Motorhome obsession with 3.5ton?

Hawcara

Well, Lenny, here's a curve ball......missed a corner of one of the halls yesterday and went over there today. It was the Frankia stand. Wife loves a 680 something or other with fixed transverse bed, massive garage etc, and only 7.11mtr. Direct competitor for Hymer B594 or Cathargo, so that's a turn up.

Just dropped into N+B and saw the Arto 66, I think, with offset island bed ......wow, really nice.

Good luck with the deals.

I'm not sure whether I'll need a C1 licence for my motorhome next year when I turn 70. Here's a photo of mu van's plate: which figure is the critical one?

Photo too big! the figures on the plate are

3500 Kg

5500Kg

1. 1850 Kg

2. 2120 Kg

3. blank

Guest pelmetman
chasm - 2013-10-18 4:20 PM

I'm not sure whether I'll need a C1 licence for my motorhome next year when I turn 70. Here's a photo of mu van's plate: which figure is the critical one?

3500 Kg

5500Kg

1. 1850 Kg

2. 2120 Kg

3. blank

I think your OK ;-)...............as I suspect the 3500 Kg is your gross vehicle weight..........and the 5500 Kg is your gross train weight...............1 & 2 are your axle weights........and they never add up to the same as the gross vehicle weight ;-)....

chasm - 2013-10-18 4:20 PM

3500 Kg MAM (GVW)

5500Kg GTW

1. 1850 Kg Max Front Axle Load

2. 2120 Kg Max Rear Axle Load

3. blank

The top one, so you will be OK with your current vehicle.

(It may, however, be worth considering whether you want to retain any "Grandfather Rights" in order to maintain future options)

Thanks Pelmetman and Robinhood, for your advice. Our 'van is getting long in the tooth as well (150,000 miles since 2002). I note your advice about retaining grandfather rights in case we had to buy a heavier replacement. Must think about that!

With reference to "grandfather rights", you still of course need to take a medical to retain your licence if you want to drive vehicles over 3500kgs. However, when I took my medical to retain these "rights", I was also given back my HGV licence which I had let go after retirement. This was only for 12months though because retaining an HGV licence requires an annual medical. This leads me to believe that it is possible to let your "grandfather rights" elapse when you reach 70, but regain them at any time in the future, subject to passing the necessary medical. If I still need my 3500kgs. plus requirement when I'm 73, they will probably once again give me back my HGV licence for another year! I won't be able to use it professionally though because in their wisdom, our EU masters now require all HGV drivers to hold a Certificate of Competence - a slightly diluted version of the licence required to act as a Transport Manager.

Once more though at risk of boring you, if you need a 3500kg. motorhome with a decent payload try an Adria Compact - 795kgs once replated from 3300 - 3500kgs.

Archived