:24 AM

We have let the Caravan Club subscription lapse this year, Club Sites are too expensive for us even a lot of the CL's are forcing you to have a hook up which we don't need and the prices are rising because of this. The Camping Club suits us better the temporary holiday sites are good value and if you are over 55 you get a discount (generally in mid / low season) on club sites.

Dave

Hi Dave how are you ?

We still don't have elec and its still £6.50 pn and we now have an extra HS next to the apple tree :-D

gocro - 2013-10-14 9:49 PM

They are just PLC's after your money to maximize their turnover.Just look at their publicity machine.

Try the Motor Caravaners Club instead,they may not have a huge number of CL's

but they retain the ethos, run by members for members.

To start with neither are PLC's, however who the hell cares what they call themselves or who runs them as long as they provide the site standards they always have.

Morning folks,

( If you hoiday alot in the UK ) This phrase might be slightly out of dat esince the cc took over Alan Rogers organisation to extend its market into Europe. We let our memmbership lapse because we only used club sites twice in two years as we mainly go abroad.

norm

ips - 2013-10-15 10:17 AM

Dr Dave - 2013-10-15 8:24 AM

Dave

Hi Dave how are you ?

We still don't have elec and its still £6.50 pn and we now have an extra HS next to the apple tree :-D

Always fine mate thank you. Good to hear you have put in another hard standing (are the apples eaters or cookers). Hope you are both keeping well.

For anyone who is going up North from the Midlands Ian's site is just a few minutes from the M6 motorway and is a gem. We will be off up to Scotland early next year so will be calling in again.

ips - 2013-10-15 10:17 AM

...... and we stayed on your CS on Saturday 7 Sept on our way south and thought it great. So much so that we put £7 in the envelope instead of £6.50.....for a Scotsman its a bargain :-D

...... and if all CS/CL were like yours, we'd be only too happy to pay Club subs to get access.

Unfortunately after your CS we stayed on one in Surrey. £12/night + £1 for electric hook up. It was nowhere near as nice as yours in fact it was a tip in comparison ..... (near Rusper for those interested)

Keep up the good work IPS. We will be back

Arthur :-)

Arthur

Thank you, that is very kind of you I am glad you enjoyed your stay.

Yes I remember, Lynn mentioned that you had overpaid that was a very nice gesture.

Hope to see you again soon, help yourself to apples but if you make a pie whilst on site there is a new rule that we get a slice :-D

Ian

Hi folks.

Answer depends on your requirements.Club sites are generally well kept for both clubs. Cls and Cs sites are widely spread and variable from bucket and chuckit at worst, to almost top grade .

My main complaints are the ever increasing fees , always rising well above inflation, and the occasional reports of "jobsworth in charge".

Weekend rallies with cc provide the opportunity to have short breaks at a wide variety of different locations at sometimes moderate prices, other times rather expensive.

THS Sites with ccc seem to me to be better value, with no booking required in most cases..

Cc rallies require prebooking with deposits generally, and from organisers point of view, "no shows" are a recurrent problem.Full payment are now more frequently reqired up front by site owners, and loss of deposits for not showing up cause aggravation.

In my view, if you book a holiday, you either accept the personal loss, or take insurance. Unfortunately, there

doesnt seem to be any suitable insurance which would cover the rally going type of short break.

Both clubs offer other benefits, ferry deals, van insurances, breakdown and recovery services, and continental site booking arrangements if required

We have been CC members for over 30 years, and CCC for over 10.

You pay you money and use the club as you see fit.

Tonyg3nwl

Hi Sundowner,

Like everything I suppose it depends on the number of facilities and services you use. We are members but do not have cc club insurance or breakdown,or book our tunnel or ferry when going abroad. However, the sites are at a decent standard and something we noticed this year when driving south for the ferry was that in our 4 tonner the M6 toll should have cost £11 but C.C discount brought this down to £5.50. As we usually travel this way at least a couple of times a year this makes membership quite reasonable.

ps had to produce membership card at toll station.

cheers

derek

You got a bargain there Sundowner, we were there in September and paid £13.45 ( 16 euro equivalent) with ACSI and I was well pleased with that. Was the swimming pool included in the price, as it was extra for ACSI customers. Not as it bothered us too much we got wet enough just walking round swanage.

Hi Malcy, you did well there, the regular fee for September shows £22 for two people, but does include admission to the swimming pool. I forgot to mention free Wifi up to 100 megabytes for myself, but my wife wanted to watch the Shangai Masters so it cost £3 for 24hrs. unlimited. A quick comparison with the clubs gives varying results, but for my particular dates the costs were CCC - £18 (316.40 age related) CC - £18. In the high season (especially during school holidays the comparison merge a bit more (this site is family orientated). However for 3 nights over the new year £16 - Ulwell, CC - £26.10, CCC - £27.20 per night. Swimming pool included, pub and restaurant on site. Excellent shop sadly closed in the winter. We do not use the club's ferry discounts (good old Tesco), and stick to AA/Saga for insurances. We do belong to both clubs and will probably continue to do so, but do feel they could both give members more incentives to remain loyal. Free Wifi would go a long way to towards keeping many of us happy!

Guest Had Enough

What I find quite heartening about this is that we have two members in this thread who I suspect never use campsites but they are intelligent and sensible enough to know that whilst it's not for them, club membership may suit others.

Clearly, for many, it is worth paying the subscription as hundreds of thousands of people do so every year.

Although I seldom use UK sites I find CC membership worth every penny for other benefits it gives me.

For forty quid I suggest that you sign up for a year and if you don't like it, you've not really lost much.

As has been said, if you do use sites they are always immaculate and there is no gamble on quality as there can be with some private sites.

Archived