CoPilot - not the human kind...

Caroline

Guest Had Enough
Caroline - 2013-10-17 10:52 AM

Having read about AutoRoute 2013 on a thread and finding it was a Microsoft tool without buying a new toy is no good to me as I am an Apple Girl.

CoPilot has been recommended to me has anyone had any experience of it.

(?)

I use it in my motorhome and have done so, all over Europe, for two years. If you have a smartphone with a largish screen it is superb. I paid for mine, maps included but now, for my phone (Android) the application is free and you choose your maps. UK and Ireland is £20 and the whole of Western Europe is £30 I think. The Europe maps include UK so you don't pay twice! £30 is the total.

Auto Express magazine voted it its best buy and it gets rave reviews on Google Play the Android apps shop.

I was faced with a choice of buying a stand-alone sat-nav for three figures or using Co-Pilot for thirty quid! Easy choice! And one less piece of equipment to clutter up the 'van or to worry about getting pinched!

Once installed it uses no data so costs nothing in data download charges. I have already had map upgrades at no charge.

I'm on Android but I'm pretty sure that all my comments apply to other platforms.

Guest Had Enough
Tracker - 2013-10-17 11:14 AM

I'm all for carrying less clutter but the drawback of having everything on one device is that if/when that one device fails you are then up a certain creek without a paddle - unless you carry a spare device?

What are the chances of a smartphone failing? Or a sat-nav failing? Would you take a spare calculator in case your smartphone failed, or a hard copy address book with everyone's phone numbers and addresses in?

I'm not going to take a spare TV or a spare satellite dish just in case one fails! I'm not going to take a spare portable Calor Gas cooker in case my built-in cooking system fails.

In the unlikely event of a sat nav failing I'd use my atlas. If my smart phone conked out I buy a disposable cell phone for a few Euros and if my TV failed I'll read more books and buy a newspaper now and again. It's really not to difficult to overcome the odd product failure, but as I've said, I've never had a problem yet.

Thanks Had Enough.

I am lucky enough to have a Garmin Dezl as well and I understand your comments of less clutter, but like Tracker says the comfort of having a backup system is essential if you are travelling alone.

I wanted to use the system to plan routes in advance and plot in specific places of interest along the way so I could use the Sat Nav on a point by point basis. I like the idea of having it on the IPad cause there are no creases or folds in the mapping. Or if stuck in heavy traffic pull over and look for an alternative route. Basically I am trying to replace Atlas.

Does it work well without internet access, I guess without GPS the mapping will not plot how far along the route you are.

How often do you get up grades, are the maps seamless if you have them all? So from the UK I could go straight to the continent. Silly question I know…

Guest Had Enough
Caroline - 2013-10-17 11:54 AM

Thanks Had Enough.

I am lucky enough to have a Garmin Dezl as well and I understand your comments of less clutter, but like Tracker says the comfort of having a backup system is essential if you are travelling alone.

I wanted to use the system to plan routes in advance and plot in specific places of interest along the way so I could use the Sat Nav on a point by point basis. I like the idea of having it on the IPad cause there are no creases or folds in the mapping. Or if stuck in heavy traffic pull over and look for an alternative route. Basically I am trying to replace Atlas.

Does it work well without internet access, I guess without GPS the mapping will not plot how far along the route you are.

How often do you get up grades, are the maps seamless if you have them all? So from the UK I could go straight to the continent. Silly question I know…

It works perfectly without the Internet. It's just like a normal sat-nav. It has very large scale maps and the GPS knows exactly where you and it calculates distance, arrival time, journey length and even tells you the altitude of the road you're travelling on and the speed in kph which is very useful and saves looking down at an mph dial with kph a secondary feature, often a bit tricky to see.

The European maps are seamless and you can go from Manchester to Moscow without interruption.

A sat nav is just a computer with GPS and maps installed. SatNavs don't access the Internet, it's done by GPS and inbuilt maps.

A smart phone is a computer with a big screen. You just add sat-nav software in the guise of Co-Pilot.

Co-Pilot on a decent phone will do everything a sat-nav will do. You can pre-programme, it has built-in POIs and and you can add your own, such as campsites and aires.

