CoPilot - not the human kind...

Caroline

Had Enough - 2013-10-17 11:10 AM
Caroline - 2013-10-17 10:52 AMHaving read about AutoRoute 2013 on a thread and finding it was a Microsoft tool without buying a new toy is no good to me as I am an Apple Girl.CoPilot has been recommended to me has anyone had any experience of it. (?)
I use it in my motorhome and have done so, all over Europe, for two years. If you have a smartphone with a largish screen it is superb. I paid for mine, maps included but now, for my phone (Android) the application is free and you choose your maps. UK and Ireland is £20 and the whole of Western Europe is £30 I think. The Europe maps include UK so you don't pay twice! £30 is the total.Auto Express magazine voted it its best buy and it gets rave reviews on Google Play the Android apps shop.I was faced with a choice of buying a stand-alone sat-nav for three figures or using Co-Pilot for thirty quid! Easy choice! And one less piece of equipment to clutter up the 'van or to worry about getting pinched!Once installed it uses no data so costs nothing in data download charges. I have already had map upgrades at no charge.I'm on Android but I'm pretty sure that all my comments apply to other platforms.

A very useful post. Thanks for that.

Frank McAuley - 2013-10-23 5:27 PM

Hi Paul

Perhaps you would be kind enough to describe the function of the DUAL GPS RECEIVER and the cost?

I have the wifi only iPad but never heard of the other device; what mapping and accessories' if any, do you advise please?

Frank

I had a look on EBay for a guide to the cost of these devices, there are a few and range from about £60 upwards and there is one about £95 that has the capabilities of linking to more than one device at a time. I have looked at each device and then Googled to find out more information. I think this is a take your time and study the form before purchasing, so getting the one best suited to your needs.

(lol)

Guest Had Enough
Frank McAuley - 2013-10-24 12:37 PM

Point taken Caroline and agreed. Question to those enlightened mhomers who have been using this method of navigation in mainland Europe, viz: what version of the software were you using,eg the trucking one or does the cheaper version have the facility to accommodate motorhomes/caravans?

I use the paid for version and by coincidence my smartphone told me yesterday that there was an update. The interface has been improved and there are other changes that as yet I haven't had the time to investigate. The update was, as previously, free of charge.

Just like the earlier versions it gives me five choices of transport: car, motorhome, motorcycle, pedal cycle and walking.

I always set motorhome, obviously, but I can't honestly vouch for its efficacy although it has never led me down a road that I couldn't manage.

It really is a superb application and most be brilliant on a large-screen tablet.

Archived