Who's your favourite writer then?

Mel B

Here's a topic to get some good responses (hopefully): Who's your favourite motorhome magazine writer then? It can be someone who writes reviews, general interest articles, touring pieces, general info responders (such as to letters), basically anything, so long as they contribute to one of the motorhome mags. Now the rule is: no slagging off others - you can only be POSITIVE about someone on this topic - I know it'll be hard but I'm sure you can do it!

That's an interesting and challenging question Mel. I'm not sure I could single one writer out. I rather like Jonathan Lloyd's (Gentleman Jack Bancroft in other publications) style but I also like Mike Jago's ramblings. Roy Pledger writes some good travel items and of course Clive writes some very intelligent responses to readers queries. If we can include other magazine's writers then I find Dan Wright's travel pieces in Practical quite interesting. But my favourite would have to be me, intelligent, witty, handsome and interesting in a windswept sort of way :D :D :D . D.

"Clive writes some very intelligent responses to readers queries. " Come on Dave, don't forget the FANASTIC circuit and connection diagrams and two several page articles on HOW TO FIT A CRUISE CONTROL over 10 years ago when you were in nappies!!!! (You said I was old enough to be your father!) Plus a dabble with gas on the odd occasion. Thanks for mentioning it, I was to modest to do so. You must pass me a copy of Caravan Camms Comic one day as I don,t read that one. Nice one! C.

I would also go for Jack Bancroft. I have not read M.C.M. for quite a while now, but always enjoyed his views on motorhomes, the people that use them and life in general. Never getting bogged down on the technical side or involved in complex issues, his views were always entertaining and educational. When you consider he does this month after month , then you see why I pick Gentleman Jack for Mel,s annual writer of the year awards. Howard.

Dave You can include writers for other motorhome publications, it doesn't have to just be MMM or Warners. I knew you could write Dave, I just haven't noticed the intelligent bit yet! As for "hansome and interesting in a windswept sort of way", the phrase I'm thinking of includes the words "hedge" and "backwards", probably after chasing your doggie!

Gee thanks Mel, it's nice to know my readers apreciate the efforts I go to! I only have MMM and Practical so I can only comment on writers from those two mags (both of which happen to include me (lol) ). Gentleman Jack writes for several mags including MMM, Practical, The motorcaravanner etc. I have occasionaly looked into the Motorcaravan mag but find it quite dull overall. So who are your favourite writers then Mel? (I don't expect you to include me D. :-D :-D ).

[QUOTE]Dave Newell - 2006-08-20 9:53 AM EH? "You must pass me a copy of Caravan Camms Comic one day as I don,t read that one." I've never even heard of this one Clive! Who's your favourite motorhome writer then? D.[/QUOTE] The "Practical" series were started by F.J. Camm many years ago. Known universally as "Camms Comics" You were probably not around at the time. The first one was Practical Wireless - so you can see the link! My favourite writer is a Janet who writes the NATURE NOTES in our village magazine. In MMM probably those who have the biggest tounge in their cheeks and a mischevious sence of humour. Not me, I am too serious. Probably Jane Jago although I have this suspicion that she sometimes puts Mikes name under her words. When they operate as a close team its difficult to sort out who says what. I haven,t ever purchase or been given a copy of Practical Motorhome and don,t feel the need. If it came free then I would peruse it. But I get more fun writing words than reading them. All I need now is good spelin and granmar chequer. C.

Just thinking of my annual writer of the year awards. Why not. We already have awards ranging from most innovative sink plug to best motorhome over 30 metres. Quite often one writers comments can make or break a new model so lets put them in the dock for a change. Every year we could have picturs of Mel presenting this award in all the mags. The award could come in the shape of a gold plated motorhome crossing a model of the Humber bridge ( s**t . Another broken promise ) The posibilitys are endless. Howard.

[QUOTE]howardtcz - 2006-08-20 11:12 AM I would also go for Jack Bancroft. I have not read M.C.M. for quite a while now, but always enjoyed his views on motorhomes, the people that use them and life in general. Never getting bogged down on the technical side or involved in complex issues, his views were always entertaining and educational. When you consider he does this month after month , then you see why I pick Gentleman Jack for Mel,s annual writer of the year awards. Howard.[/QUOTE]You must have missed it Dave

Archived