If you haven't got a sat-nav, why buy one? In extreme circumstances if your smart phone fails you can always buy a cheap sat nav in any town in Europe.

Have a look at this. http://copilotlive.com/uk/personal/iphone.asp

I get upgrades automatically. Google Play just tells me there's an update and I download it. It's the same with iPhone. And I've never paid for an upgrade.

Had Enough - 2013-10-17 11:38 AM

Tracker - 2013-10-17 11:14 AM

I'm all for carrying less clutter but the drawback of having everything on one device is that if/when that one device fails you are then up a certain creek without a paddle - unless you carry a spare device?

What are the chances of a smartphone failing? Or a sat-nav failing? Would you take a spare calculator in case your smartphone failed, or a hard copy address book with everyone's phone numbers and addresses in?

I'm not going to take a spare TV or a spare satellite dish just in case one fails! I'm not going to take a spare portable Calor Gas cooker in case my built-in cooking system fails.

In the unlikely event of a sat nav failing I'd use my atlas. If my smart phone conked out I buy a disposable cell phone for a few Euros and if my TV failed I'll read more books and buy a newspaper now and again. It's really not to difficult to overcome the odd product failure, but as I've said, I've never had a problem yet.

This summer friends of mine took their 40 ft Beneteau from Marseilles to Corsica. Half way over, 100 miles from the nearest land, the Sat Nav (Chart Plotter) failed. They had no back up other than charts, a pair of dividers and parallel rulers, which they had not used for years. They had to quickly re-learn the art of dead reckoning.

They survived

But they now have a back up hand held Sat Nav.

They do fail and quite regularly.

Agree with Jeremy, we have had a Sat Nav fail. we were in a storm and it just went Blank. Had to wait untill we got back to UK, before we could re load the programs, as the detail was only on our main home computer. We now have a back up on the lap top, but we do now have a different Tom Tom. It was an odd experience , as the friend with us , his sat nav was OK. You can't go wrong with good old fashioned paper maps

PJay

Guest Had Enough

We all know that anything can fail but this thread is about the pros and cons of adding a sat-nav application to a smartphone. So let's look at the options. You have a superb smartphone with a large screen and you need a sat-nav with European mapping.

You have two choices. You do as I did and add Co-Pilot Live to your smartphone. For £30 you get a superb sat-nav that's as good as any in the business, which is what I've done and which has served me well over more than two years and on two different phones, a Samsung Galaxy S2 and now an S3.

Or you can spend three figures and buy a separate sat-nav. You spend an extra £100 and have two separate gadgets to worry about. Bit of a no-brainer for me!

There is a very small chance that your sat-nav or your phone will fail. If either fails you go into the nearest town and buy a cheap cellphone for a few euros and if you can't manage without a sat-nav you buy one!

But you only have to take this emergency action if it fails and I've had about 20 cell phones in the last 25 years and not one has ever failed!

Were do we stop? A spare water pump, a spare TV, a small portable gas grill in case the oven conks out?

What I do is assume that nothing will fail, take the least amount of clutter and if anything does go wrong go and buy a replacement.

Now if I was going on a trip across the Gobi Desert I'd probably take a spare water pump and a few other essential spares, but France, Spain, Germany etc. isn't the Third World and you can buy almost anything should an emergency arise.

So once more, to answer the OP, Co-Pilot is brilliant. Load it on your smart phone and don't worry about it breaking down, it's very unlikely and easily remedied if it does.

Guest Had Enough
laimeduck - 2013-10-18 10:44 PM

Ah .... yes of course ... we all know ........ You do know everything I think?

Oh dear! *-) :-(

Hi Caroline

I have found this thread interesting as I had not heard of the Co-pilot app before so having an Samsung S2 I downloaded the free version last week. As I was going out, and passing a speed camera (in France) I did not stop to read the instructions and set off. It did not record the speed camera (good) but also did not warn of a danger zone. Being in the mountains, it was good to read altitude.

However, a few snags which may have been my fault. I could not hear the commentary ( now going deaf) which I can hear plainly on my TomTom. The phone battery ran out very quickly - this might have been my fault or perhaps the phone's as I am having problems with it - never has a problem with any mobile before - but this one keeps losing the network so I could be without a signal for days without knowing. It still works perfectly on wifi. So, if I can solve these problems, it does seem to be a good idea, as a backup if nothing else.

Guest Had Enough
Patricia - 2013-10-19 6:45 PM

Hi Caroline

I have found this thread interesting as I had not heard of the Co-pilot app before so having an Samsung S2 I downloaded the free version last week. As I was going out, and passing a speed camera (in France) I did not stop to read the instructions and set off. It did not record the speed camera (good) but also did not warn of a danger zone. Being in the mountains, it was good to read altitude.

However, a few snags which may have been my fault. I could not hear the commentary ( now going deaf) which I can hear plainly on my TomTom. The phone battery ran out very quickly - this might have been my fault or perhaps the phone's as I am having problems with it - never has a problem with any mobile before - but this one keeps losing the network so I could be without a signal for days without knowing. It still works perfectly on wifi. So, if I can solve these problems, it does seem to be a good idea, as a backup if nothing else.

A couple of points. When in France a warning of a danger zone is actually a warning of a speed camera. This is to overcome recent legislation which makes warning of speed cameras illegal. So now the sat-nav manufacturers (not just Co-Pilot) warn you of an approaching 'danger zone'! Farcical I know but at least you're legal!

Battery life - smart phones are notorious for having a limited battery life and when its processor is working hard as when using Co-Pilot it won't last long. Of course even ordinary sat-navs don't last long unless they're plugged into a 12v cigarette lighter socket, which you will need to do with your S2.

I have an S3 but I had the S2 before and Co-Pilot was fine on that. I'm not sure what your problem is with losing the network. This of course shouldn't affect the Co-Pilot as it only uses GPS.

I find the volume to be fine and I presume that you've found the volume control in Co-Pilot? I'm sure you must have but it's worth mentioning.

12V leads for your phone are available on eBay for about £3 and spare batteries aren't much more if you're having problems with battery life. I bought a spare battery for my S2 for about a tenner. It wasn't a genuine Samsung one but it was just as good.

Batteries do have a limited life and should be restored occasionally. Flatten it totally and then put it on charge overnight with the phone switched off. Do this twice and the battery will perform much better, but as I said, it still won't last forever and you will need to replace it eventually.

For me this is one plus point for the Samsung compared with the iPhone, which I believe has a sealed battery which isn't user replaceable. Big problem if your battery fails!

Ps Crossed with Johnontheroad who says the same about plugging it in!

Thanks guys - yes, I did have it plugged in to the cigarette lighter but that is not much good if you want to walk with it - as it suggests!

No, I didn't find the volume control on the app but, thanks, I will look at that.

I wondered whether the battery was a bit dickey now (only just one year old) and as it oftens switches off itself the battery is well run down and left for hours then on charge, I have investigated a new battery on Amazon etc. and it is difficult as I am in France - many suppliers will not post to there and comments from purchasers are not encouraging. Despite the advert saying "genuine Samsung spare" apparently many don't work and they are obviously not genuine articles.

Actually, O2 have offered to replace the phone but I forgot to do this before leaving the UK.

Will continue the search for new batteries and thanks for the advice. There is the equivalent eBay type sites in France and Amazon.fr too.

Just to add another into the mix.

I mentioned on another thread the "Navigator" app for Android. "Navigator" is the name and the function. In reviews it gets very high praise.

The app is free to download and use. You can either download and freely use the free mapping or pay for the Tom Tom mapping. The maps can be downloaded piecemeal as you require them or just download the lot.

I put the free version of the maps on my Android 'phone and they were very up to date and accurate in Germany, Luxembourg, Belgium and France and they make regular updates available for download. There is even a free speed cam database to download and it has a whole host of POIs.

If your Android device has an included GPS rather than one which works of your 'phones provider it is a great back up or just a more portable device for when you are away from the 'van which may be equipped with a bulky machine. We have a 7" screen Garmin in the 'van which wouldn't travel too well in a pocket.

Hi Caroline,

I have the Co-Pilot App on my WiFi only iPad.
I use it with a Dual GPS Receiver, which is Bluetooth linked to my iPad.
The iPad is mounted in a shell and attached to the dash of our Citroen Relay Motorhome.
The Dual comes with a special mount that sit on the dash - I use the dash mounted clipboard to hold it down securely.
The system works brilliantly. We used it for 5 months this year in the UK and Europe and the only hiccup was when it sent us down some narrow streets in Brittany, but that was my fault because I failed to set up the road preferences properly. 
The Motorhome setting worked fine as we were never routed via any low bridges or other obstacles.
I already had the iPad so it was a no brainer at 30 pound for UK/Europe mapping.
The GPS Receiver has an internal battery that last all day and then some.
The iPad runs off the extra cigar lighter on the dash. 
I have included some pics.

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3798/10418612984_b5fc0cf214.jpg
Dual GPS Receiver

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7457/10418609684_c74e9c355e.jpg
Dash Mounted iPad

Paul M Who - 2013-10-22 10:09 AMHi Caroline,

I have the Co-Pilot App on my WiFi only iPad.
I use it with a Dual GPS Receiver, which is Bluetooth linked to my iPad.
The iPad is mounted in a shell and attached to the dash of our Citroen Relay Motorhome.
The Dual comes with a special mount that sit on the dash - I use the dash mounted clipboard to hold it down securely.
The system works brilliantly. We used it for 5 months this year in the UK and Europe and the only hiccup was when it sent us down some narrow streets in Brittany, but that was my fault because I failed to set up the road preferences properly. 
The Motorhome setting worked fine as we were never routed via any low bridges or other obstacles.
I already had the iPad so it was a no brainer at 30 pound for UK/Europe mapping.
The GPS Receiver has an internal battery that last all day and then some.
The iPad runs off the extra cigar lighter on the dash. 
I have included some pics.

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3798/10418612984_b5fc0cf214.jpg
Dual GPS Receiver

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7457/10418609684_c74e9c355e.jpg
Dash Mounted iPad
Thanks for the info, Paul, I had never seen that Dual receiver but it will be top of my "to buy" list. I had been following forum threads regarding Sat Nav programmes. Like you, I have a Wi-Fi only iPad and I was regretted not having a GPS enabled tablet but this, along with the mapping software, solve that problem. This will give me the large satnav screen I wanted.

Nice pics.

I am not sure I would mount the tablet there, if the passenger side air bag was turned on, as I think that is where the air bag comes out. In the event of even a minor tup the tablet would become a missile and the passenger could end up wearing it permanently.

Guest Had Enough
Frank McAuley - 2013-10-23 5:27 PM

Hi Paul

Perhaps you would be kind enough to describe the function of the DUAL GPS RECEIVER and the cost?

I have the wifi only iPad but never heard of the other device; what mapping and accessories' if any, do you advise please?

To work as a sat-nav device a phone or tablet has to have GPS location facilities. Many don't which makes them unsuitable for adding a good sat-nav application such as Co-Pilot, which is being discussed in this thread.

The GPS receiver is a separate GPS device which, in theory, could be plugged into a tablet computer but it actually works using Bluetooth, so it's a wireless connection.

The main reason that I can see for wanting one of these is that it allows you to put a sat-nav programme on a device with a much larger screen than a smartphone, which must be a huge advantage for some people and make navigation much easier.

Here's a link

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/190915041191?lpid=83&device=c&adtype=pla&crdt=0&ff3=1&ff11=ICEP3.0.0&ff12=67&ff13=80&ff14=83

Guest Had Enough
Frank McAuley - 2013-10-23 6:19 PM

Tyou for prompt reply. I wonder does the latest Apple I pad have the GPS facility installed?

Apple has just launched its new iPad Air model and I believe it has GPS and may be the first iPad to feature it, although I stand to be corrected here by Apple enthusiasts. I'm an Android user myself!

But one huge advantage of the DUAL GPS device is that you can position it in the best place to get good reception and your partner could be holding the iPad on her knee where she can control it. With built-in GPS you may have to find a way of mounting the iPod on the dashboard.

It's probably cheaper to keep your existing iPad and buy the DUAL than trade up to the new model just for GPS.

Edited to say - just done a bit of research. The earlier wi-fi only iPads did not have GPS but the G3 enabled models (where you can make phone calls and download data using your phone plan) did.

So if you have a recent iPad and you can put in a sim card and make phone calls you've probably got GPS, but if it's wi-fi only you haven't!

Archived